What Are You Listening To? (Vol.16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This not typical of the type of music I normally listen to. But for some reason I like this particular song the more I listen to it.

Editing some metadata for Electronic genre so I can have a more convenient way to listen to this in the car. Getting a bit confused seeing on the internet people say this is electronic but that isn't. I thought it was the use of those electronic keyboards to make those artificial sounds rather than using normal live instruments.

Giant Steps.

It's a rite of passage for serious jazz players to be able to improvise competently over the changes; it utilizes the entire circle of fifths.

It's a hell of a contrast between the piano solo and then John crashing in.
According to legend, John presented the charts, they briefly rehearsed it, then recorded- at a considerably faster tempo. Tommy Flanagan sort of floats over the changes. Then John takes over and touches em all, with absolute confidence and a ton of hot sauce.

Jaco Pastorius, The Chicken.

Jaco is head and shoulders a better player than everyone else, but solid overall.

The soloing from the rest is a bit vanilla, scale based stuff.
But it's cool to hear steel drums playing jazz forms.

@HaulParris Yeah, his solo and Nevermore stuff is so much better than Arch Enemy. But like you said, $$ talks. I've seen Nevermore w/ Opeth few years ago. Also on Gigantour.

The time signature of the backing chord progression is 5/8 - 5/8 - 5/4, and Frank plays a soaring, gorgeous, non linear solo over it: an illusion, because the solo is taken from a live recording of a song in a different meter, isolated, and then he re-recorded it over the top of a new background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back