Movies What is your opinion of Mark Wahlberg as an actor?

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
As an actor, do you think he is good, bad , meh ?

Only movies I saw with Wahlberg are the Transformers movies, Planet of the Apes and The Departed. Except for the first Transformers movie, have not seen the others from start to finish. My recollection of Wahlberg is that his performance was not memorable, just kinda meh.

200_d.gif

I find most of his movies entertaining.

He always seems to play the exact same character so I’m not sure how good a actor he actually is. He is in some damn good movies though

He always seems to play the exact same character so I’m not sure how good a actor he actually is. He is in some damn good movies though
He's got good connections and an amazing agent ?

His acting in Planet of Apes didn't seem right, it felt forced and the character felt the same as his character in Transformers. Normally I can't say with reasonable certainty if an actor is a good fit for a movie, but with Wahlberg in Planet of the Apes, I felt he was not a good casting choice.

always play the same role

his movies are usually fun tho

Meh.

He has no range & he basically seems to be playing variations on the same guy over & over again. Definitely not one of my favorites.

He basically plays the jersey toughguy persona fairly well but becomes very bland at anything else.

I still have a hard time getting over the fact that Wahlberg has been charged multiple times for racist hate crimes when he was younger and he paid for his crimes by becoming a rich and successful celebrity.

In 1986, a then 15-year-old Wahlberg and three friends were charged for chasing three black children and pelting them with rocks while yelling: “Kill the n*****s” until an ambulance driver intervened.

The next day, Wahlberg harrassed another group of mostly black children (around the age of nine or 10) at the beach, gathering other white men to join in racially abusing and throwing rocks at them.

He called one man, Thanh Lam, a “Vietnam f***ing s***” and knocked him unconscious with a five-foot wooden stick, while punching another man, army veteran Johnny Trinh, in the eye later in the same day. Officers reported that Wahlberg used racist slurs to describe both men.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...story-george-floyd-blm-protests-a9554191.html

AnguishedPrestigiousBurro-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Only movies I saw with Wahlberg are the Transformers movies, Planet of the Apes and The Departed. Except for the first Transformers movie, have not seen the others from start to finish. My recollection of Wahlberg is that his performance was not memorable, just kinda meh.

He was ok in the Departed.

He basically plays the jersey toughguy persona fairly well but becomes very bland at anything else.
Exactly. Every time he's attempted to move beyond those types of roles the results have been rather painful to watch IMO.

I still have a hard time getting over the fact that Wahlberg has been charged multiple times for racist hate crimes when he was younger and he paid for his crimes by becoming a rich and successful celebrity.

In 1986, a then 15-year-old Wahlberg and three friends were charged for chasing three black children and pelting them with rocks while yelling: “Kill the n*****s” until an ambulance driver intervened.

The next day, Wahlberg harrassed another group of mostly black children (around the age of nine or 10) at the beach, gathering other white men to join in racially abusing and throwing rocks at them.

He called one man, Thanh Lam, a “Vietnam f***ing s***” and knocked him unconscious with a five-foot wooden stick, while punching another man, army veteran Johnny Trinh, in the eye later in the same day. Officers reported that Wahlberg used racist slurs to describe both men.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...story-george-floyd-blm-protests-a9554191.html
Somehow I never even knew this, typical racist Boston dbags. He’s also roided to gills in a lot of roles a fraud

Meh. He's in some good movies and at least one great one but the quality has little to do with his presence.

AnguishedPrestigiousBurro-size_restricted.gif
Yeah, he's always been a piece of shit. Also remember him acting like a drunk turd on the Graham Norton show. Michael Fassbender was sharing an anecdote and Wahlberg was making it real awkward by consistently being passive agressive and pretending like he was snoring, etc. He's basically a jock/bully who made it big. And it's how non-Americans view how Americans stereotypically act.

Another thing, he is selling Vietnamese style burgers in his restaurant now.

He's a good actor who's capable of greatness in the right role. He was nominated for Academy Awards for his roles in The Departed and The Fighter. And I thought he was excellent in both. I also thought he was great in Boogie Nights and Fear.

Has he done a lot of shit movies or roles that weren't all that demanding and could have been played by any random movie star? Sure. He's more of a movie star talent than a best actor of his generation talent. But I wouldn't write him off.

Average, used his pop career to get his foot in door and has been putting in consistently average performances since then.

Back