Movies What is your opinion of Mark Wahlberg as an actor?

He is charismatic, has a presence, but is a bad actor. (so is the Rock, Vin Diesel, many others) The Happening, The Perfect Storm, Planet of The Apes, Ted, The Corruptor, Daddy's Home 2.....He is BAD. Like you notice it bad. I still do not avoid his stuff because it's almost like I expect it and some of his movies are still worth watching.

My most disliked well known hollywood actor. I think his acting is wooden and a try hard.

I have deduced he is an actor.

Meh. I just remember Max Payne the movie

I still have a hard time getting over the fact that Wahlberg has been charged multiple times for racist hate crimes when he was younger and he paid for his crimes by becoming a rich and successful celebrity.

In 1986, a then 15-year-old Wahlberg and three friends were charged for chasing three black children and pelting them with rocks while yelling: “Kill the n*****s” until an ambulance driver intervened.

The next day, Wahlberg harrassed another group of mostly black children (around the age of nine or 10) at the beach, gathering other white men to join in racially abusing and throwing rocks at them.

He called one man, Thanh Lam, a “Vietnam f***ing s***” and knocked him unconscious with a five-foot wooden stick, while punching another man, army veteran Johnny Trinh, in the eye later in the same day. Officers reported that Wahlberg used racist slurs to describe both men.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...story-george-floyd-blm-protests-a9554191.html

AnguishedPrestigiousBurro-size_restricted.gif
Well as we all know EVERYONE should be held strictly accountable for things said at 9 or 10. Isn't cancel culture just the best thing ever

Good in some movies like Boogie Nights, The Other Guys, and The Departed. But forgettable if he's the main serious action hero character.

Not an amazing actor or anything but I think he can be pretty funny.

I really enjoyed The Other Guys, Ted, The Big Hit.

He's an example of why acting is a farce. From kindergarten rap to action hero lol

He's an example of why acting is a farce. From kindergarten rap to action hero lol

Someone made a good point in a different thread explaining that film is a director's medium. A good director can use less talented actor's and still make a pretty good film. Theater is different in that you need very good actors to pull it off. If you put a medicore actor like Mark Wahlberg (or many Hollywood actors) on stage in front of a live audience the actor will fail miserably and ruin the show.

"Wahlberg was booked to fly on American Airlines Flight 11 on September 11, 2001, but his plans changed the day before and he canceled his reservation. He received backlash for stating in a 2012 interview, "If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did". He added that "there would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, 'OK, we're going to land somewhere safely, don't worry.'" He issued an apology after family members of those killed on the flight expressed outrage.[92]"

Lol'd

"crimes against humanity"?
Yes sure what he did sucks but do you know how fucking young 15YO is? Seriously at 15 YO I was such a worthless little piece of shit that all I should have been good at is getting the shit beaten out of me by my father, who unfortunately for me, did not believe in child beating.

I think it is really questionable to give shit to a man pushing 50 for shit he did as a teen. Unless we are talking about really bad shit like murder or rape, maybe. But being a violent, racist little shit is none of that.
Yes we all do stupid shit at 15 and we do change and have regrets over decisions in the past. The gripe is how he blinded a guy permanently and never was really reprimended for his actions. That was the really bad shit people are talking about. He only got 30 days in jail.

He was awesome in The Departed which is in my top 3 favourite movies of all time so to me he's a great actor

He's got good connections and an amazing agent ?

His acting in Planet of Apes didn't seem right, it felt forced and the character felt the same as his character in Transformers. Normally I can't say with reasonable certainty if an actor is a good fit for a movie, but with Wahlberg in Planet of the Apes, I felt he was not a good casting choice.

Did you see him in the departed ? He was awesome. But the movie and his character were too. But if you haven't seen it do it might change your opinion of him

Alright - if he's playing parts that are just him being him. In other words being an asshole.

If you're asking if I enjoy the movies he's in, then yes. I don't know much about acting so I can't really critique it from that perspective.

Did you see him in the departed ? He was awesome. But the movie and his character were too. But if you haven't seen it do it might change your opinion of him
I've seen The Departed. Movie was good but I don't recall Wahlberg's character being memorable.

Back