What happened to Bjorn Rebney???

Lionheart7167

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
After leaving Bellator he tried to get that MMAA thing going for fighter's rights. Since then I haven't heard a word from the guy.
Is he involved in MMA promotion at all anymore? Or MMA for that matter?
What's this dude been up to?

Dude knows how to go off the grid. It was years between him leaving Bellator and that MMAA thing. I would be surprised if he ever hear his name associated with MMA again

I wonder if it was burnout, bad business or just the fact that fighters seemed to hate him that cast him out. Probably a bit of all three.

After what happened with Eddie, there was really no way back into mma for him. He slimed himself out of mma, and with how many scumbags are in this game, that is quite the achievement

After what happened with Eddie, there was really no way back into mma for him. He slimed himself out of mma, and with how many scumbags are in this game, that is quite the achievement
What did he do regarding Eddie?

All I know is the Bellator product was way better with Bjorn in charge.

All I know is the Bellator product was way better with Bjorn in charge.
People say that now but back when Bjorn was in charge people used to HATE him. I think the biggest thing that plagued Bjorn was the fact he had a very poor relationship with the fighters. There would constantly be fighters on the roster with complaints, the nail in the coffin was the Alvarez situation. Under Coker bellator has a stronger roster overall but UFC has become such a giant i dont know if they will ever get bigger than they are now

Probably tied up with rope somewhere [<diva2]

I googled him and got his infamous dad Jack Rebney the Winnebago Man. Famous for his cusing when trying to sell RV camper-trailers on TV. Maybe he has taken over for his father it is a good way to get all that cursing out over losing his promotion.

I never used to hear a good word about Rebney when he was in charge from either the fans or the fighters. I remember a story from Chris Weidman about when he was deciding to go with Bellator or the UFC in his early days. A friend with contract law expertise took a look at the contract Bellator offered him and told him how horrible the terms of it were. The guy always struck me as a very shady character-much prefer Coker, with all his faults, being in charge.

Dana had him killed, so you'll never hear from him again.

People say that now but back when Bjorn was in charge people used to HATE him. I think the biggest thing that plagued Bjorn was the fact he had a very poor relationship with the fighters. There would constantly be fighters on the roster with complaints, the nail in the coffin was the Alvarez situation. Under Coker bellator has a stronger roster overall but UFC has become such a giant i dont know if they will ever get bigger than they are now

Bellator fans were mostly OK with Bjorn and liked his tournament concept…and also kinda liked he was sort of cutthroat like Dana rather than a passive players coach like Coker. After Strikeforce fell right as it was on fire on a standard venture capitalist sell off and Coker seemed weak the whole time SF was in the game …it was interesting to see a guy like Bjorn who wasn’t afraid to get his hands dirty and had some money behind him. He was probably the type of guy that a true competitor would need.

But the Eddie saga probably hurt his standing with fighters. He definitely went a little too hard to keep Eddie. Being able to lock him down using only technical contract language rather than actual numbers was pretty low. It was also when Bellator more or less had the promotional upper hand there. EA won a couple fights in a row but Chandler had one over him. The deal he made with Eddie was too risky. It not only hurt his image with fighters but probably pissed off the suits at Viacom who maybe didn’t see the point in risking so much to keep Eddie when they had Chandler.

Ali Abdelaziz also openly didn’t like Bjorn and that might’ve not been a big deal at the time…but it would’ve become a big deal.

ultimately, I think Bjorn has his particular vision of what his MMA promotion will be. He wants his tournament format. He was openly very resistant to Viacom wanting to move away from it.

I think this is why he hasn’t turned up in another league. I think Bjorn wants to have full control. He doesn’t want to be somebody who is brought in like a manager or head coach and then reviewed after a year or two.

He probably just doesn’t have the money to get going again with a new organization.

Bjorn was invested in building a true alternative product and building new stars and league with continuity. There was a feeling Bellator was always growing with Bjorn. It’s felt stagnant for some years now even though it’s become more talented.

Bellator fans were mostly OK with Bjorn and liked his tournament concept…and also kinda liked he was sort of cutthroat like Dana rather than a passive players coach like Coker. After Strikeforce fell right as it was on fire on a standard venture capitalist sell off and Coker seemed weak the whole time SF was in the game …it was interesting to see a guy like Bjorn who wasn’t afraid to get his hands dirty and had some money behind him. He was probably the type of guy that a true competitor would need.

But the Eddie saga probably hurt his standing with fighters. He definitely went a little too hard to keep Eddie. Being able to lock him down using only technical contract language rather than actual numbers was pretty low. It was also when Bellator more or less had the promotional upper hand there. EA won a couple fights in a row but Chandler had one over him. The deal he made with Eddie was too risky. It not only hurt his image with fighters but probably pissed off the suits at Viacom who maybe didn’t see the point in risking so much to keep Eddie when they had Chandler.

Ali Abdelaziz also openly didn’t like Bjorn and that might’ve not been a big deal at the time…but it would’ve become a big deal.

ultimately, I think Bjorn has his particular vision of what his MMA promotion will be. He wants his tournament format. He was openly very resistant to Viacom wanting to move away from it.

I think this is why he hasn’t turned up in another league. I think Bjorn wants to have full control. He doesn’t want to be somebody who is brought in like a manager or head coach and then reviewed after a year or two.

He probably just doesn’t have the money to get going again with a new organization.

Bjorn was invested in building a true alternative product and building new stars and league with continuity. There was a feeling Bellator was always growing with Bjorn. It’s felt stagnant for some years now even though it’s become more talented.
Lots of really good points here, enjoyed reading that
I loved the tournaments for developing new talent but once fighters became more established it didn't make as much sense. It sucked having your Champs wait around for tournaments to finish and having them fight once or twice a year. Under Bjorn Bellator might have had the most successful MMA PPV outside the UFC. I definitely agree Bjorn was 100% invested in continuing to evolve and grow bellator and not scared to ruffle Dana feathers. Coker is excellent with acquiring talent and keeping fighters happy but he definitely working for people who view this as sports filler on there channel.

Lots of really good points here, enjoyed reading that
I loved the tournaments for developing new talent but once fighters became more established it didn't make as much sense. It sucked having your Champs wait around for tournaments to finish and having them fight once or twice a year. Under Bjorn Bellator might have had the most successful MMA PPV outside the UFC. I definitely agree Bjorn was 100% invested in continuing to evolve and grow bellator and not scared to ruffle Dana feathers. Coker is excellent with acquiring talent and keeping fighters happy but he definitely working for people who view this as sports filler on there channel.

Agreed. The tournament format definitely had its limits.

Which is why it would’ve been good for Bjorn to have a mixture of the same tournaments but then a small ranking system for the fighters that simply are too established and financially secure to fight up to 4 times in 3-4 months.

Some of the brackets got pretty repetitive too. You actually need some pretty frequent roster turnover outside of the champs and a few tournament standouts to keep that system fresh. Bjorn kept too many of the same guys around but it was probably harder to get guys to fight that type of schedule for $100k than we think.

I would’ve liked to see them keep doing the seasonal “earn it” tournament to find a contender..mixed with a separate Coker-esque Grand Prix that included the champion with more established talent. That would’ve been a good evolution to it without completely compromising Bjorn’s “title shots are earned here” and every fight being a tournament fight.

They would just have to figure out creative marketing ways to distinguish the tournaments.

The first round of the GP could’ve been the champ vs the winner of the last tournament and more established contenders/free agent signings filling out the rest.

Back