What is my base?

Shaquitas EBT

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So when I was a kid,I took karate and Tae Kwon Do,in high school I wrestled.I trained just about all aspects of MMA for about 4 or 5 years now,my hands are decent(nasty fast and solid jab,solid right cross,etc),kicks are getting better(liver kick and inside leg kicks are my best) and my ground has always been good.I can scramble quite well,stuff/hit a variety of takedowns,and I have some decent submissions.At times I screw up on the ground because I feel like my reaction time needs work......what I'm saying is sometimes I go for the tap when really I should ground and pound and vice versa. I know I could use some work but where should I start.....oh also I haven't trained in a while but I'm in pretty good shape.

Just do you, spar a lot with different people and eventually you will figure out a fighting style that works best for you

What fells right for you and where you feel like yourself is your base.

If you got one shot KO power, like scared to hit your sparring partner with anything over 50 percent. Then you might wanna consider prioritizing striking. If you don't then you're going to have to get really good at grappling because you'll get your shit pushed in versus any serious mma fighter these days.

If you have to ask this question then you don't have one.

So when I was a kid,I took karate and Tae Kwon Do,in high school I wrestled.I trained just about all aspects of MMA for about 4 or 5 years now,my hands are decent(nasty fast and solid jab,solid right cross,etc),kicks are getting better(liver kick and inside leg kicks are my best) and my ground has always been good.I can scramble quite well,stuff/hit a variety of takedowns,and I have some decent submissions.At times I screw up on the ground because I feel like my reaction time needs work......what I'm saying is sometimes I go for the tap when really I should ground and pound and vice versa. I know I could use some work but where should I start.....oh also I haven't trained in a while but I'm in pretty good shape.
So, you should probably get some formal training in submission-grappling, be it a BJJ gym, a Combat Submission Wrestling school, a catch wrestling place, whatever. Because of all the things you've mentioned, formal training in a form of submission-grappling wasn't mentioned. That could help you out a whole, whole lot. Lots of amateur fighters neglect their ground game because it isn't as cool as sparring in the gym, which probably makes it even more important, because if you are good at something a lot of people are neglecting, then you're more than good.

maxresdefault.jpg

Back