What is an A-level athlete?

TimeToTrain

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What is the standard or criteria that makes someone an A-level athlete?

I hear of athletes like NBA, NFL, Soccer and Olympic wrestlers to be A-level athletes but not really competitors of Tour De France, Ironman Triathlons, etc. Heck, not even the top MMA fighters are mentioned as A-level.

What is the standard or criteria that makes someone an A-level athlete?

I hear of athletes like NBA, NFL, Soccer and Olympic wrestlers to be A-level athletes but not really competitors of Tour De France, Ironman Triathlons, etc. Heck, not even the top MMA fighters are mentioned as A-level.

The term is used loosely on this forum but it's based in the concept that placing at higher level tournaments grants you higher level rating, with A+ being the highest level.

Ex. in Judo, placing in the top 3 at a tournament grants you that tournament level rating. A+ level tournaments include the Olympics, the World Championships and a handful of other tourneys. So an Olympic or world medalist is literally an A+ level Judo player.

Of note, the U.S. Senior Nationals is only designated a C-level tournament. That's how much the U.S. sucks at Judo.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Judo/SrPages/Senior-Classification-and-Point-System

There is no set standard. Everyone creates their own definition. Generally speaking, it correlates to having some combination of elite speed, power, agility, coordination, reaction time, endurance, etc. AND being really good at a sport. Bonus points if you make a lot of money in said sport.

Show me the chart that shows the exercises that test A level athletes and which results place you in which letter grade. Are there weight classes? Is Usain Bolt ahead of LeBron James because he's faster? What about vertical? Strength standards? There aren't any.

Show me the chart that shows the exercises that test A level athletes and which results place you in which letter grade. Are there weight classes? Is Usain Bolt ahead of LeBron James because he's faster? What about vertical? Strength standards? There aren't any.
You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Prove me wrong or shut the fuck up.

Nice logical fallacy lol.

You made a claim so the onus of truth is upon you. You can't shift that responsibility to the audience to do your homework for you. You're arguing from a place of ignorance. So prove yourself right and convince us or shut the fuck up.

https://www.ufc.com/news/are-you-fit-flyweight

This is a list of sorts, I think this might be embellished slightly, not the PB's of the guys Jamieson trained but the list of standard's that he uses, I think there might be guys in the UFC who would score in the 'amateur' category on the tests he lists.

I read Dr Michael Yessis book "How to Build a better athelete". He says 3 miles in 18 minutes is elite endurance for an athlete in a non endurance sport with an endurance component such as soccer or basketball. That would be a minimum standard by Jamieson's criteria. It really depends on the sport though because I'd expect soccer players in general to have a faster 3 mile time than a basketball player but be weaker in the vertical and sprint.

Aside from that it's hard not to call an Olympic 100 meter champion or an Olympic Marathon champion an A level athlete even though their endurance and power respectively suck.

Nice logical fallacy lol.

You made a claim so the onus of truth is upon you. You can't shift that responsibility to the audience to do your homework for you. You're arguing from a place of ignorance. So prove yourself right and convince us or shut the fuck up.

Hold on while he figures out what “onus” means.

https://www.ufc.com/news/are-you-fit-flyweight

This is a list of sorts, I think this might be embellished slightly, not the PB's of the guys Jamieson trained but the list of standard's that he uses, I think there might be guys in the UFC who would score in the 'amateur' category on the tests he lists.

I read Dr Michael Yessis book "How to Build a better athelete". He says 3 miles in 18 minutes is elite endurance for an athlete in a non endurance sport with an endurance component such as soccer or basketball. That would be a minimum standard by Jamieson's criteria. It really depends on the sport though because I'd expect soccer players in general to have a faster 3 mile time than a basketball player but be weaker in the vertical and sprint.

Aside from that it's hard not to call an Olympic 100 meter champion or an Olympic Marathon champion an A level athlete even though their endurance and power respectively suck.
Amateur across the board!

I doubt basketball players sprint faster than soccer players if you factor in the guys 6'9+.

This thread is pretty silly. It's all opinion. Even if you can quantify with tests, there are an infinite number of potential tests, there are somethings you probably can't test (mental aspect), and the value you give to each physical trait is also opinion (ie. what's more important, hand-eye coordination or endurance?). I would think if you're elite in any aspect you should be considered a top athlete.

Well there are a few certainties like Bolt for example. He's the fastest human to ever live so he's obviously one.

I tend to consider a lot of NFL players A-level athletes due to their pretty impressive combo of speed, strength, agility, coordination, reaction time and vertical. People can shit on OL for being overweight but take a guy like Larry Allen who weighed 330lbs, benched 700lbs and ran a 4.85 40.

So does A level athlete. Its more a matter of opinion than anything. There are no quantifiable tests.

A-level athlete is just a broad term but 0.1% is wildly selective.

If you were a top 1% athlete as a male, and assuming your build was average size+ you could probably do well in any sport at a high level assuming all the other variables fall into place.

What is top 1%. idk tough to say but let's just pretend someone who can run a 4.55-4.61 forty yard dash at 5'10 180 is the baseline entry level for 1%. Well top 0.1% is then the Tyreek Hill's and John Ross' of the world. Andy Isabellas. So the first part wasn't accurate but the point is I think the arbitrary term extends to more than just the literal fastest freaks of the pro NFL athlete freaks, who were the freaks of college, who were the freaks of HS...generally.

I think most people would consider someone who played D1 college ball, actually played or started especially, to be a great athlete or "A level" (minus exceptions like kicker/punter/some QBs). Extends to basketball as well.

What is top 1%. idk tough to say but let's just pretend someone who can run a 4.55-4.61 forty yard dash at 5'10 180 is the baseline entry level for 1%.

No chance 1 in 100 males can run a sub 4.6 forty.
Not even close.

Back