What if you stop liking jiu jitsu?

Age and injuries taking their toll here too after 14 years. I would rather go for a long bike ride. A very rigid class structure doesn’t help things. I do still enjoy beating up white belts, though.

FTFY.

You do know that no one is forcing you to train, right?

Never understood these posts. You don't wanna train, stop.
You didn't read the thread. I'm forcing me to train. I'm on the cusp of a new rank and want to see it through.

I'm in a similar predicament
Judo was off August and only started back last week. I have been drinking and eating like a pig and I am finding it extremely hard to motivate myself

I only train Judo 2-3 times per week and do an open matt no-gi session every Sunday at a local BJJ gym, but I am currently lazy as fuck

I do still go to to the gym to lift, but I don't have to socialize and go at my own pace

I think it is the alcohol, as when I don't drink I love training
Im sick. That's gotta be why I didn't wanna train. I don't wanna do shit now that it's fully settled into my body. Nose leaking everywhere, sore throat, fatigue. Now it makes sense.

Sitting here contemplating going to jits like
<1>
maybe I just don't love it anymore. Last week was my second week back after a month off and I already don't wanna go. Ever get in a rut like this? What fixed it?
Serious response:

If you do not like it any more stop. I mean why do something you do not like. I do not like coffee so I do not drink it.

But why do you not like it? Is it jiu jitsu or something else?

I have met people who quit for other reasons and not because of jiu jitsu. So find your why

Funny response:

Just go get someone in a armbar and say rickson by armbar then you will love it again

Serious response:

If you do not like it any more stop. I mean why do something you do not like. I do not like coffee so I do not drink it.

But why do you not like it? Is it jiu jitsu or something else?

I have met people who quit for other reasons and not because of jiu jitsu. So find your why

Funny response:

Just go get someone in a armbar and say rickson by armbar then you will love it again
Well I've got a home gym bursting with equipment and a dog who never turns down a walk so there's no need to go to jits just for the exercise. Also the drive sucks, 24 minutes each way, so if I go I have to commit 3 hours of my day to it roughly. I don't keep up with new tech so I don't have anything I'm working on and no competitions on the horizon so I'm in training limbo.

I think that's just part of the journey for most of us that aren't full time grapplers.. the daily grind with work, family responsibilities, being present for your kids and still trying to make time for yourself to train. It's a huge commitment year after year after year. You just gotta remember why you started training and if you don't like it man it's ok to do something else

maybe try something different like tai chi? i have done tai chi for twenty years. i dont do push hands, only do the form and i DO NOT care how accurate im doing it for the fighting aspect (not that i think its that effective anyway).

but what is great about it is that you enter a meditative state while moving your body in slow motion and with yang style or something similar you are putting your body through its full range of possibilities so it keeps you really mobile.

but it doesn't get boring because the part of your brain that can get bored sort of numbs out while you are meditating so its really really neat.

and sometimes the feeling that comes over you while doing it is blissful.

aside from actually being able to defend yourself my opinion of traditional martial arts, especially the chinese arts goes up every year. long term health is the goal and nearly nothing does as much for your body in as short a period of time as kung fu and tai chi.

i do a combo if tai chi and xing yi and its great.

Tai chi is sooo much more fun than yoga

You can tell its all jiujitsu guys answering. Ask a wrestler mid season if theyre having fun and enjoying their training. Wrestling practice can be a daily dread and yet you still drag your ass in there, some days you surprise yourself.

Well I've got a home gym bursting with equipment and a dog who never turns down a walk so there's no need to go to jits just for the exercise. Also the drive sucks, 24 minutes each way, so if I go I have to commit 3 hours of my day to it roughly. I don't keep up with new tech so I don't have anything I'm working on and no competitions on the horizon so I'm in training limbo.
So it sounds like you do not enjoy jiu jitsu.

I mean i love surfing but it is a 3 hour drive everytime I go surf. Still love to do it.

If you are doing it for exercise and have not caught the bug then I would say stop. It sounds like it is more an annoyance then enjoyment

I've lost the passion in so far that I don't give a shit to learn about the nth inverted lapel guard.

However, it remains an extremely fun and low impact way to stay active, and I hope to continue doing it forever. I also love passing on my knowledge to youngsters.
Low impact? Do you purposely roll light in a gi?

Sitting here contemplating going to jits like
<1>
maybe I just don't love it anymore. Last week was my second week back after a month off and I already don't wanna go. Ever get in a rut like this? What fixed it?
Start going to practice high it’ll change your whole perspective for a while

So it sounds like you do not enjoy jiu jitsu.

I mean i love surfing but it is a 3 hour drive everytime I go surf. Still love to do it.

If you are doing it for exercise and have not caught the bug then I would say stop. It sounds like it is more an annoyance then enjoyment
Yes but are you making that drive 3 days a week?

You can tell its all jiujitsu guys answering. Ask a wrestler mid season if theyre having fun and enjoying their training. Wrestling practice can be a daily dread and yet you still drag your ass in there, some days you surprise yourself.
This happens too. I'll be in there like fuck I don't wanna roll and then demolish everyone. I think on this day I was getting sick as a day or two later I had full blown cold symptoms. Shoulda just listened to my body and not went. Prolly got some training partners sick and that's a dick move.

This happens too. I'll be in there like fuck I don't wanna roll and then demolish everyone. I think on this day I was getting sick as a day or two later I had full blown cold symptoms. Shoulda just listened to my body and not went. Prolly got some training partners sick and that's a dick move.
Yeah but you didn't know its not like you did that on purpose. As for dreading practice i think its fine. Ive beem stepping on the mats since i was a boy and im in my 30s now. I have experienced all kinds of bouts of laziness or dread. Dread is fine in my opinion as long as its before or during practice. The shit is hard its a natural feeling. But you just have to be grateful and happy you did it after or its not worth it. Anyways thats my opinion, feel better man.

Low impact? Do you purposely roll light in a gi?

It's "low impact" if you're 200+ lbs rolling with smaller guys. If you're a 150 lbs dude rolling with 230 pounders trying to crush you, it's anything but. Your training partners' relative size, skill and attitude makes a huge difference. Almost always, when I see older guys in their 40's and 50's doing this long-term, they're bigger guys unless they coach for a living.

Last edited:
Yes but are you making that drive 3 days a week?
no but why can you not do just 1 day a week?

Question is, how much is jiu jitsu worth to you?

And it seems a 3 times a week, 3 hours drive is too much if it is then you my advice is stop

I get like that too, then take some time off and start to miss it. I got really burnt out going five days a week, I switched to 2, 3 on occasion and started to love it again . It gave me time to think about what I want to learn, watch videos or analyze rolls from the prior class. I also wasn’t beat up and had time to do other things.

It's way too multi-faceted and many-layered to ever bore me. Even the things that are my main familiar tools, if I deep study any of them, it's like peeling an onion. Maybe if I had a dozen lifetimes, then maybe, I might begin to sniff a whiff of getting bored. As it is, there is just way too much to know, much less master.

Peaks & valleys are totally normal though, we are moody emotional creatures. And the path to mastery is never a straight line.

I do think it's it's important to keep showing up, even when unmotivated, or feeling like crap (I mean mentally, obviously stay home if you're sick). Just don't take your negative mood out on others. But the act of showing up when you don't want to, even if you get your butt kicked or have crappy rolls, builds character & grit. Which is helpful for your life in the long run, on & off the mats.

Back