• Kill 'Em All (1983)

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Ride the Lightning (1984)

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Master of Puppets (1986)

Votes: 40 33.9%
  • ...And Justice for All (1988)

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Metallica (aka, "the black album) (1991)

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Load (1996)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Reload (1997)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St. Anger (2003)

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Death Magnetic (2008)

• Hardwired... to Self-Destruct (2016)

• Total voters

Philo-Publius

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Metallica_-_Kill_%27Em_All_cover.jpg

Ridetl.png

Metallica_-_Master_of_Puppets_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_...And_Justice_for_All_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_Metallica_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_Load_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_Reload_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_St._Anger_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_Death_Magnetic_cover.jpg

Hardwired..._To_Self-Destruct_Album_Cover.jpeg

If they hadn't been bullying cunts, and turned up the bass a little, I would've went with Justice.

Metallica kind of sucks but their first 4 albums are clearly the best

Between Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. I think I'd go with Lightning because the songs tend to stand out more to me, though I think Puppets may be more complex. It really could go either way though.

Either Kill ‘em All or Puppets depending on my mood.

Metallica is my favorite band and I have seen them live more times than anyone else and even had the chance to meet them in 2009. My favorite album is Kill 'Em All but that doesn't mean it is their best because that goes to Master of Puppets which took what the band did with Ride The Lightning and perfected it.

Here is James Hetfield and myself. What amazing individuals the dudes are in the band. The best part of the whole thing is getting to spend a good 20 minutes with Kirk Hammett just talking about our mutual love of horror movies.
12923218_10153795228737639_1782304277714527836_n.jpg

Ride for me; it struck a balance among raw power, poise, and polish that I don't reckon ever made a return. There's really no Metallica LP that hasn't any redeeming tracks but there are misses, sure. St. Anger's final form sounded pretty wonky, iirc.

Seeing their album covers tiled in succession in OP has me thinking how uninspired they've been on that front all these years. Master does the job (best of lot, IMO) but the rest are par for the course, at best. Just my take, of course.

tough to split the 2 i like the most, but i'll go with ride the lightning.

LOL, that was awesome.

Call me weird, but I appreciate every era of Metallica and consider Death Magnetic and Hardwired to have a few of the best songs they've ever released, and some of Kirk's best Solos.

Death Magnetic - Cyanide

Hardwired - Halo on Fire

And yes, I'm posting the live versions of the songs rather than the studio versions. Metallica is one of the FEW bands who's songs are better live than in the studio releases.

Like most Metallica fans, I absolutely hated 'I Disappear,' but good god, they absolutely rocked it live. What other band can take a shitty song and make it awesome?

St. Anger because:
Fuck it all and fuckin' regrets
I hit the lights on these dark sets
I need a voice to let myself
To let myself go free

So great, such wow, needs more Lars snare

St. Anger because:
Fuck it all and fuckin' regrets
I hit the lights on these dark sets
I need a voice to let myself
To let myself go free

So great, such wow, needs more Lars snare
Just want to let you know regarding the recording process of St. Anger James, Kirk and Lars all had input into the writing process lyrically which is why some of the lyrics are cheesy as fuck. James himself knows how to write lyrically just look at Load and Reload the lyrical content on those two albums is some of the best James has ever written.

As per the snare someone should have stopped Lars from deciding to make it sound like a garbage can

Back