What fight that left you so shocked that couldn’t get over it

That is one of those moments in life you never forget exactly where you were when it happened.

I was in a sports bar called Champps Americana, and I can probably even point to the table I was sitting at and which TV I was watching. I know I jumped out of my seat when it happened, and that was either the only time or one of two times (the other would have been Holm/Rousey) that I've ever done that.

Silva/Griffin, not the result, which still was pretty surprising, but was just a masterclass performance start to finish with someone looking like they came straight from a movie. It was like watching the matrix in real life. I still sort of will rewatch any of the slow motion gifs that get posted because I think it was such a special moment in mma. Just once in a lifetime perfect flawless fight.
That and Garbrandt/Cruz are my two favorite "Flow State" fights to watch. Where one guy walks in just destined to win, looking like some movie shit.

Aldo vs conor. I knew that it was a tough fight for Jose and that conor had gotten into his head but I never expected that 13 second ending.

Alex vs Izzy 2 (mma) - Man Alex was on his way to getting another TKO/KO but then got over zealous and aggressive and left himself open for that counter (plus his durability at 185 was not the greatest). If he had just stayed patient and continued to slowly break Izzy down he'd be 4-0 against Izzy now.

Penn vs GSP 2 - just total domination from round 2 on. I was somewhat confident that Penn could put up a fight after viewing round 1 but then it just went downhill from there. Then Jason pulling the plug after round 4 of a total beatdown.

Chael vs Silva 1 still haunts me to this day.

Renan Barao vs TJ Dillashaw 1

Barao had a 32-1 pro MMA record, unbeaten for 9 years and riding a 7-fight win streak in the UFC. Some even said Renan was the top pound-for-pound fighter in the world then.

Dillashaw was just 9-2, with losses to Raphael Assuncao and John Dodson, making him a huge underdog. Like many, I thought Barao would breeze through him.

But Dillashaw didn't just win; he dominated and destroyed Barao. That was my first time seeing such a big upset in the sport. Since, I've learned to never count any fighter out - anything's possible.

Renan Barao vs TJ Dillashaw 1

Barao had a 32-1 pro MMA record, unbeaten for 9 years and riding a 7-fight win streak in the UFC. Some even said Renan was the top pound-for-pound fighter in the world then.

Dillashaw was just 9-2, with losses to Raphael Assuncao and John Dodson, making him a huge underdog. Like many, I thought Barao would breeze through him.

But Dillashaw didn't just win; he dominated and destroyed Barao. That was my first time seeing such a big upset in the sport. Since, I've learned to never count any fighter out - anything's possible.
Eeeeeeeeepeeeeeeooooooooohhhhhhhrrrrrrgggghhhhh

Barnett vs Browne.
This was the time when fantasy MMA was just coming out. I was a kid with no money and I had a game on a website called "Kountermove" where I was set to win a few hundred off of a $1 bet if Barnett just survived a round and landed a few punches or takedowns. I didn't expect him to lose, especially not that way, that fast. I was far too upset for the tiny amount of money lost. But at least I learned gambling wasn't for me.

and yeah, Fedor vs Werdum. Hunt vs Werdum too, I was surprised how well Hunt was avoiding the ground game then...

I was in a sports bar called Champps Americana, and I can probably even point to the table I was sitting at and which TV I was watching. I know I jumped out of my seat when it happened, and that was either the only time or one of two times (the other would have been Holm/Rousey) that I've ever done that.

Very cool, those Anderson Silva fights during his title run were the height of MMA excitement to me.

I was at a sports bar in Encinitas, CA, now called The Brewers Tap Room. We had a meetup group back then and that was the first event at this new location. We found out it also happened to be where Team Quest Encinitas got together to watch events so we got to meet Sokoudju. The reaction there when it happened was stunned silence in the entire bar. My friend that started the meetup group was pretty stoked though because he actually sponsored Chris Weidman through his business.

Figured Jones would beat Machida but watching him choke him out and drop his lifeless body to the mat still gets me.

Mirko getting head kicked by Gonzaga was heartbreaking as well. His leg stillakes me cringe watching replays.

Cro Cop/Gonzaga

TheChris x Bruno Silva

This 'double eye poke into a powerless left hook' combo was one of a kind. Celebrating like he beat the dude and that post fight interview........... saying Silva was looking for a way to quit? really? There are slow motion replays, you know? How you look at your wife and kids? No shame?

I have been watching this shitshow since UFC 1, also been in 15ish events (in Brazil and in the US). I never saw anything similar to what happened yesterday and I honestly thought no one could drop that low. He deserves the worst and I will be happy to watch it live.

Back