What is the single most powerful strike

Bearknuckle

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I made this thread in the UFC discussion. And just wanted the strikers take on what the most powerful single strike in combat sports. We’re not talking a heavyweight punch vs a MW punch. Im talking which technique.

my vote was for the flying knee, and some guys said the wheel kick and spinning back kick. Some guys said soccer kicks.

Heres my hierarchy

flying/jumping knee
Wheel kick
Spinning back kick
Spinning elbow are also vicious
Soccer kick, (reason its not as strong to me is because the guy is standing stationary and doing get a running start as an actual soccer kick)

If you have held pads you would know it's the roundhouse. Some strikes might be better for knocking someone out. But it depends on the build of the person who throws the strike as well.

Last edited:
If you have held pads you would know it's the roundhouse. Some strikes might be better for knocking someone out. But it depends on the build of the person who throws the strike as well.

Yeah and when you see people get KO'd by a roundhouse through their gloves that tells you everything you need to know.

Rolling thunder

The Do Mawashi or as it’s called in the west “rolling thunder” is my pick for the single most devastating strike. High risk high reward, incredibly difficult to land or even attempt for that matter. Overall the Thai round kick beats it out though, very powerful in it’s own right and is far more reliable and accurate.

The problem with the rolling thunder is it has like a 1% success rate. Typically thrown out of desperation at the end of the round by the losing party.

The roundhouse is raw reliable power.

The problem with the rolling thunder is it has like a 1% success rate. Typically thrown out of desperation at the end of the round by the losing party.

The roundhouse is raw reliable power.
Even in kyokushin it rarely lands, in kickboxing it’s generally unreliable at best, and in mma it’s basically never done. In the cage you are almost certainly going to miss and land in a heap on the mat, inviting a full mount or an open back.

There are a couple of guys who can pull it off more consistently than the average joe, even then it’s a big gamble. A well developed round kick is going to win any day.

Even if it were to land, is it really more powerful than a roundhouse though? Maybe a different type of force.

Even if it were to land, is it really more powerful than a roundhouse though? Maybe a different type of force.

In my experience rolling thunder and spinning backfists do significant damage but it's more so about the strikes surprising the opponent than it is about being incredibly powerful strikes.

A roundhouse that you see coming can KO you even if you get a glove up to block it.

In my experience rolling thunder and spinning backfists do significant damage but it's more so about the strikes surprising the opponent than it is about being incredibly powerful strikes.

A roundhouse that you see coming can KO you even if you get a glove up to block it.
Of course. I was thinking of power without taking in a context free of landing rate, risk rate etc. The types of force produced by strikes will still differ.

On a target that doesn't hit back, I think a roundhouse generates the most force, depending on where it lands, the shin might also be the hardest "limb" so the impact could arguably be the hardest. But the power also diminished the higher you go. On the other hand a knee can be more targeted and "sharp".

On the punch vs elbow, I think hooks might overall be heavier and faster, but the stealth and sharpness of the elbow just make it more devastating. Rolling thunder I am less experienced with.

I agree, and I think it's the same with the flying knee.

I know @Bearknuckle wanted to push the exotic technique narrative but like @Kanka said if you've held pads for any significant amount of time for people that know what they are doing it's the roundhouse you feel the most.

Standing knees are pretty brutal as well and have more power than the flying variety IMO.

Of course. I was thinking of power without taking in a context free of landing rate, risk rate etc. The types of force produced by strikes will still differ.

On a target that doesn't hit back, I think a roundhouse generates the most force, depending on where it lands, the shin might also be the hardest "limb" so the impact could arguably be the hardest. But the power also diminished the higher you go. On the other hand a knee can be more targeted and "sharp".

On the punch vs elbow, I think hooks might overall be heavier and faster, but the stealth and sharpness of the elbow just make it more devastating. Rolling thunder I am less experienced with.

There's so many variables (like height) that can alter things too.

Obviously there's no definitive answer, i'm simply going by what i've watched for years and what it was like when i used to train at Bad Company with Liam Harrison and Jordan Watson. Everything hurt in sparring, but a roundhouse was just brutal to take.

That's why i have nothing but respect for any thai because Liam and Jordan kicked so hard and thais like Saenchai and Buakaw barely cared when they got kicked.

Bit off topic but you just made me remember how hard i used to get kicked.

There's so many variables (like height) that can alter things too.

Obviously there's no definitive answer, i'm simply going by what i've watched for years and what it was like when i used to train at Bad Company with Liam Harrison and Jordan Watson. Everything hurt in sparring, but a roundhouse was just brutal to take.

That's why i have nothing but respect for any thai because Liam and Jordan kicked so hard and thais like Saenchai and Buakaw barely cared when they got kicked.

Bit off topic but you just made me remember how hard i used to get kicked.
I also just remembered how hard i used to get kicked, but also how hard i used to kick <45>

If going by the padholders expression, the roundhouse seems to be the hardest too lol. Someone is probably more qualified to answer how it actually turns out in fights though. I only had one amateur fight, but after throwing full force kicks to the arms and ribs repeatedly, my instep also got hurt (next time I met the opponent he had a brace or bandage or something on his wrist, so the damage inflicted seems to have been quite significant too). I also think it's amazing how some fighters can get into kicking wars where many of the kicks are blocked, and barely seem fazed by the kicks being blocked. They must have some super ligaments in their instep to avoid damage. Because even when it's supposed to land with the shin, the foot will often also make contact.

Last edited:
I was tempted to say roundhouse, too, but a knee strike flush to the face, especially someone ducking into it or being pulled into it, has me second guessing. I've seen some bad head kicks but the ones that have the most impressive combination of power and damage are knee strikes. But I may change my mind next time I hold pads for a hard kicker :)

flying knee if you step at least 1.
other than that I think spinning elbow.

Back