International What has meaningfully changed in America since 9/11?

hurr durr! what points? dated before you made this post, let's hear them! what points did you make einstein? you arent going to play your spin game with me. quote the source or run like a bitch.

You were painting the western countries as racist. I showed you reasons why they are not.

Pro: Airports are more secure
Con: The public are being spied on extensively and this data is being used to help create more effective propaganda

You were painting the western countries as racist. I showed you reasons why they are not.

laughing-hysterically-thats-funny.gif

just like i said, you couldnt. keep running, chuddy chud chud!

They've become more authoritarian, as fear of the world outside has compelled them to allow reductions to their freedoms with minimal push-back, and they've become more insecure as they question the morality of their place in the world through more sophisticated lenses than the past necessitated. Sometimes those perspectives of themselves are not at all constructive.
The former adds to the intensity of the latter, because how can you possibly have belief in your values when you prioritise convenience over conviction and allow those values to be consistently whittled away?

this is not true at all. Democrats have reached across the aisle non stop since Obama was president.
I was not just referring to politicians, but to the people in general as well. There is a red vs blue gap that has been growing steadily.

The former adds to the intensity of the latter, because how can you possibly have belief in your values when you prioritise convenience over conviction and allow those values to be consistently whittled away?
this is the heart of the matter.
much to my surprise, americans are massive statists at the moment.
and they are willing to give up things that are essential to what the american spirit is, for nothing, for "owning the libs" or whatever the same is for liberals. very bizarre and disappointing.

Nothing. People are still giving up their civil liberties and villifying a portion of the population with no end game in off ramp in the name of "safety".

Today marks 20 years since 9/11. i, just like most other non-americans, watched the whole thing on tv and we were transfixed for days. even if i was a kid when it happened, i still remember the fact that it felt it was an important moment, that would impact the course of world politics in a massive way - without of course having the words to be able to articulate it at the time.

Looking back, since then America went through 4 presidents - Bush, Obama, Trump and now Biden. the way politics is being done has been immensely changed by the inclusion of the "online" element, and new themes, such as identity politics, have become major factors to consider by the candidates. The war in Afghanistan has just ended, on not the most positive note for America, and the US shows signs of decline, with new countries such as China emerging as an opponent while a more converging EU moves towards a more strategically autonomous route, one that might not be so adverse to Russia.

How do you feel America has meaningfully changed in these two decades?

What has been proven, 20 years on, is that (as some of us said at the time) the so-called "surveillance State" brought into being by the allegedly "unconstitutional" Patriot Act had absolutely zero impact on the lives of law abiding citizens.

"Nothing to hide, nothing to fear" has always been my motto where security and law enforcement are concerned. The next time a child is abducted walking home from school, then raped and murdered a couple days later, ask yourself if you wish there were cameras monitoring every street of every city in America.

this is the heart of the matter.
much to my surprise, americans are massive statists at the moment.
and they are willing to give up things that are essential to what the american spirit is, for nothing, for "owning the libs" or whatever the same is for liberals. very bizarre and disappointing.

Disappointing is right. It's sort of like watching hope prove itself wrong.
There is a great idea/promise at the core of America. The people just aren't carrying that torch right now.

Today marks 20 years since 9/11. i, just like most other non-americans, watched the whole thing on tv and we were transfixed for days. even if i was a kid when it happened, i still remember the fact that it felt it was an important moment, that would impact the course of world politics in a massive way - without of course having the words to be able to articulate it at the time.

Looking back, since then America went through 4 presidents - Bush, Obama, Trump and now Biden. the way politics is being done has been immensely changed by the inclusion of the "online" element, and new themes, such as identity politics, have become major factors to consider by the candidates. The war in Afghanistan has just ended, on not the most positive note for America, and the US shows signs of decline, with new countries such as China emerging as an opponent while a more converging EU moves towards a more strategically autonomous route, one that might not be so adverse to Russia.

How do you feel America has meaningfully changed in these two decades?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/09/01/magazine/fbi-terrorism-terry-albury.amp.html

You should read this amazing piece in the New York Times Magazine about an FBI whistle blower. The average American doesn’t realize yet, but 9/11 has led to the absolute shredding of the US constitution. When it’s all said and done, I truly believe that 9/11 might end up having been the downfall of America. Bin Laden won.

What has been proven, 20 years on, is that (as some of us said at the time) the so-called "surveillance State" brought into being by the allegedly "unconstitutional" Patriot Act had absolutely zero impact on the lives of law abiding citizens.

"Nothing to hide, nothing to fear" has always been my motto where security and law enforcement are concerned. The next time a child is abducted walking home from school, then raped and murdered a couple days later, ask yourself if you wish there were cameras monitoring every street of every city in America.

Does Brandon Mayfield not exist anymore or something? Did Doc Brown re-write history again?

Probably the most meaningful difference is that the Patriot act passed just in time for the rise of big data. The military industrial complex and the tech sector had a big orgy the end game of which is that privacy will probably never really exist again for the average American.

Their actions were so disgusting and shameful that even telling the American public about it made Snowden an enemy of the state living in exile.

The second thing would be that the American economy has reached a point that can best be summed up as the last 15 minutes of a game of Monopoly where somebody is sitting on all the loot and everyone else is just trying to figure out how to even stay in the game and Gen z is about three moves from flipping the fucking board.

Worst part for GenZ is we are now running Greece type GDP/DEBT ratios

Prepare for lifetime austerity. The Security Military Banskter complex got all the Keynesian stimulus already.

Things seem to cost a lot more since 911.

We are way more divided now

The rise of an entitled generation of adults that were never spanked as kids that think hurt feelings and mean words are the worlds biggest problem.

Positives:

Much better access to healthcare (thanks obama)
Corporations much better to their employees (thanks Millennials)
Much easier for artists, bloggers, etc. to get exposure via youtube and the like.

Negatives:
Loss of anonymity and individuality, lack of respect for the freedom of speech
Complete privatization of media--no more regulation due to the use of public airways
Social media

Women didn't openly dress like whores
Racial relations were pretty solid
Sports didnt involve politics
A single income was enough to get by for the average household

Okay Grandpa

Women didn't openly dress like whores
Racial relations were pretty solid
Sports didnt involve politics
A single income was enough to get by for the average household

Race relations are better now than they were 20 years ago. Strom Thurmond was still an elected senator back then.

Back