What sort of handgun should I use for home protection?

I would use a short pump shotgun for home defence, loaded with large buckshot. It has the same amount of lead in one cartrige as in all cylinder of a .38 revolver, and you want it if you want to reliably stop a meth head.

Out of guns you mentioned baby glock is really good for concealed carry, a sig sauer is the flashiest, they are usually concidered a mercedes benz of european pistols.

In a war? You have a point.

For protection? You’re wrong. Especially considering many conceal carry semis are single stack with not much more in the clip than a cylinder has. And considering .357 defense rounds have some of the best ballistics available. This is a ridiculous conversation.

You're absolutely right this is a ridiculous conversation.

Why would you use a single stack sub compact for home protection?

No, full size 9mm pistol with 17+ rounds. Lower bore axis, better ergonomics, less recoil, less muzzle flash, faster more controlled shots, weapon light, etc. Less weight, even a loaded Glock 17 weighs less than an unloaded 4.x" GP100 or 686.

Again revolvers are vastly inferior in nearly every way, especially for defensive use. If for some reason you needed more than 9mm with quality ammo (you don't) 10mm exists. But since 10mm and 357 are both overkill it's a moot point imo.

Last edited:

No, full size 9mm pistol with 17+ rounds. Higher bore axis, better ergonomics, less recoil, less muzzle flash, faster more controlled shots, weapon light, etc. Less weight, even a loaded Glock 17 weighs less than an unloaded 4.x" GP100 or 686.

Again revolvers are vastly inferior in nearly every way, especially for defensive use. If for some reason you needed more than 9mm with quality ammo (you don't) 10mm exists. But since 10mm and 357 are both overkill it's a moot point imo.

"You mean Boris the sneaky fucking Russian"

No, full size 9mm pistol with 17+ rounds. Higher bore axis, better ergonomics, less recoil, less muzzle flash, faster more controlled shots, weapon light, etc. Less weight, even a loaded Glock 17 weighs less than an unloaded 4.x" GP100 or 686.

I was making a point for overall defense, including carry situations outside of the home.

And you’re getting even more ridiculous with some of your points. We’ll start with recoil -a 6 inch barrel on a 686 will have less recoil than many polymer 9s which is lighter and can be jumpy in the wrong persons hands. There are steel framed 9’s and so on of course (CZ 75, Beretta..) but let’s not act like they don’t have their recoil too. another point -everyone is different when it comes to firearms and controlling them while shooting. But the balance of a revolver with a 6 inch barrel if it’s made properly cancels out a lot of the things you mention naturally in the shooters hands. The weight of many revolvers (being steel framed for the most part) helps cancel some of this out too.

Trigger pull is different. Some people have better control over a heavy trigger pull on a double action revolver over that of a semi auto. Many people don’t practice/shoot as much as they should and simply own a gun for defense and stick with what’s comfortable to them. So in that case, that individual gun that they’re comfortable with is superior for them to anything else you put in their hands.

The ergonomics comment is hilarious because everyone has a different fit. Some guns feel better in one persons hands than another. Some people are more comfortable with one firearm over another. My -4 7 shot feels nicer in my hands than anything I’ve ever held or own. It’s also by far the hand gun I shoot best with.

Accuracy as some say is mostly in the shooter, but you will get more accuracy assistance out of a longer barrel than a shorter one, for example. And most 6 inch barrel revolvers are longer than most semi autos.

You’re acting like you’ve never shot a revolver before, or coming across that way.

You are also being ridiculous in treating every situation for defense as if they are shootouts or Zombie apocalypse situations. That isn’t common, but of course it can happen.

Here’s how ridiculous you are acting, I could easily call someone an idiot for not using an AR-15 for self defense over a pistol because an AR can hold 30 or more in a clip over 17 or so for a Glock (for example), but of course there’s nothing at all wrong with using a Glock for home protection. And I would be in this thread defending the pistol guys too if the AR guys were acting that way.

This is a preference thing really, and that’s what makes you wrong in this conversation. What an individual is comfortable with. I own a lot of different stuff, in my home I have access to it all if it comes down to some bizarre shootout scenario where I need tons of rounds. But outside of that a revolver is a great option -for me.

Last edited:
My mother has been asking me about a pistol for home defense....she will be 70 next year. I let her try around 10 of my pistols. My lcrx was the one that she felt most comfortable holding and shooting. Would that be ideal for me....probably not. But for her it worked and that's all I care about.

I was making a point for overall defense, including carry situations outside of the home.

And you’re getting even more ridiculous with some of your points. We’ll start with recoil -a 6 inch barrel on a 686 will have less recoil than many polymer 9s which is lighter and can be jumpy in the wrong persons hands. There are steel framed 9’s and so on of course (CZ 75, Beretta..) but let’s not act like they don’t have their recoil too. another point -everyone is different when it comes to firearms and controlling them while shooting. But the balance of a revolver with a 6 inch barrel if it’s made properly cancels out a lot of the things you mention naturally in the shooters hands. The weight of many revolvers (being steel framed for the most part) helps cancel some of this out too.

Trigger pull is different. Some people have better control over a heavy trigger pull on a double action revolver over that of a semi auto. Many people don’t practice/shoot as much as they should and simply own a gun for defense and stick with what’s comfortable to them. So in that case, that individual gun that they’re comfortable with is superior for them to anything else you put in their hands.

The ergonomics comment is hilarious because everyone has a different fit. Some guns feel better in one persons hands than another. Some people are more comfortable with one firearm over another. My -4 7 shot feels nicer in my hands than anything I’ve ever held or own. It’s also by far the hand gun I shoot best with.

Accuracy as some say is mostly in the shooter, but you will get more accuracy assistance out of a longer barrel than a shorter one, for example. And most 6 inch barrel revolvers are longer than most semi autos.

You’re acting like you’ve never shot a revolver before, or coming across that way.

You are also being ridiculous in treating every situation for defense as if they are shootouts or Zombie apocalypse situations. That isn’t common, but of course it can happen.

Here’s how ridiculous you are acting, I could easily call someone an idiot for not using an AR-15 for self defense over a pistol because an AR can hold 30 or more in a clip over 17 or so for a Glock (for example), but of course there’s nothing at all wrong with using a Glock for home protection. And I would be in this thread defending the pistol guys too if the AR guys were acting that way.

This is a preference thing really, and that’s what makes you wrong in this conversation. What an individual is comfortable with. I own a lot of different stuff, in my home I have access to it all if it comes down to some bizarre shootout scenario where I need tons of rounds. But outside of that a revolver is a great option -for me.

Carry situations and your example is a 6" 357? Are you serious? If you are going to compare a sub compact single stack 9mm you should probably compare it to a snub nose revolver. A full size 9mm with +p will not have more snap than a 6" 357 with magnum loads. A sub compact 9 won't snap more than a snub nose 357.

To sum up your post let's go back to my post earlier.

Revolvers are still vastly inferior so it doesn't matter...

The only reason to use one is that you just like them.

Looks like my last sentence summed up your post. The only reason to use it is you just like it.

Look on paper and in practice with equal skill between platforms, etc a semi auto is superior. I'm not calling anyone an idiot. You take a blank slate (TS for example) and train them in both I have no doubt in my mind the semi auto 9 will have more rounds down range accurately than the revolver with 3x more rounds available. Btw when I say accuracy I'm talking from a defensive point, so A zone hits. Not shooting small groups where a 6" with a single action trigger would have the clear advantage.

I'm not being ridiculous at all nor am I calling anyone an idiot. I'm just stating that all things equal semi autos are better in near every way for defensive use.

No that isn't what I'm doing.

If your post said the AR15 is vastly superior to a glock, because it is, that is what I'm doing.

Carry situations and your example is a 6" 357?

No, I am not comparing a 6 inch 357 for carry, that's why those sentences were sperated.

If you are going to compare a sub compact single stack 9mm you should probably compare it to a snub nose revolver. A full size 9mm with +p will not have more snap than a 6" 357 with magnum loads. A sub compact 9 won't snap more than a snub nose 357.

You are wrong about a 6 inch 357 having more 'snap'. It depends on the shooter, and how well the gun itself is made. A 6 inch 357 is typically designed with these characteristics in mind and many higher end models have very little 'snap' when firing them. 6 inch 357 are typically all steel frames and have more weight to absorb the recoil, especially well balanced ones. Compared to shorter barreled polymer 9 mills (most 9 mills are shorter than a 6 inch 357) they can, and many times do, handle better in that area. And lets keep in mind you can load 357s with .38's too which is even more manageable.

And still, a lot of this depends on the shooter themselves.

Again, I'm questioning how much experience with all these firearms you actually have.

Looks like my last sentence summed up your post. The only reason to use it is you just like it.

No it doesn't. You're simply trying to pass your opinon as a fact, which it isn't. there are too many variables, human element included that make this specific discussion more complicated than simply waving everything about a revolver off.

Look on paper and in practice with equal skill be tween platforms, etc a semi auto is superior.

Where are you getting this information from? This is nothing but you making a statement and trying to pass it off as a fact. What variables are we talking about, who's doing the shooting ect. ect. ?

Are you telling me a highly practiced and trained guy like Jerry Miculek can't shoot his revolvers equally well or better than other things he shoots?

You take a blank slate (TS for example) and train them in both I have no doubt in my mind the semi auto 9 will have more rounds down range accurately than the revolver with 3x more rounds available. Btw when I say accuracy I'm talking from a defensive point, so A zone hits. Not shooting small groups where a 6" with a single action trigger would have the clear advantage

This is hogwash. There is no way on Earth for you to know or claim that with equal training any given person can't still be better with a revolver than a semi-auto. And even the 'better' part of the equation breaks down into more than 1 category. Speed? Accuracy.. these are all different things and the results on each can change depending on the situation and the person involved.

Youre also working in the 'more rounds down range' argument which to me bypasses a self defense situation, seems more like combat to me. So what are we talking about here.. combat, or personal defense?

Capacity is pretty much the only actual 'superior' argument you have for semi-auto. After that, the playing field levels and changes. I'll also throw in the fact that a 357 can accept a different variant of ammo (.38) which adds a different element to the performance of the gun that a 9 mill will not also be able to exploit.

I'd argue reliability should be the #1 concern for anyone using a firearm in a defense situation. And with a revolver, you're pretty much guaranteed every shot its loaded with. Semi-autos will have a higher FTF (both failure to fire, and failure to feed) probability than a revolver (typically stemming from mag issues, but there can be other problems too), so right there is one major argument in favor of a revolver over a semi auto for protection.

I'm not being ridiculous at all nor am I calling anyone an idiot. I'm just stating that all things equal semi autos are better in near every way for defensive use.

Yes you are, youre consistently trying to pass off objective opinions onto a subjective argument. And you are consistently trying to pass subjective thoughts on the matter as objective.

If your post said the AR15 is vastly superior to a glock, because it is, that is what I'm doing.

Its exactly what you're doing.

War/Combat, profession (Police), can change a discussion like this based on probability of what they'll face, and whats required of them to be prepared for.

But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about a citizen waking up out of a dead sleep and reaching in his sock drawer because they heard something go bump in the night, or a late night trip to Walmart to grab a gallon of milk. In these common self defense scenarios there is nothing wrong with carrying your preference. One is not superior to the next in those basic scenarios. You can type until your fingers bleed about this all you want, but you are not right about a lot of things you've posted.

The most superior choice in this specific situation (defense) is the gun that suits the individual best. And there are many factors that go into deciding what that is. There isn't just one thing.

Carrying/keeping a revolver over a semi-auto for protection isn't only to be done because 'you like it'. Theres eveidence that suggest they are more reliable, one may be a better shot with it, they are much more simple to operate.. and so on.

I'll conclude this by adding -unlike you, I am not trying to say the revolver is superior to a semi-auto, while you are very clearly trying to claim that a semi-auto is superior to a revolver. We are not having a discussion about controlled environments with highly trained subjects and how they perform with one Vs another. This is a much more organic scenario that includes every variable and level of expertise and novice imaginable. In that theatre of discussion you cannot decide whats going to work better for everyone involved because you cannot remove the human element from this discussion, no matter how much you want to try to. A gun is a tool, and that tool is only as good as the person using it -and different people will see different results with different tools than one another.

No, I am not comparing a 6 inch 357 for carry, that's why those sentences were sperated.

You are wrong about a 6 inch 357 having more 'snap'. It depends on the shooter, and how well the gun itself is made. A 6 inch 357 is typically designed with these characteristics in mind and many higher end models have very little 'snap' when firing them. 6 inch 357 are typically all steel frames and have more weight to absorb the recoil, especially well balanced ones. Compared to shorter barreled polymer 9 mills (most 9 mills are shorter than a 6 inch 357) they can, and many times do, handle better in that area. And lets keep in mind you can load 357s with .38's too which is even more manageable.

And still, a lot of this depends on the shooter themselves.

Again, I'm questioning how much experience with all these firearms you actually have.

No it doesn't. You're simply trying to pass your opinon as a fact, which it isn't. there are too many variables, human element included that make this specific discussion more complicated than simply waving everything about a revolver off.

Where are you getting this information from? This is nothing but you making a statement and trying to pass it off as a fact. What variables are we talking about, who's doing the shooting ect. ect. ?

Are you telling me a highly practiced and trained guy like Jerry Miculek can't shoot his revolvers equally well or better than other things he shoots?

This is hogwash. There is no way on Earth for you to know or claim that with equal training any given person can't still be better with a revolver than a semi-auto. And even the 'better' part of the equation breaks down into more than 1 category. Speed? Accuracy.. these are all different things and the results on each can change depending on the situation and the person involved.

Youre also working in the 'more rounds down range' argument which to me bypasses a self defense situation, seems more like combat to me. So what are we talking about here.. combat, or personal defense?

Capacity is pretty much the only actual 'superior' argument you have for semi-auto. After that, the playing field levels and changes. I'll also throw in the fact that a 357 can accept a different variant of ammo (.38) which adds a different element to the performance of the gun that a 9 mill will not also be able to exploit.

I'd argue reliability should be the #1 concern for anyone using a firearm in a defense situation. And with a revolver, you're pretty much guaranteed every shot its loaded with. Semi-autos will have a higher FTF (both failure to fire, and failure to feed) probability than a revolver (typically stemming from mag issues, but there can be other problems too), so right there is one major argument in favor of a revolver over a semi auto for protection.

Yes you are, youre consistently trying to pass off objective opinions onto a subjective argument. And you are consistently trying to pass subjective thoughts on the matter as objective.

Its exactly what you're doing.

War/Combat, profession (Police), can change a discussion like this based on probability of what they'll face, and whats required of them to be prepared for.

But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about a citizen waking up out of a dead sleep and reaching in his sock drawer because they heard something go bump in the night, or a late night trip to Walmart to grab a gallon of milk. In these common self defense scenarios there is nothing wrong with carrying your preference. One is not superior to the next in those basic scenarios. You can type until your fingers bleed about this all you want, but you are not right about a lot of things you've posted.

The most superior choice in this specific situation (defense) is the gun that suits the individual best. And there are many factors that go into deciding what that is. There isn't just one thing.

Carrying/keeping a revolver over a semi-auto for protection isn't only to be done because 'you like it'. Theres eveidence that suggest they are more reliable, one may be a better shot with it, they are much more simple to operate.. and so on.

I'll conclude this by adding -unlike you, I am not trying to say the revolver is superior to a semi-auto, while you are very clearly trying to claim that a semi-auto is superior to a revolver. We are not having a discussion about controlled environments with highly trained subjects and how they perform with one Vs another. This is a much more organic scenario that includes every variable and level of expertise and novice imaginable. In that theatre of discussion you cannot decide whats going to work better for everyone involved because you cannot remove the human element from this discussion, no matter how much you want to try to. A gun is a tool, and that tool is only as good as the person using it -and different people will see different results with different tools than one another.

Carry situations and your example is a 6" 357? Are you serious? If you are going to compare a sub compact single stack 9mm you should probably compare it to a snub nose revolver. A full size 9mm with +p will not have more snap than a 6" 357 with magnum loads. A sub compact 9 won't snap more than a snub nose 357.

To sum up your post let's go back to my post earlier.

Look on paper and in practice with equal skill between platforms, etc a semi auto is superior. I'm not calling anyone an idiot. You take a blank slate (TS for example) and train them in both I have no doubt in my mind the semi auto 9 will have more rounds down range accurately than the revolver with 3x more rounds available. Btw when I say accuracy I'm talking from a defensive point, so A zone hits. Not shooting small groups where a 6" with a single action trigger would have the clear advantage.

<{dayum}>

These were fun reads, thanks.

<20>

"I was making a point for overall defense, including carry situations outside of the home."

So earlier you referenced single stack sub compact 9mm and then proceed to talk about a 6" 357 when rebuttaling my points talking about the recoil and muzzle flash of a 4" barrel 357 compared to a full or duty sized glock. So sounds like you are comparing apples to oranges.

I've fired 10's of thousands of rounds. I don't own revolvers but have shot many numerous times.

A 357 with real magnum loads have recoil. If you have a ported barrel or put some soft loads or 38 it's a different story. You referenced the superior ballistics so I've been talking about magnum loads. Speaking of ballistics a 6" 357 can have issues with over penetration. Anyway the recoil isn't soft when compared to similarly sized 9mm.

If you want to talk about soft shooting, my CZ TSO 9mm shoots incredibly soft and very flat.

38B9LgF.jpg

I don't think we have the same understanding of the phrase defensive shooting.

Have you ever watched self defense shootings? Have you ever taken a defensive handgun course?

Do you think in a self defense shooting it only involves firing 1 round at a static target? I don't know about you but I'm firing as many accurately placed shots as possible as fast as possible. Not only that but there may be more than one threat and they could be moving while trying to engage that threat.

By better I mean running defensive drills and getting accurate hits(A zone for example) faster. The goal in combat or personal defense is to stop the threat as fast as possible. If you watch shootings people regularly take many rounds before going down.

Capacity is pretty much the only actual 'superior' argument you have for semi-auto. After that, the playing field levels and changes. I'll also throw in the fact that a 357 can accept a different variant of ammo (.38) which adds a different element to the performance of the gun that a 9 mill will not also be able to exploit

By the specs and design.

Capacity is a massive benefit. But again low bore axis (control, shooting flat), weight, weapon light, etc. By design and a proper grip you have more leverage over the gun and the recoil is more inline with your wrist. Combine that with a less powerful round in a similarly sized gun it will have less recoil, shoot flatter and have 3x more capacity. I consider that to be superior.

True revolvers are more reliable. However if a revolver malfunctions it is usually not fixed quickly. Also quality semi auto guns now, malfunctions are pretty rare as well. But reliability is why I used the word nearly in my previous posts.

You know what everyone should want for a bump in the night? A platform with a weapon light that could take on 1-3 people that may or may not be armed themselves. A weapon light also reduces muzzle flip further while properly identifying your target and what may be around it.

At no time did I say the was anything wrong with carrying one or the other. I just think one platform is superior for many reasons.

This thread has gone down a deep hole lol. Good points made by various posters but as for the OP’s original question:

A good home defence handgun is one that is reliable, well maintained and you are comfortable and confident using.
Try as many models as you can to find one that suits you.

In general the usual calibers are popular for a reason - 9mm/.38/.357/.40 etc but if you can shoot better with a .380 or a .32 then that’s ok. Accuracy is important.
(The quality and variety of modern ammunition can help compensate for a lack of “punch” with smaller calibers).
Revolvers are more reliable but are limited in terms of capacity.

Better yet get a pump action shotgun with a tac light attached. Nothing beats a 12g for home defence.

An AR with an SBA3 brace counts since it’s classified as a handgun. :cool:

Buy +P ammo for the .38 you have. Practice with it. It will be more expensive than target ball ammo; but if your serious about protection.You want to be as accurate as possible and use expansive rounds. (Especially for indoors)
Speer Gold Dot and Cor-Bon Powerball would highly recommend.

Also rent and fire a model of the gun at a range you are looking at purchasing.
I would lean Sig Sauer of the options given looking about 950-1200

Or 1911 .45 from a reputable manufacturer.(Not Cheap) 1000-2500+

Back