What music do white kids listen to nowadays?

GolovKing

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Is rap music the most popular form of music among white kids today? Most white teens that I've come across seem to actually like rap music over rock or anything else

I think mumble rap still unless that's died out

I live in Ny . I have popular teenagers. By far it’s hip hop, the bad kind. Trap mumble rap. They don’t dress like them, but that’s the popular music. Next is 80s hits, they all know all the songs because they grew up on them. Then 3rd is new country., LUKE Bryant etc.
New rock is dead, there isn’t even any Goth kids left....they all became trans kids.

That shit sells crazy at my store, I'm constantly seeing kids with K-Pop merch. I don't when it took off, but it's definitely the other half to whatever they're calling trendy rap right now.

The last few vinyls my 20-year-old bought:

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
MF Doom - mmm.. food
MF Doom - Madvillainy
Deltron3030

He's big into King Gizzard and Black Moth Super Rainbow too.

So, rap/hip-hop especially underground stuff and neo-psychedelic/experimental/ecclectic/art rock.

MF Doom - mmm.. food
MF Doom - Madvillainy
Deltron3030

So, rap/hip-hop especially underground stuff and neo-psychedelic/experimental/ecclectic/art rock.

The very fact your kid bought vinyl shows he is an outlier. I really respect his good taste and that he is truly delving into music, appreciating artists 20 or even 30 years before his time.

But he is definitely not representative of his generation.

Why do they gotta be white?

Most new rock has a lot of Electronica and/or rap in it. That or it's very Folk and blues inspired.

The former seems to more geared towards kids and the later more for 30 somethings who want to continue to find new music.

My nephew told me the other day he's been listening to a lot of Wu Tang. I've never been more proud.

Nice. It used to confuse me when I saw kids 20 and younger wearing Wu-Tang shirts. But now I figure it is retro chic to them.

Gen X paid similar homage to previous generations. Grunge guys wore The Who, Doors, and Sabbath shirts.

MF Doom - mmm.. food
MF Doom - Madvillainy
Deltron3030

Get him to crank that deltron 3030 album, that's one of my favourites.

Back