What do you say to people about your sports betting/gambling? Any advice?

FimbulFightPicks

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I´m wondering for the majority of mma bettors here - do you prefer to not say anything or do you openly speak about? I´m asking because I tend personally to not want to talk about it - as everytime I do, most people do not understand it, tell you to stop, laugh at it or just do not get the work that goes into the research and all they think is dollar signs, easy money and all this stupid stuff that makes losers, losers in gambling.

How do you deal with people asking you about this? I´ve only told few, and even those who did understand it took a very very long time for them to understand, they even had to do it themselves before they really got it.

Most seem to think "poker" or money money money...Does any hve any advice for this? Usually I just mention my regular job - and avoid it, as people seem to just look down on it or just not get it and make light of it.

Really appreciate if anyone could chime in - As I´m sure I´m not the only one who has had to deal with this.

It depends on who I'm talking to. My father and grandfather have (or in the case of my grandfather, had) gambling problems as well as drug and alcohol addictions so it can be a bit of a touchy subject around my family. Out of respect for my mother I don't talk about it when she's around.

But other than that I'll discuss it openly with friends or at work when there is a reason to do so. It's just a hobby and side income to me, I've never felt like anyone has judged me because of it (except for my mother that is).

One thing that I've stopped doing though is trying to give others advice on picks because most are only interested in "locks" and can't grasp the idea of value in terms of betting. Plus I feel responsible for their losses if they lose, even if it ultimately is their responsibility.

i like to keep it low profile now but it is hard when they ask you what you do. I have trouble lying or embellished the truth. I realize people are very nice, respond very positively with a smiley face but behind your back, they think you are full of shit! gambling for living, betting mma for living? who is that joker try to fool? When every person you meet known few person with gambling problem that lost it all, lost family, so I don't blame them for not believing me. I have relative on my in-law side who said I am very lucky to live at home, don't have to pay bills, get to use my dad car but it is my house (pay by poker money/warehouse work), I pay the bills, my parent live with me. I simply say 'yeah', it make them feel good being right than he can talk how hard he work, never rely on his parent.

Last edited:
Quite honestly, as someone who only gambles for shits and giggles, I think you are looking for something that cannot be found.

For every solid gambler there are 10 deadbeat losers.
For every decent person involved in MMA, you have say 3 POS assholes.

MMA gambling? Do the math.

I find it really cool that you can consistently make bank with that but society will never, ever see that activity as something respectable. I would suggest to just deal with it and not care what people think.

If there is 1 solid gambler in every 10 deadbeat loser, I think they(society) will believe and accept you. I think the number of deadbeat loser is much higher. Successful gamble don't really gamble either, once they start to lose or lost their edge they quit. I feel like quitting mma betting so many time, just not really successful at it any more for some reason (I blame losing way too much split decision). If I find something else, I would quit but now, we have no choice. Let see if I can find better success somewhere else, best luck in this pandemic.

If its a woman, I won't mention it. If its a guy I normally tell them it's a profitable hobby and offer betting tips.

Being a gambler is a significant part of my identity, so I just tell people as it is. If they judge me, we probably weren't going to be friends anyway. Most people who I end up getting along with think it's super cool and different. This goes the same for women I date. It's one of the first things I mention, and if it turns them off I saved a lot of effort working for sex I likely wouldn't get anyway.

If you are a gambler, most people will view you as a risk.

and gamble, like it or not is pretty much an adiction.
I think this depends what kind of gambling it is. If you see it as an investment perhaps not. Some people get a rush from it, personally I really do not like having money out, its horrible until it is over, but its an investment. I think not getting that rush, dopamine, and not feeling addicted, like no need for small bets or random stuff is important to success. One of the best gamblers said he also did not enjoy it but only did it because he was good at it, and perhaps partly one of the reasons why he was good at it. It depends from each person I suppose, it can be a major addiction or not at all.

When I came back to gambling in late 2018, I used to have a tremendous surge of emotions based on how I would do with my gambling, as well as a very pleasant rush of adrenaline when I was watching a contest play out.

Gradually though, it kept getting smaller and smaller, to the point now where I'm completely calm, with miminal reaction regardless of whether I've had a great night or a poor one.

That's probably a healthy mindset, all factors considered.

When I came back to gambling in late 2018, I used to have a tremendous surge of emotions based on how I would do with my gambling, as well as a very pleasant rush of adrenaline when I was watching a contest play out.

Gradually though, it kept getting smaller and smaller, to the point now where I'm completely calm, with miminal reaction regardless of whether I've had a great night or a poor one.

That's probably a healthy mindset, all factors considered.
Spot on! I think so too, I read about what you said there aswell, that you really shouldn´t be getting too emotional whether good or bad, but know its a long term game. I think also its about being used to winning, its the mindset, so you get used to it. Definitely a healthy mindset to not be influenced by all those emotions of ups and downs.

If you tell about this to 10 people, 9 people will just believe that you are liar or you have gambling problems and only 1 will ask you about it seriously. Most of people are just stupid fucks and they have very little brain cells or they just do not care about you, they just want to talk about them. You MUST tell what you are and what you do in order smart people to came closer and stupid people to go to play something. Do not be cynical but be proud of what you do who you are.

Back