What made Samart Payakaroon so successful?

Dafuq?

I've won titles in it moron.

God forbid a dude should think outside the box and diversify/improve his style.

Qiu has broke up thai champions with his style - there's clearly merit to diversifying.
I'm a solid 191 cm, 6ft 3".

About the same height as Dwayne Johnson.

You know what the advantage is?

Fear.

I'm also jacked, but there's plenty of jacked manlets, and they don't elicit that fear.

People take one look at you and immediately think, "aw shit, not gonna fuck with him".

People are like cock-a-roaches, especially in free-for-all social environments.
If they could give you shit, or fuck with you in some capacity, they would.
Crap rolls downhill.

I noticed today, I went to hang at this social outdoor spot by the river, listening to some sounds on my new KZ ZSN pro headphones (beastly), checking out some hot girls etc.

I could see folk looking at me thinking, "who you think you are, standing there like you don't have a care in the world - Fonzy?".

And then they'd clock my height and think, "aw shit - eyes forward, eyes forward".

It's that simple.

Seems to be the world we live in.

If I was a manlet, you can be sure some folks might try and fuck with me.

6ft 3", jacked - I'm teflon.

Mosab Amrani was the Glory champion at the time they fought, Qiu stopped him pretty effortlessly.

He also chopped up Nong-O and Kaew Fairtex.

He's taken out the best thai fighters in his division, stadium champions etc.

I think he looks like a dork, but his style is clearly effective.

Not to mention in his weight class, he's ranked No. 1 in the world.
TS is a habitual liar who goes into the Mayberry and tells his fake stories about how he gets rejected from girls but gets laid all the time

TS is a habitual liar who goes into the Mayberry and tells his fake stories about how he gets rejected from girls but gets laid all the time
Not true. He won all his fights by fear for being a 6'3 stud. All opponents dropped out when they saw him on the roster list. He is just that much alpha

Takeru is ranked number 1 p4p, Tenshin is ranked 6. Tenshin hasn't faced close to the opposition of Takeru yet
Who do you think wins?
I know tenshin has shown weakness to pressure fighters in the past. But I feel like that experience with rodtang and mayweather was very good for him and maybe he learned from those fights. What do you think? Does Takeru just fight like a savage and break him?

Who do you think wins?
I know tenshin has shown weakness to pressure fighters in the past. But I feel like that experience with rodtang and mayweather was very good for him and maybe he learned from those fights. What do you think? Does Takeru just fight like a savage and break him?

Probably Takeru, lots of volume punches, switch kicks and chusoku mawashi geri. I think he'd wear Takeru down - but if I'm honest I don't think they'll ever fight. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Probably Takeru, lots of volume punches, switch kicks and chusoku mawashi geri. I think he'd wear Takeru down - but if I'm honest I don't think they'll ever fight. Hopefully I'm wrong!
Takeru vs takeru... interesting. I don’t think switch kicks play a factor in open stance match ups though

Takeru vs takeru... interesting. I don’t think switch kicks play a factor in open stance match ups though
Takerus got the edge on Takeru :p

But no in seriousness, the switch kick will still let him shepherd and allow him to throw the chusoku from the other side - I think Takeru looks very polished but he tends to look less polished when actually in a fight, Suakim and Rodtang made him look far less of a convincing fighter, well... Rodtang beat him

Being able to add what "is uniquely your own" which doesn't come until mastering proper technique.

Take a look at Pacquiao footwork when he ko Thurman. "Incorrect technique "

Look at prince naseem.

Expressing yourself truly. Easier said than done but when your able to do it, you create your own thing, which no one else is able to duplicate because they are not you.

No one can be you better you. Fight how you want to.

At a certain level your able to break "the rules"

This is something all the greats are capable of doing.

Saenchai being another good example, bringing muay boran techniques in.

Being able to add what "is uniquely your own" which doesn't come until mastering proper technique.

Take a look at Pacquiao footwork when he ko Thurman. "Incorrect technique "

Look at prince naseem.

Expressing yourself truly. Easier said than done but when your able to do it, you create your own thing, which no one else is able to duplicate because they are not you.

No one can be you better you. Fight how you want to.

At a certain level your able to break "the rules"

This is something all the greats are capable of doing.

Saenchai being another good example, bringing muay boran techniques in.

Interesting point. That being said, but please correct if I am wrong, what does Samart do that isn't textbook? I could be wrong but I don't remember him doing anything out of the ordinary.

What sets him apart as a GOAT IMO is his god tier ring IQ, understanding of distance and timing as well as reflexes.

I think this beat down more than any other shows the sign of the times.

Number one fighter pound for pound fighter in Thailand a couple of years earlier dropped four times in 3 rounds in China;

Interesting point. That being said, but please correct if I am wrong, what does Samart do that isn't textbook? I could be wrong but I don't remember him doing anything out of the ordinary.

What sets him apart as a GOAT IMO is his god tier ring IQ, understanding of distance and timing as well as reflexes.

Imho, that's what shows how talented guys are unique - even when they do it not-textbook or outright wrong, against regulations, the moves still work for them. Would not for an average guys, tho <45>.

Correct. Peeps just get baffled by someone being really good and they think that it's 'levels' or being 'unorthodox'.

We still have people who think that head movement in Muay Thai is some high level shit, even though actual 6 year olds in boxing classes are able to do it with a few months practise

Correct. Peeps just get baffled by someone being really good and they think that it's 'levels' or being 'unorthodox'.

We still have people who think that head movement in Muay Thai is some high level shit, even though actual 6 year olds in boxing classes are able to do it with a few months practise

Yeah, as far as I know, Samart is super orthodox, he just has higher level understanding and reflexes. But TBF, Samart is really baffling to watch because he does nothing out of the ordinary, yet his appanyents tend to look like amateurs, even if top-tier.

I think an intresting comparaison is Somrak. I personally think that he is on the same tier as Samart. But in Somrack's case it looks different. You can tell that Somrak's secret is simply that he sees you moving in slow-motion. That's it. So IMO even if he also figures out what you are going to do before you know it, he is also in another dimension in terms of reaction time. You just can't touch him.

Samart is untouchabe not so much because of his reflexes (which are also top-tier of course), but because of his intelligence. It's as if he has some algorithm in his head that tells him exactly where to be at a given split second and 10 moves in advance.

Both guys are absolutely amazing to watch. Once in a lifetime GOATS, semi-Gods amongst mortals.

I think an intresting comparaison is Somrak. I personally think that he is on the same tier as Samart. But in Somrack's case it looks different. You can tell that Somrak's secret is simply that he sees you moving in slow-motion

It may or may not be a coincidence that those guys also competed in boxing at a high level.

It's true that a lot of guys dipped their toes in the water, there are also guys who dropped out of muay thai early and focused solely on boxing but there are also guys like Kaoklai who have a 1-6 pro boxing record.

On the topic of the thread title, one thing that sticks out about Samart's preparation is you can find footage of him sparring like this with high level guys;

There are many other examples of guys in thailand sparring much lighter because they have got to fight again in three weeks. Whether or not the intensity of his sparring was a factor in his success is I believe an open question.

It may or may not be a coincidence that those guys also competed in boxing at a high level.

It's true that a lot of guys dipped their toes in the water, there are also guys who dropped out of muay thai early and focused solely on boxing but there are also guys like Kaoklai who have a 1-6 pro boxing record.

On the topic of the thread title, one thing that sticks out about Samart's preparation is you can find footage of him sparring like this with high level guys;

There are many other examples of guys in thailand sparring much lighter because they have got to fight again in three weeks. Whether or not the intensity of his sparring was a factor in his success is I believe an open question.

Valid observation. That being said, many golden era MT fighters boxed at a high level and not many of them have Samart's / Somrack' skills. Veeraphol, Samson, Wangchannoi all boxed at a high level, for example, but none of them come close to Samart's genious. There are many others, too.

Back