What sort of handgun should I use for home protection?

sweetviolenturg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My wife & I just got married & we're moving to Sedona, Arizona where my father in law bought us a house in his neighborhood as a wedding present. One of the things that he's insisting upon though is that I learn how to properly defend our property as he's a very big believer in firearms for self-defense. He taught my wife how to shoot when she was just a kid & she has her old .38 revolver waiting for her when we get there.
I, on the other hand, have always lived in New York & I've never fired a handgun in my life. But, my father in law plans on remedying that as soon as I get there & teaching me how to shoot. And, once I've learned properly he has an assortment of guns for me to choose from that he's going to give me. I don't know why my wife's .38 isn't enough but he wants both of us armed. So, I guess I'm going to have my choice between a .38 like my wife, a Sig Sauer something or other, a Glock & a "baby" Glock.
So, my question to you gentlemen is which one should I choose? I realize that I'll probably have to fire them all to see which one I'm the most capable with but if you had to make a suggestion based on the limited amount of info I've given you, which would you say is my best bet?
From what little I've read I like the idea of a Glock the best but then I've heard that they jam occasionally. Is that true or is it just a bad rap that automatics get?
Thanks for reading & any replies will be greatly appreciated. Peace.

My wife & I just got married & we're moving to Sedona, Arizona where my father in law bought us a house in his neighborhood as a wedding present. One of the things that he's insisting upon though is that I learn how to properly defend our property as he's a very big believer in firearms for self-defense. He taught my wife how to shoot when she was just a kid & she has her old .38 revolver waiting for her when we get there.
I, on the other hand, have always lived in New York & I've never fired a handgun in my life. But, my father in law plans on remedying that as soon as I get there & teaching me how to shoot. And, once I've learned properly he has an assortment of guns for me to choose from that he's going to give me. I don't know why my wife's .38 isn't enough but he wants both of us armed. So, I guess I'm going to have my choice between a .38 like my wife, a Sig Sauer something or other, a Glock & a "baby" Glock.
So, my question to you gentlemen is which one should I choose? I realize that I'll probably have to fire them all to see which one I'm the most capable with but if you had to make a suggestion based on the limited amount of info I've given you, which would you say is my best bet?
From what little I've read I like the idea of a Glock the best but then I've heard that they jam occasionally. Is that true or is it just a bad rap that automatics get?

I use a .38 special smith and Wesson with no hammer. I like revolvers because they are idiot proof. They pretty much always work, take very little maintenance, and the lack of a hammer makes it hard to shoot your self with it.

My wife and I shoot it a few times a year just so we are familiar with it but don't really love guns so I see this type of gun as the best option for us.

I use a .38 special smith and Wesson with no hammer. I like revolvers because they are idiot proof. They pretty much always work, take very little maintenance, and the lack of a hammer makes it hard to shoot your self with it.

My wife and I shoot it a few times a year just so we are familiar with it but don't really love guns so I see this type of gun as the best option for us.
Thanks, man. I'll definitely take that into consideration if that's one of the options.

I'd say your best bet is to fire the guns and then begin to decide. There's a big difference between a revolver and a semi-auto. You'll surely have a personal preference.

As for reliability, either a Sig or a Glock should be just fine. Any marginal increase in the likelihood of failure is (in my opinion) overcome by the large increase in capacity. With a self-defense situation, if you're gonna be pulling the trigger, you'll want to be able to get lots of rounds off in a hurry. If you watch surveillance videos you'll see there's not a lot of "one shot, one kill" situations. Rounds miss and aren't necessarily going to incapacitate someone even when they hit.

It's just ironic that I'm moving from Niagara Falls, one of the most dangerous cities in the nation per capita, to one of the safest in Sedona & it's in Sedona that I'll be armed. LOL.

I'd say your best bet is to fire the guns and then begin to decide. There's a big difference between a revolver and a semi-auto. You'll surely have a personal preference.

As for reliability, either a Sig or a Glock should be just fine. Any marginal increase in the likelihood of failure is (in my opinion) overcome by the large increase in capacity. With a self-defense situation, if you're gonna be pulling the trigger, you'll want to be able to get lots of rounds off in a hurry. If you watch surveillance videos you'll see there's not a lot of "one shot, one kill" situations. Rounds miss and aren't necessarily going to incapacitate someone even when they hit.

Thanks again. That's what I figured but it's good to know that semi-automatics aren't as likely to fail as some say.
My father in law told me that he's going to have me fire each & every one of his guns before I'm through. Then, he says he's going to have me shoot his Desert Eagle but I don't like how he chuckles when he says it. I'd rather not fire something that's going to put me on my back. Which, I'm assuming, it might do. But, then again, my wife has fired it & came away from it uninjured so if she can handle it I'm hoping that I can too. I hope. LOL.

Glocks dont have a propensity to jam. They are basically the gold standard for automatic pistols.

It is true that automatic pistols can jam, and they certainly do depending on a number of factors, but so can revolvers. If a revolver jams on you, it needs to go to an armorer because it's likely fucked.

You can jam any automatic pistol with under powered ammunition and by holding it incorrectly. You will need to learn how to clear a malfunction when it occurs.

My recommendation is a glock 17/34 and a baby glock 43. But if you are given the choice of a sig...like a legionaire... those are nice as fuck.

Thanks again. That's what I figured but it's good to know that semi-automatics aren't as likely to fail as some say.
My father in law told me that he's going to have me fire each & every one of his guns before I'm through. Then, he says he's going to have me shoot his Desert Eagle but I don't like how he chuckles when he says it. I'd rather not fire something that's going to put me on my back. Which, I'm assuming, it might do. But, then again, my wife has fired it & came away from it uninjured so if she can handle it I'm hoping that I can too. I hope. LOL.

Semi-autos have changed over the years. And if you do a little searching for the failure rate of revolvers you'll see they can also malfunction. Glocks aren't magical creatures either. Lots of semi-autos will give you similar reliability. If you're getting a free gun then don't look a gift horse in the mouth. But if you can, after deciding which direction you wanna go, hit a gun store and hold different models. Your hand size and the gun size/ergonomics will make a big difference.

Shooting the Desert Eagle is kinda like eating the hottest food you can. Part of the fun is toughing out the physical discomfort.

Semi-autos have changed over the years. And if you do a little searching for the failure rate of revolvers you'll see they can also malfunction. Glocks aren't magical creatures either. Lots of semi-autos will give you similar reliability. If you're getting a free gun then don't look a gift horse in the mouth. But if you can, after deciding which direction you wanna go, hit a gun store and hold different models. Your hand size and the gun size/ergonomics will make a big difference.

Shooting the Desert Eagle is kinda like eating the hottest food you can. Part of the fun is toughing out the physical discomfort.
Cool. That's valuable info.
As for my choices, apparently, I'll have plenty of them as my father in law has quite a collection from which to choose. So, I'm sure I'll find something I like.
The Desert Eagle? I'm going to work my way up to it & then look at it as a challenge like I did back in my boxing days. As long as I listen to instructions & do it properly, I'll be just fine. I'll consider it a success as long as I stay on my feet. Whether I'll be able to hit the broad side of a barn is another story.

Cartridges.
If you don't have common european restrictions, then…
45.ACP, 40.Auto, 40 S&W I think is the most effective, especially if hollow point type loads allowed.
38.Sp are quite effective especially with heawy revolver cos easy controllable recoil and precise. Easy to do next shoots quickly, it isn't 357 or 40.Auto...
380.ACP is considered as weak cartridge, but I don't know.

I cannot use other cartridges than with FMJ and have caliber limitation so
9*19mm Luger type P++, 357 Sig or 357.Magnum the most powerful awailable. And with damn FMJ.

38.Sp for revolver or 9*18 mac ( russian PM ) I think also enough effective.
If there are restrictions to carry hangun with chambered cartridge for CCW permits, then guys often buy revolver, this allowed to carry with loaded cylinder and second handgun is pistol.

Last edited:

Take a legit handgun course, this is imo the most important. Buy a 9mm. Look at a Glock 17 & 19, CZ P10 C or F. Sig's quality control has been a bit questionable lately but I'm sure the internet is blowing that out of proportion. The 320 X5 and P226 series is great. I'd still probably recommend Glock.

Glock has the longest and largest track record for reliability.

Having said that.

How do you feel about owning an AR?

It's hard to argue against glock(I own 6 of them)....but I understand they aren't for everyone. I love the feel of h&k in my hand and one of my next 3 purchases will be another. Revolvers can be great also...I cc one about 1/3 of the time. An ar makes a great home defense gun but not sure how you feel about that. Any gun you decide on will need a bunch of rounds put through it before you are really comfortable with it. Shoot your father in laws guns....go to a gun shop and handle anything that looks interesting....take a handgun course. I wish there was an easier answer but there really isn't. I'm actually going through this situation with my mother. She's getting older and wants a handgun for the house. So far she doesn't like anything I've let her hold.

Take a legit handgun course, this is imo the most important. Buy a 9mm. Look at a Glock 17 & 19, CZ P10 C or F. Sig's quality control has been a bit questionable lately but I'm sure the internet is blowing that out of proportion. The 320 X5 and P226 series is great. I'd still probably recommend Glock.

Glock has the longest and largest track record for reliability.

Having said that.

How do you feel about owning an AR?
Thanks for your input & info, sir. I appreciate them.
While not closing my mind to other things, I do keep coming back to Glocks in my research.
Regarding an AR. Thanks for the suggestion but I think I'll be quite content with my wife's .38 & whatever handgun I choose in the house for protection.

It's hard to argue against glock(I own 6 of them)....but I understand they aren't for everyone. I love the feel of h&k in my hand and one of my next 3 purchases will be another. Revolvers can be great also...I cc one about 1/3 of the time. An ar makes a great home defense gun but not sure how you feel about that. Any gun you decide on will need a bunch of rounds put through it before you are really comfortable with it. Shoot your father in laws guns....go to a gun shop and handle anything that looks interesting....take a handgun course. I wish there was an easier answer but there really isn't. I'm actually going through this situation with my mother. She's getting older and wants a handgun for the house. So far she doesn't like anything I've let her hold.
Another check mark in the Glock category. They must be excellent handguns.
And, again, while I respect those of you who feel more secure having an AR or something like it in the home ( my father in law owns two ) I'm just getting my head around the idea of having a handgun. Perhaps if we were moving to an area with a high crime rate ( like the one that I'm moving from ) I'd give it some thought but two handguns should be enough in Sedona.
Again, thanks much for your two cents it's all appreciated.
Good luck with your mom.
Peace.

And, again, while I respect those of you who feel more secure having an AR or something like it in the home ( my father in law owns two ) I'm just getting my head around the idea of having a handgun. Perhaps if we were moving to an area with a high crime rate ( like the one that I'm moving from ) I'd give it some thought but two handguns should be enough in Sedona.
Good luck with your mom.
Peace.
I understand 100%. You have to do you.
And thanks.....mom is gonna take some work.

Good luck with your mom.
Peace.

With respect mate an AR is more likely safer for you to use

I understand 100%. You have to do you.
And thanks.....mom is gonna take some work.

I am wondering if I should get a shotgun for dealing with the sort of critters that live in & around the desert though. Something to use to scare off things like coyotes, mountain lions, etc should they come around our yard sniffing after our two housecats. I don't know if handguns can or should be used in situations like those. What do you think?

Thanks for your input & info, sir. I appreciate them.
While not closing my mind to other things, I do keep coming back to Glocks in my research.
Regarding an AR. Thanks for the suggestion but I think I'll be quite content with my wife's .38 & whatever handgun I choose in the house for protection.

Good luck with your mom.
Peace.

It takes a lot of time and practice to become proficient with a handgun. Taking 1 beginner/intro pistols course followed by the standard pistol course after that seems expensive but if you are serious about wanting a firearm for defense and you want to be skilled with it, those courses will get you much further skill/confidence wise than just going out yourself or having friends/family teach you.

Every gun manufacturer tries to make a "Glock killer". Nobody has really succeeded. Their reliability in striker fired guns is pretty much unrivaled.

You shouldn't have an issue with crime there. Places like Tuscon and Phoenix is more susceptible to that kind of thing.

The thing about the AR is it is very easy to be accurate with, easy to shoot and with the right ammo will penetrate less walls than a 9mm. I understand not everyone wanting one. Maybe later if this interests you as a hobby.

I am wondering if I should get a shotgun for dealing with the sort of critters that live in & around the desert though. Something to use to scare off things like coyotes, mountain lions, etc should they come around our yard sniffing after our two housecats. I don't know if handguns can or should be used in situations like those. What do you think?

What kind of property will you be living on?

Back