What is the single most powerful strike

And a roundhouse is nowhere near a spinning heel kick, thrown correctly.

Again, judging a strike by what state the other person ends up in if done right is not a completely accurate way to judge power because there's variables. Also, though the skull is a strong bone it's very easy to hurt so again it's not an accurate way to judge power.

Like i said to Broadcast, to test power without variables just hold pads and let someone do a roundhouse kick, and a spinning heal kick, it's very different.

Also for whoever said if we're counting illegal strikes it would be the 12-6 elbow that's incorrect too. Though a 12-6 elbow could crack your skull the motion isn't creating as much power as you think, it's more so the formation of bone in the elbow combined with the accuracy of where it hits. An illegal strike that is pure power would be the soccer kick using the shin on a prone opponent, the force could render you unconscious, rearrange your face, and most importantly break your neck, that is power.

Hold out your hand instead of holding out a pad and compare a full force spinning heel kick to a full force roundhouse kick. Spinning heel kick hits harder.

That's my point, that's not power. Using your hand to judge is like using your face, you'd feel the pain of the strike and therefore it's not a completely accurate way to judge power. Using pads and judging the force behind both strikes is a completely accurate way to judge them, sorry if you disagree but it's just facts.

I can see how a spinning heel kick to the liver could hurt more, but I think a hard roundhouse is just optimized to involve as much body mass and speed as possible in a coordinated manner.

If you just hold the hands out, I am sure the spinning kick would just push the hand away, while the roundhouse could possible cause fractures in the bones.

Last edited:
That's my point, that's not power. Using your hand to judge is like using your face, you'd feel the pain of the strike and therefore it's not a completely accurate way to judge power. Using pads and judging the force behind both strikes is a completely accurate way to judge them, sorry if you disagree but it's just facts.
Ya that's true. A roundhouse kick might push a bag more than a spinning heel kick but a heel kick will shatter a jawbone much more easily. Doesn't a smaller surface area make for more power, technically since there's less surface area to spread out the impact?

Ya that's true. A roundhouse kick might push a bag more than a spinning heel kick but a heel kick will shatter a jawbone much more easily. Doesn't a smaller surface area make for more power, technically since there's less surface area to spread out the impact?

I know what you mean and it's a good point but that's more to do with precision and speed from the spin that cracks a bone, whereas with a roundhouse kick the shin being the strongest bone in the human body along with the turning of the hips which puts all the body weight behind it just put such force into it.

I'm not just talking out of my ass, i've blocked a spinning heel kick and i've blocked a roundhouse. Blocking the spinning heel kick hurt for a moment, blocking the roundhouse nearly broke my arms and made me just want to dodge instead.

Ya that's true. A roundhouse kick might push a bag more than a spinning heel kick but a heel kick will shatter a jawbone much more easily.
It's actually the opposite. A roundhouse will push the bag less than any type of spinning kick (look at the bag in the Joe Rogan video posted earlier), side kick, teep, etc.

It's actually the opposite. A roundhouse will push the bag less than any type of spinning kick (look at the bag in the Joe Rogan video posted earlier), side kick, teep, etc.
Spinning heel kick is a bit different though as it's arching and not linear, so there isn't much behind it that can push. Round kicks don't really push the bag though when hitting a heavy bag hard they fold or dent it depending on how hard the bag is so I agree with you there.

Spinning heel kick is a bit different though as it's arching and not linear, so there isn't much behind it that can push. Round kicks don't really push the bag though when hitting a heavy bag hard they fold or dent it depending on how hard the bag is so I agree with you there.
Well the arching one I think has potential to have enough power to produce pretty bad KOs if landed cleanly but a lot of times it is rather weak.

If you have held pads you would know it's the roundhouse. Some strikes might be better for knocking someone out. But it depends on the build of the person who throws the strike as well.
Pad holder and striking coach here- I’ve got to agree on the round house

I think everyone should imagine taking each of these strikes somewhere innocuous, like the shoulder and then decide which hits the hardest.

The more I think on it the more I think a spinning back kick hits the hardest

It's a linear strike so you have to take in account the "shoving" effect which I think is different from power. You can certainly generate a lot of force with those and they are at least higher percentage than a lot of the other things being thrown around in here for sensationalism.

Still going roundhouse any day all day for power.

I agree with you with roundhouses because they're simple to throw and generate a lot of power and force. I'd say "spinning roundhouses" are probably even worse be it spinning back kicks or simply spinning roundhouses, just because there's even more momentum and/or bodyweight behind them, but indeed they're more tricky to throw and land.

Some examples:
32078db6e1440fbdffa410518da7a4a5.gif

nKgsMnD.gif

AffectionateElementaryArmednylonshrimp-size_restricted.gif

MMA-spinning-wheel-kick-KO.gif

38feadf424592d823514d24b2313cada.gif

One of the fighters from my dojo landed this at the Kyokushin Scottish Open in 2013 (our dojo was in London):

Or some other examples here from Garry O'Neil, time stamped (ignore the title and music):

Last edited:
Back