What is an A-level athlete?

ASU would you like to see what a minor league contract looks like? You know the kind you sign when somebody pays you to play a sport like you will never see?

You might be hitting .200 in the cages, but you're batting .000 on this forum right now. You failed to hit that 600lb deadlift, dropped out of the East Texas Open, and lied about your total from the unsanctioned virtual mock meet, 0-3.

I hope that one day I get to sign on to sherdog and click on the post where you to proudly display your contract, like you did with your personal trainer certificate. I am sure the WL training will give you the edge you need to make it.

thats an interesting perspective you have there I’ll give you that

ITs a free world so believe what you will

Because I’m not an idiot

I publicly post most things I do in life on Facebook and I know these guys go on there to look for material they can come up with to type cheap one liners much like yourself

Do you really think if I made a minor league roster that I’m going to hide it under a table?

Baseball requires the least amount of athleticism which is why you see so many sub par athletes involved in the sport. A few of the top athletes in the nba and nfl were able to successfully transition into mlb because it's a lower tier sport.

Yeah I think it's much more nuanced than that, but okay generally baseball has "worse" athletes than the NFL/NBA totally agree.

The problem is not addressing specific positions, like someone posting Tom Brady prior to this post. Sure, he's like aesthetically the prime example of a super successful football player who's not an elite athlete. But at the same time, it's not like Brady is just some shitbag slob. He's a 6'4.5 brick shithouse with a huge frame who is genetically inclined to throw things very fucking well (drafted in MLB too).

I think we have to curate for pocket QBs, Pitchers generally, Kickers/Punters, 6'10+ awkward big men who are unathletic, etc. Those are the exceptions to the athlete pools here. They just muddy the data too much.

Ultimately I think the answer to this thread's title is pretty straight forward. I don't think exceptions to the general answer such as: Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Zach Grienke, Justin Verlander-Trevor Bauer, Justin Tucker, Nikola Jokic, David Ortiz, etc

As a pro baseball endorser , shits way more mental than physical. You need physical but stupid people can't comprehend everything happening each pitch. It does help to be a giant brute lol

Well those numbers look like ass compared to the one google I did for a Colorado county (or state?), I believe 10-11 kids ran 11.3 or under out of the 16.

And again, yes 1 kid...who specifically runs 100m track and field at HS levels broke the time. I also think it's a bit unfair to only look at HS kids when the bar is a 40 yard dash, obviously your athletic prime isn't at age 14-18 for that specific feat. I understand I chose the feat and the example.

To me it's more like this, another analogy/example but a different bar set -

How many people right now out of 100 males on the street can deadlift 315 pounds? Deadlift 350-400+lbs? Bench 225?

The point is for the former, it doesn't require superb athleticism to deadlift 315 or 405 even. It probably requires some genetics for 405 and a bit more genetics to bench 225, but a lot of people could achieve that. Out of the 100 random slobs you pull off the street though? I'd guess maybe 5-10 could bench two plates, maybe 10-25 at very most could deadlift 315.

So while running in a straight line for max acceleration and speed in a 40 yard dash or a 100m sprint is much more genetically athletic based, it still requires training to get there. So the pool of a random 100 people can't necessarily be considered slobs off the street, when I initially said it I was referring to raw genetic potential. Therefore logically, not every kid is going to run 100m track, not every athletically gifted kid is even going to play football/basketball/sports necessarily.

Writing more than needed, but here's the TLDR:

imo we can't possibly be counting untrained people and workforce, older people. We have to be counting purely genetic potential. Also yes as you said, which was kind of my initial point, not everyone is sprinting and training to run a sprint fast. My entire point was based on genetics. So I stand by saying roughly 1% of males can run ~4.6 speed, and my point was the 0.1% are the fucking freaks like 4.25-4.40 speed. Obviously the percentages aren't accurate just spitballed.

Strength is highly trainable. Endurance, flexibility but particularly power and speed less so. Benching 225 doesn't require genetics, 95 out of 100 men (if not higher) can attain that with training. Maybe competition style would be more difficult but my wrists and ankles are in the bottom 10 percentile for size and that's after resistance training for nearly two decades. My fast twitch fibre ratio is also poor, while being one of the leaner students in my high school I would only perform slightly better than average in the 100 metre (and our entire year would run it in our school athletics carnivals). Yet I can still touch and go bench 275 naturally.

Judging from my low weight (155-160 pounds), lack of explosiveness (average speed in the 100 despite being leaner than most as well as poor jumping ability) small frame (wrists and ankles smaller than 90 percent of males even though I'm average height), small hands (sculling oar handles in rowing come in three sizes, blue handles for men, yellow for women and pink for schoolgirls, mine were so small even the schoolgirl pink oars were too thick to be optimal, and boy schools only have the blue oars anyway), I suspect at least 9 out of every 10 males can bench 275 pounds touch and go with enough training.

Strength is highly trainable. Endurance, flexibility but particularly power and speed less so. Benching 225 doesn't require genetics, 95 out of 100 men (if not higher) can attain that with training. Maybe competition style would be more difficult but my wrists and ankles are in the bottom 10 percentile for size and that's after resistance training for nearly two decades. My fast twitch fibre ratio is also poor, while being one of the leaner students in my high school I would only perform slightly better than average in the 100 metre (and our entire year would run it in our school athletics carnivals). Yet I can still touch and go bench 275 naturally.

Judging from my low weight (155-160 pounds), lack of explosiveness (average speed in the 100 despite being leaner than most as well as poor jumping ability) small frame (wrists and ankles smaller than 90 percent of males even though I'm average height), small hands (sculling oar handles in rowing come in three sizes, blue handles for men, yellow for women and pink for schoolgirls, mine were so small even the schoolgirl pink oars were too thick to be optimal, and boy schools only have the blue oars anyway), I suspect at least 9 out of every 10 males can bench 275 pounds touch and go with enough training.

I agree that strength is much more easily improved than speed, clearly. I think you're understating the ability to improve endurance and perhaps flexibility. But one we get to the premise of 95% of people being able to bench 225+ lbs and 90% benching 275lbs in the gym, well then I have to completely disagree. Already basically went over this in a Wilt Chamberlain thread ironically, and this is an old thread...but here is my response:

1. Right off the bat I think you're approaching this from the viewpoint of "I have the worst genetics in the world!" when in reality you are probably close to average and perhaps above average specifically to press. You cite wrist/hand/ankle size but then you're also saying you bench 275 or more. So which is it? Maybe you also have short arms/levers and are built for benching pretty well.

You are benching 275+ at 155-160lbs you say. That is a 1.72x to 1.77x BW bench press. That's definitely not going to be achieved by 90-95% of people, even if they trained semi-seriously for years. If that were the case, and let's split the difference - 1.75x the average US male weight of 190 or 200 lbs = 332 or 350 lbs bench press.

You are framing and implying and directly stating your genetics suck ass. Yet if everyone were simply on your level genetically and benched press (and I think tons of people DO bench press vs something like deadlift or even squat) then everyone would pretty clearly be benching 3 plates, very close to it, or above it. Which leads me into point two...

2. Okay, then why don't I or anyone here walk into a commercial gym in our lifetimes and see TONS of 315lb+ benchers just fucking filling the place up. Why isn't literally everyone sans fresh noobs and women benching 225+?

In reality we do not observe this. Nor do we observe anywhere close to 90%, or even 50% of gym goers being able to bench 275lbs. Or even 250lbs. We definitely don't see anywhere close to 90-95% of dudes benching 2 plates either, what are the odds of that? Maybe like 25-40% can at a given gym? And we're talking of the guys who do bench, because Jimmy Treadmill ain't benching 2-3 plates.

I think you're dramatically overrating what the average male can achieve. And looking back on this old ass post, my point was that you can't compare numbers for speed by using random bums off the street who don't train. I didn't do that here, if I did then I could just use all men who don't train bench. And yes you can improve strength lifts far more than sprint speed or jump...we agree on that

average people probably look at the top powerlifting/strength lifting numbers and think to themselves o shit I can never do that so why should I even try so hard so they just give up and never realize their own potential even though their own potential is probably greater than what they think it is.

A lot of athleticism is going to be built during your formative years in your youth and after that it is going to be really hard to build it in a global sense if not nearly impossible. That is why its important for kids to play sports.

average people probably look at the top powerlifting/strength lifting numbers and think to themselves o shit I can never do that so why should I even try so hard so they just give up and never realize their own potential even though their own potential is probably greater than what they think it is.
Wise words. Some people also just exaggerate their powerlifting numbers and make shit up for whatever reason.

As a pro baseball endorser , shits way more mental than physical. You need physical but stupid people can't comprehend everything happening each pitch. It does help to be a giant brute lol

Yeah but on baseball it really depends.

There's a lot of stud athlete CF/OF, SS/2B out there. On one hand you have Mike Trout and Byron Buxton, on the other you got Ryan Yarbrough and Pablo Sandoval.

But definitely...no one is making it at CB in the NFL without being a generally good athlete to fucking freak athlete. That's every corner. If you went by pitchers in the MLB, well yeah lol

drew and ASU do you believe me that I high bar squat 355x5,5,6 tonight then power snatched 150x3,3,3,3,5? Is that too much weight to be believable? I mean even video I posted here of a 515x4 deadlift didn't count in here. it never happened.

I agree that strength is much more easily improved than speed, clearly. I think you're understating the ability to improve endurance and perhaps flexibility. But one we get to the premise of 95% of people being able to bench 225+ lbs and 90% benching 275lbs in the gym, well then I have to completely disagree. Already basically went over this in a Wilt Chamberlain thread ironically, and this is an old thread...but here is my response:

1. Right off the bat I think you're approaching this from the viewpoint of "I have the worst genetics in the world!" when in reality you are probably close to average and perhaps above average specifically to press. You cite wrist/hand/ankle size but then you're also saying you bench 275 or more. So which is it? Maybe you also have short arms/levers and are built for benching pretty well.

You are benching 275+ at 155-160lbs you say. That is a 1.72x to 1.77x BW bench press. That's definitely not going to be achieved by 90-95% of people, even if they trained semi-seriously for years. If that were the case, and let's split the difference - 1.75x the average US male weight of 190 or 200 lbs = 332 or 350 lbs bench press.

You are framing and implying and directly stating your genetics suck ass. Yet if everyone were simply on your level genetically and benched press (and I think tons of people DO bench press vs something like deadlift or even squat) then everyone would pretty clearly be benching 3 plates, very close to it, or above it. Which leads me into point two...

2. Okay, then why don't I or anyone here walk into a commercial gym in our lifetimes and see TONS of 315lb+ benchers just fucking filling the place up. Why isn't literally everyone sans fresh noobs and women benching 225+?

In reality we do not observe this. Nor do we observe anywhere close to 90%, or even 50% of gym goers being able to bench 275lbs. Or even 250lbs. We definitely don't see anywhere close to 90-95% of dudes benching 2 plates either, what are the odds of that? Maybe like 25-40% can at a given gym? And we're talking of the guys who do bench, because Jimmy Treadmill ain't benching 2-3 plates.

I think you're dramatically overrating what the average male can achieve. And looking back on this old ass post, my point was that you can't compare numbers for speed by using random bums off the street who don't train. I didn't do that here, if I did then I could just use all men who don't train bench. And yes you can improve strength lifts far more than sprint speed or jump...we agree on that

The difference between me and all those people not benching 275 is time spent under the bar. I love lifting and I love bench pressing. I've lifted weights since 7th grade, back in 2003, bench pressing at least once a week (and pressing twice a week with at least a vertical push day and a horizontal push day) since then, other than when I took a year off after I had a shoulder reconstruction at 20 due to tearing my shoulder playing rugby in senior year.

After nearly two decades of bench pressing at 30 years old you'd hope I could bench press 275, and while I agree my slender frame enables me a solid pound for pound bench the average male (who is my height at 5'10) should be able to match such a weight (perhaps at a heavier body weight due to a larger frame) with equal amount of training. Yet how many guys have weekly benched since 03?

The average American male might be 190 but that's mainly fat, leaned down they too will be closer to 155-160, so calculating a 1.7 times press from their untrained fat weight won't be an accurate metric.

My reach is like my height, average. 70 inches tall, 70 inches reach. I didn't even take supps to hit 275, it just took a lot of time. (Got to 225 in high school, 245 early 20s, 265 mid 20s bulked at 183 pounds, back down to 255 but at a leaner 170 pounds late 20s and finally teh 275 at a ripped 155-160 at 30). Now on creo I hope to bump it up to 285 and eventually, with perfect diet, supps and training, hit 300 pounds one day before my natural test levels, or wear and tear from decades of lifting, finally starts to bring me down.

Last edited:
Sure, that's as believable as someone telling me they have a 68mph fastball. The only problem with those numbers being believable is you're a confirmed liar on this forum.

I am going to assume there were many flaws in your deadlift. I am going to guess that there were lockout issues, maybe some ramping, straps, probably some yelling. As long as you're happy with all of these impressive accomplishments no sweat from this forum should bother you.

Sissy?!?!?!?! I'm done being nice. I hope it rains and you get chased by a dog while on your route today!

Jim don’t tell me what I need and don’t need.

Word of advice get off the steroids.

Last edited:
Back