What do you do for recovery?

I'm in the boat of having 2 young kids that have taken our bed hostage. I can't remember the last time I had 8 hours of sleep let alone 8 hours of uninteruppted sleep except for the one time my wife took the oldest with her to visit home for over 2 weeks. Even then the 1 year old would wake up at least once a night. So ideally for me is trying to maximize sleep, trying to get enough protein and include more nutrient dense foods and not going too crazy with the volume which isn't even possible anyways since I don't have that type of time to train. On top of that doing deload days at the end of each training block.

I have changed my workouts to lower volumes and frequency with addition to doing less taxing exercices more often.

you guys noticed a difference between high or only moderate protein consumption? or is it just the calories?

you guys noticed a difference between high or only moderate protein consumption? or is it just the calories?
I've honestly never noticed a difference. Used to eat protein every 3 hours, now I do intermittent fasting and prob get about 100g protein tops. Think I should probably increase it somewhat however, just because of what most of the research suggests (but then I'm not sure if the research is funded by the dairy or supplement industry)

Me personally do some smash and floss type plus walking 3 times a day for 20-30 min.

i stretch almost daily. not for recovery but i just feel with age, i need to move around on the floor. stretching, joint mobility, sun salutations. stuff like that. and it really makes a difference in being able to move more smoothely.

stress relieve is the second great thing. recovery of the mind. i treat my cardio sessions completely without a goal in mind. i feel my body and if it wants to push then i kick it and if i feel shitty, i just ride some miles and enjoy the fresh air.

i meditate every day for 30 minutes up to 2 hours total. meditation is the shit. but it takes some time to see the changes in mind and behaviour.

but still, sleep quality and calories is king.

Im an old prick now so my days of not doing some type of recovery work are over. What do you guys do? Stretching? Foam rolling/la crosse ball work? The myriad of overpriced stuff sold by Kabuki Strength? Chiropractor? Massage parlor w happy ending?

If someone has a well trained cardiovascular system rekom runs at up to 65% maxHF or other very low intensity workouts (cycling, dancing, whatever) are far more effective than resting on off days. Your cns is more adaptable while being activated.

I go for rekom runs. It really has to be at very light intensity. Most run too fast.

But the most important advice the far majority of people ignore: train intelligent! Do research at least once a month about possible modifications, change ups. I am always perplexed how much time and effort people put into their fitness and how little time most invest in thinking, reflecting and planning their workouts.

Do not only plan what machines, weights you use but reflect your whole training approach and try different models. Do extensive warm ups.

The people I have come to known who train the most idiotic are crossfitters. Cant even watch what they do anymore. The pro crossfitters mostly just take a shitload of PEDs and still train like a lobotomized person. The most intelligent in general are people who have been in competitive athletic sports like track & field, weight lifting...etc.

Back