What is an A-level athlete?

There is a lot of guys with "a-level genetics" that don't do anything with it. I bet the majority don't.

Then you have to consider not everyone is running track, better athletes might only play basketball/football, even baseball. And that these are HS kids who are only going to get faster in college once they start using steroids lmao
Baseball requires the least amount of athleticism which is why you see so many sub par athletes involved in the sport. A few of the top athletes in the nba and nfl were able to successfully transition into mlb because it's a lower tier sport.

TBH I absolutely positively hate the A level athlete myth as well each sport is pretty specialized. Yes strength, speed, conditioning help but there are tons more factors like mental fortitude etc.

Take this guy for example. Is he an A-level athlete? I’d be willing to bet there’s a lot of people stronger and faster than him yet he is undoubtedly one of the elite athletes of our time.

Tom-Brady.jpg

Saying someone is an A-level athlete has always seemed like they were saying they had a man-crush on them. Like ESPN and their adoration of ball sports.

I think anyone who can be competitive at a world championship level or at the highest national level (for sports that don't have world competition like the NFL) in a sport/position that relies heavily on one or more of the basic athletic attributes (power, strength, speed, endurance, jumping/running ability) could be considered an "A-level" athlete.

Some sports rely less on pure athleticism and more on strategy or technique, so a world class sprinter, weightlifter or runner is almost certainly A-level by this definition, but a top BJJ or soccer guy not necessarily. For sports where pure athleticism doesn't play a primary role, excelling in the athletic attributes mentioned at the world/national stage within your sport compared to your peers might make you be perceived as A-level as well.

I think being exceptionally gifted at sprinting, jumping and explosive movements is what a lot of people typically mean by A-level, because these are perceived as being harder to improve than things like pure strength or endurance, and they have a lot of transference to many popular sports.

Last edited:
TBH I absolutely positively hate the A level athlete myth as well each sport is pretty specialized. Yes strength, speed, conditioning help but there are tons more factors like mental fortitude etc.

Take this guy for example. Is he an A-level athlete? I’d be willing to bet there’s a lot of people stronger and faster than him yet he is undoubtedly one of the elite athletes of our time.

Tom-Brady.jpg

Saying someone is an A-level athlete has always seemed like they were saying they had a man-crush on them. Like ESPN and their adoration of ball sports.
He’s got three outta the three A-Level athlete things: Model wife who sucks his D, multiple championship and physical longevity.

Definition of an A-Level Athlete

Holy shit that's supernatural level athleticism right there, look at how it absorbed the force with its bounding. Any human would have gotten crushed.

Last edited:
Baseball requires the least amount of athleticism which is why you see so many sub par athletes involved in the sport. A few of the top athletes in the nba and nfl were able to successfully transition into mlb because it's a lower tier sport.

I would say powerlifting probably has the least amount of athleticism involved being that no powerlifter has really been known to be good at the big three.

Name one athlete that transitioned from the NBA or NFL to the MLB. Ill wait.....

I would say powerlifting probably has the least amount of athleticism involved being that no powerlifter has really been known to be good at the big three.

Name one athlete that transitioned from the NBA or NFL to the MLB. Ill wait.....

Wait no more. Plenty of guys have played in both leagues at separate times or even concurrently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...gue_Baseball_and_the_National_Football_League

Most famously are probably Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders.

And if order of events really matters that much to you then Brian Jordan, Matt Kinzer(a fucking punter of all things lol), and Drew Henson transitioned fully to baseball after their football careers. As far as NBA players who played in MLB are concerned the list consists of Danny Ainge, Frank Baumholtz, Gene Conley, Chuck Connors, Dave DeBusschere, Johnny Gee, Dick Groat, Steve Hamilton, Mark Hendrickson, Cotton Nash, Ron Reed, Dick Ricketts, and Howie Schultz. I don't really feel like digging into the dates all that much.

Bo jackson and Deion Sanders played baseball from an early age and were the only notable players that concurrently played another sport. Russell Wilson was another prospect that probably could have played professional baseball but there is no way in todays world you can play two professional sports(of the big 3) concurrently it simply would never happen today. Just ask Tim Tebow.

Most top tier athletes all time played multiple sports in their youth. From Babe Zaharius(Actually played again men in pro baseball) to Deion to Bo and etc.

To say baseball players is chock full of shit athletes is a misrepresentation of the sport.

In terms of explosiveness there are players in every league who are bad at that but that doesn't mean they are bad athletes.

Hook, line, and sinker.

How does it make you feel Drew to know that powerlifters are terrible athletes?

I question how fun it actually is to pay them the fees and then travel to attempt 9 lifts over several hours. I do agree its a fun hobby though. I signed up for a meet last year but the hurricane cancelled that.

as ive said before it doesn't matter how much I tell you ive lifted because you won't believe it until I actually put up a total in a sanctioned meet anyways then you can't argue with it.

May never happen because right now all my eggs are in one basket playing baseball.

I question how fun it actually is to pay them the fees and then travel to attempt 9 lifts over several hours. I do agree its a fun hobby though. I signed up for a meet last year but the hurricane cancelled that.

as ive said before it doesn't matter how much I tell you ive lifted because i lied about my lifts in the past you won't believe it until I actually put up a total in a sanctioned meet anyways then you can't argue with it.

May never happen because right now all my eggs are in one basket playing baseball.

I saw you were still on the roster for the rescheduled meet, but was disappointed when you were absent after they posted the results, did you get a refund?

How did the tryouts go?

I saw you were still on the roster for the rescheduled meet, but was disappointed when you were absent after they posted the results, did you get a refund?

How did the tryouts go?

How did the tryouts go?

Tryouts went great. How is your sub par lifting going?

Tryouts didn't happen. How is your lifting going?

I bet they did!

We hit all of our 2020 goals in March, on track for a podium spot at nationals next year, aches and pains are being addressed. I would say pretty good

Saw some of those snatches and cleans, yikes!

Yea those technically unsound power snatches and cleans made my bat have ridiculous pop an first step speed.

I mean yikes man! Scary pop

ASU would you like to see what a minor league contract looks like? You know the kind you sign when somebody pays you to play a sport like you will never see?

Back