International What happens if post-Afghanistan military spending doesn't decrease?

What in the world would make you think that would ever happen ?

The Iran war will happen by 2030

Bernie Sanders has created several bills to reduce and audit Pentagon spending but they've been rejected by both parties. Until lobbying gets fixed nothing will ever be done about this.

Is there a way to enact a nationwide referéndum vote on a single issue

So far I am thankful to Joe Biden (and to a lesser extent Trump) for leaving Afghanistan. However it will be essentially useless unless we see defense spending decrease.

One of the main points against staying in Afghanistan was that we were wasting money by the trillions.

So now that the war is over, one would expect military spending to go down. If it doesn't, then we essentially are just shifting our war efforts elsewhere and we really haven't done anything other than give up a country. If military spending doesn't decrease, then I wager we've weakened our position in the world for no reason.

We can only hope sherbro...

We can only hope.

Last time this happened was when Iraq deployments reduced. Then Operation Atlantic Resolve started. Troops getting sent to Germany, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Bulgaria etc etc.

Not sure what will happen with this new surplus of leftover cash now that Afghanistan spending is reduced.

LoL. DoD budget will increase. I know a guy in sales who deals with DoD . They will buy stuff they have no use for at the end of their fiscal year so their budget isnt reduced and given to another area the next year
Dude I know a guy who works for the DOD and his contract was canceled? Wtf right.

Last time this happened was when Iraq deployments reduced. Then Operation Atlantic Resolve started. Troops getting sent to Germany, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Bulgaria etc etc.

Not sure what will happen with this new surplus of leftover cash now that Afghanistan spending is reduced.
Do you think deployments to Eastern Europe post Russian invasion of Ukraine cost as much as deployments to Afghanistan? I don’t think so. Everyone is bracing for a deceased budget, even SOF. It’s clearly going that direction no doubt.

Do you think deployments to Eastern Europe post Russian invasion of Ukraine cost as much as deployments to Afghanistan? I don’t think so. Everyone is bracing for a deceased budget, even SOF. It’s clearly going that direction no doubt.
Maaaaaaaan... I thought that at one point UNTIL the last day of the operation. It was a bunch of aircraft shooting at a mountain. Can't remember the name of the final joint force "EX" but it was massive. It couldn't have been cheep. And the amount of US Troops alone was pretty high. I saw all 4 branches PLUS Army reserve involved. And it's still going on today. A few of the guys in my security company just got back from Poland and they said there is no sign of halting the operation.

Maaaaaaaan... I thought that at one point UNTIL the last day of the operation. It was a bunch of aircraft shooting at a mountain. Can't remember the name of the final joint force "EX" but it was massive. It couldn't have been cheep. And the amount of US Troops alone was pretty high. I saw all 4 branches PLUS Army reserve involved. And it's still going on today. A few of the guys in my security company just got back from Poland and they said there is no sign of halting the operation.
For sure not cheap but similarly I’ve seen a few million bucks dropped on a village in Nangarhar in a few hours. Think about those generators turning in Farah, must cost 5 grand per hour per generator. Afghanistan was not cheap but granted for the last few years SF definitely gave it the best bang for the buck.

The Iran war will happen by 2030

not happening w/ 28 trillion current debt... Cant afford it now let alone in 9 years.

Every single empire goes broke from their military maintaining empire. Every single one turns that military on it's own when peasants revolt. About 250 years is life span so we're due.

not happening w/ 28 trillion current debt... Cant afford it now let alone in 9 years.

Every single empire goes broke from their military maintaining empire. Every single one turns that military on it's own when peasants revolt. About 250 years is life span so we're due.
I don't think there will be a revolt and surely not a collapse. In a few decades the US will just hover back to #2 which isn't bad.

If China moves into #1 so be it. But they have a LOOOONG history of pulling shit that screws themselves in the long run.
- unintentionally bringing on its own famine
- the great leap forward
- Mao telling China to have a shit load of kids thinking they would need numbers to take over the world when US and USSR destroy each other (which obviously never happened).
- one child policy (which we are still waiting to see the effects of).

And those are just off the top of my head.

You can start spending it on the real problem, China.

LoL. DoD budget will increase. I know a guy in sales who deals with DoD . They will buy stuff they have no use for at the end of their fiscal year so their budget isnt reduced and given to another area the next year

It's even worse than that. I've seen an entire warehouse full of unopened televisions that nobody will ever use.

One of the big problems is that department budgets - every single department of every facility at every base in the military - are based on how much was spent during the last fiscal quarter. Supply Officers will straight up tell you "You have 2 weeks to spend $40k or your budget will be less next quarter. Buy anything you want." Then they will do an indoc training on waste, fraud and abuse without a hint of irony.

U

Use it or lose it is toxic and has created a terrible system of incentives in the govt.
my dad was in the NG as an officer He was trying to trade paint for whatever. He was told if he has enough paint he could get a Huey.
The military badly needs an audit. I’m sure we could still have the same size and strength for half the budget.
Is this post from Pre 2018? Because since 2018 the DOD has been audited. They haven’t “passed” though. It’s written into the NDAA that the DOD is audited through IG and private accounting services.

Just because a department, agency, division etc. have leftover funds doesn’t mean it’s a free for all at the end of the FY, like right now.
Certain funding is obligated for projects and programs and may not be transferable to other programs or efforts.

Is this post from Pre 2018? Because since 2018 the DOD has been audited. They haven’t “passed” though. It’s written into the NDAA that the DOD is audited through IG and private accounting services.
Had they audit had any impact? I really doubt it given the ballooning budget
And yes say before My dad served until the early 90s. My brother went to Iraq in 11 and Afghanistan two years later.

Nothing. Nothing will happen.

Back