• Kill 'Em All (1983)

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Ride the Lightning (1984)

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Master of Puppets (1986)

Votes: 40 33.9%
  • ...And Justice for All (1988)

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Metallica (aka, "the black album) (1991)

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Load (1996)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Reload (1997)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St. Anger (2003)

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Death Magnetic (2008)

• Hardwired... to Self-Destruct (2016)

• Total voters
LOL, that was awesome.

Call me weird, but I appreciate every era of Metallica and consider Death Magnetic and Hardwired to have a few of the best songs they've ever released, and some of Kirk's best Solos.

Death Magnetic - Cyanide

Hardwired - Halo on Fire

And yes, I'm posting the live versions of the songs rather than the studio versions. Metallica is one of the FEW bands who's songs are better live than in the studio releases.

Like most Metallica fans, I absolutely hated 'I Disappear,' but good god, they absolutely rocked it live. What other band can take a shitty song and make it awesome?

Memory Remains is probably my most hated Metallica song. Much worse than "I Disappear."

Memory Remains is probably my most hated Metallica song. Much worse than "I Disappear."

First time I've heard that opinion.

Hell, Memory Remains still is my all-time favorite music video.

If your main issue is Maryanne Faithful's vocals, yeah, I'm not a fan of that aspect of the song. But I rarely listen to Metallica's studio versions of their songs anymore. When they perform it live and the audience sings along, its magical.

First time I've heard that opinion.

Hell, Memory Remains still is my all-time favorite music video.

If your main issue is Maryanne Faithful's vocals, yeah, I'm not a fan of that aspect of the song. But I rarely listen to Metallica's studio versions of their songs anymore. When they perform it live and the audience sings along, its magical.

Yeah, that song just doesn't do it for me.

My overall ranking of albums...

10. St. Anger
9. Re-Load
8. Load
7. Kill 'Em All
6. Hardwired to Self-Destruct
5. Death Magnetic
4. ...And Justice for All
3. Master of Puppets
2. Ride the Lightening
1. Metallica (aka, "the black album")

Last edited:
Yeah, that song just doesn't do it for me.

My overall ranking of albums...

10. St. Anger
9. Kill 'Em All
8. Hardwired to Self-Destruct
7. Re-Load
6. Load
5. Death Magnetic
4. ...And Justice for All
3. Master of Puppets
2. Ride the Lightening
1. Metallica (aka, "the black album")

My list...

10. Kill 'Em All - Horrible sound quality and vocals.
9. St. Anger - Few decent songs
8. Load - Gets more shit than it deserves. King Nothing > Enter Sandman.
7. Black Album - Overrated, but
6. Hardwired - Best album I've heard in a decade.
5. Re-Load - Many awesome songs. Unforgiven 2 is the best Unforgiven song.
4. Death Magnetic - Best Metallica album since Justice.
3. Master of Puppets
2. Ride the Lightening
1. ...And Justice for All

Top 3 need no explanation.

Just want to let you know regarding the recording process of St. Anger James, Kirk and Lars all had input into the writing process lyrically which is why some of the lyrics are cheesy as fuck. James himself knows how to write lyrically just look at Load and Reload the lyrical content on those two albums is some of the best James has ever written.

According to Jason Newsted, he and Kirk had input starting with the Load and Reload albums, which is why they were drastically different. Prior to that, Kirk and James were allowed to make no contributions to the music writing. They just played exactly what they were told to play.

Last edited:
1. Master of Puppets
2. Ride the Lightning
3. ...And Justice
4. Black Album
5. Death Magnetic
6 Load
7. Kill Em All
8. Hardwired
9. St. Anger (DVD)
10. Re-Load

My list...

10. Kill 'Em All - Horrible sound quality and vocals.
9. St. Anger - Few decent songs
8. Load - Gets more shit than it deserves. King Nothing > Enter Sandman.
7. Black Album - Overrated, but
6. Hardwired - Best album I've heard in a decade.
5. Re-Load - Many awesome songs. Unforgiven 2 is the best Unforgiven song.
4. Death Magnetic - Best Metallica album since Justice.
3. Master of Puppets
2. Ride the Lightening
1. ...And Justice for All

Top 3 need no explanation.
<mma4> closer to my rankings than the one above your post, I couldn't take anyone serious who has the ''black album'' as #1, its a bag of wank

<mma4> closer to my rankings than the one above your post, I couldn't take anyone serious who has the ''black album'' as #1, its a bag of wank

I'd consider 'Wherever I May Roam' to be in the Top 5 Best Metallica Songs.

Otherwise, yeah, its very overrated, but we all should be thankful for its commercial success because it led them to be become legends.

Metallica may have become irrelevant, like Slayer or Megadeth.

I'd consider 'Wherever I May Roam' to be in the Top 5 Best Metallica Songs.

Otherwise, yeah, its very overrated, but we all should be thankful for its commercial success because it led them to be become legends.
i just posted that in 'the bakers dozen thread'' ''great songs in a meh album''

I have to go with the black album but that's because I'm not really into thrash and that album is the least thrashiest. It is also their best produced album and just sounds great. Enter Sandman, Unforgiven and NEM also are some of my favorites of theirs. I like Master of Puppets too but let's be honest: Holy Wars by Megadeth is a better thrash song than anything Metallica ever did

Ride the lightening. Rare blend of sheer rage, songwriting and production. You can hardly go wrong with any of the first 4. Even the Black album. For all the shit it took from hardcore fans it put a guitar riff as heavy as Enter Sandman's on top of the Billboard, which was quite an achievement.

How dare you?!?

Greta-Thunberg-How-Dare-You-640x335.jpg

Metallica is my favorite band and I have seen them live more times than anyone else and even had the chance to meet them in 2009. My favorite album is Kill 'Em All but that doesn't mean it is their best because that goes to Master of Puppets which took what the band did with Ride The Lightning and perfected it.

Here is James Hetfield and myself. What amazing individuals the dudes are in the band. The best part of the whole thing is getting to spend a good 20 minutes with Kirk Hammett just talking about our mutual love of horror movies.
12923218_10153795228737639_1782304277714527836_n.jpg
Hmm. Are you sure you're a Sherdogger?

You look very, very far away from the 6"4 range, bud.

Love Metallica. Picking a favourite album is tough. But I think i'd go with Ride The Lightning.

First 4 albums including the Black Album are all great imo.

Their last album was surprisingly good for dudes their age. Better than most the stuff they have put out since the Black Album.

Love Metallica. Picking a favourite album is tough. But I think i'd go with Ride The Lightning.

First 4 albums including the Black Album are all great imo.

Their last album was surprisingly good for dudes their age. Better than most the stuff they have put out since the Black Album.
The first 4 albums plus the black album would be the first 5 albums.

Kill em all is my favourite, loved when Metallica sounded more “raw”. All those over produced albums never did it for me, ride the lightning is number 2 and Puppets is my third favourite. Probably one of the few people who hated AJFA, it sounded terrible. Paper thin guitar sound, Lars’ snare sounded bad and there was no fucking bass.

Back