Whats a decent pistol for home defense?

@breadfighter

You need somewhere to securely store a gun of any type. If you have no kids, leaving one readily available when you're home is your preference but when your not there it needs to be secured somewhere. Hidden is not secure.

@breadfighter
Agreed on this. If you have kids the guns MUST be locked away. We left our shotgun out all the time before we had our daughter but now they are both in a safe. The revolver is in a push button gun safe by the bedside that is quick to open and the shotgun is in a more secure safe.

We have two dogs so we think that will give us plenty of time to get to the gun if needed.

I'm looking to get a Gun soon myself. FWIW, I'm leaning towards a 9mm myself. Bigger than a 22 but easier to handle than a .38. Or so I'm told. I don't know much about handguns.

Idiot proof and extremely reliable. Good for me.

26498_1.jpg

What is it specifically? What's "air weight"? Is it super light weight? Legit curious. I'm in the market too.

Every projectile goes through drywall. The "low penetration" rounds also have low penetration into people.

Shotguns are difficult for smaller people: women/children as the OP dictated. Recoil, noise, etc. slow follow up shots.

Take a look at the carbine for women. In heads up comparison the carbine wins every time.

9mm has the exact same penetration problem you described above.

Go with carbine. It is more accurate than a handgun and thus less likely to go into a neighbor, etc.

I didn't say drywall. I said sheetrock and drywall.

9mm self defense rounds lose a LOT of their kinetic energy after hitting sheetrock and drywall, and likely will not pass totally through a body. Nothing is entirely safe in close quarters , accuracy will be appreciated by family and neighbors with a 9mm.

Shotguns obviously have different ballistic properties than a self defense bullet/round. Because of those properties they WILL penetrate about 4 sheets of drywall and sheetrock. The low penetration rounds I was speaking of belonged to the shotgun class, not 9mm. They just have less powder behind them.

What is it specifically? What's "air weight"? Is it super light weight? Legit curious. I'm in the market too.

Its really a gun designed for concealment. Its aluminum alloy so really light. That part is not important for home defense but the short barrel and no hammer are IMO because you are not likely to shoot yourself with it and a short barrel is good for up close fighting likely in a home situation. Its a Smith and Wesson 38 special hammer-less.

I have a S&W Shield 9mm because I have smallish hands. @HI SCOTT NEWMAN

rwgrer.png
Nice. I have a carry and conceal license, have 2 different guns but happily can say never had to use them :) just for home protection. I'm not interested in hunting or anything like that, I couldn't do it.. my heart wouldn't pull the trigger haha. I love fishing but even with that I always put the fish back.

I didn't say drywall. I said sheetrock and drywall.

9mm self defense rounds lose a LOT of their kinetic energy after hitting sheetrock and drywall, and likely will not pass totally through a body. Nothing is entirely safe in close quarters , accuracy will be appreciated by family and neighbors with a 9mm.

Shotguns obviously have different ballistic properties than a self defense bullet/round. Because of those properties they WILL penetrate about 4 sheets of drywall and sheetrock. The low penetration rounds I was speaking of belonged to the shotgun class, not 9mm. They just have less powder behind them.

Here are actual tests and comparisons for shotguns and pistols vs dry wall
Shotgun rounds
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-3-the-shotgun-meets-the-box-o-truth/

Pistol rounds
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-1-the-original-box-o-truth/

Y’all recommending a .22 for self defense are killing me. But not in a literal way, because it’s a .22
That’s a round you use for hunting squirrels and rabbits.

My vote is a pump or semi auto 20 gauge. Buckshot loads.
Only drawback is you're gonna l9se street cred not being able to hold it sideways when you shoot.
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/sta...trols-matte-black-finish/FC-854581007220.html

I remember someone saying there isn't a person on earth who won't shit their pants at the sound of a 12 gauge pump being cocked. Cant be much different for a semi auto, but it's gonna have some kick

I agree with a shotgun, but honestly people, don't get a pistol grip only (PGO) shotgun. You want the stock to help stabilize and aim. Have you ever seen a woman shoot a regular shotgun? How about a 15 year old girl trying to hold a pistol grip only ?? They'll practically sprain their wrists or drop the damn thing.

If you are a man or someone who shoots a lot and understands how to brace it then maybe consider it, but there is no downside to a full stock really. It will help your aim, help the recoil, and improve accuracy of your followup shots.

Only if you want to kill the intruders,your family in adjacent rooms, and maybe a neighbor or two as well.

TS, If you opt for the shotgun, ensure you get shells that have low penetration (IE not 00 buck or slugs) as a shotgun is a rifle sub 50 yards. They make special rounds that aren't likely to gp through sheet rock and drywall.

I'd go with a 9mm with some decent self defense rounds. Glocks are a little rough for new gun owners just due to the lack of safety features. S&W has some good deals on the Shield right now, 200 bucks after rebate, probably about 235 all in with shipping and FFL transfer at Palmetto State Armory.

Lots of options for your intended purposes.

If the round won't go through a sheetrock wall it might not go through an intruder wearing a winter coat or a leather coat. Unfortunately low penetration rounds may not do the job. The best advice is to be very careful of what's behind the target. But I 100% get your point. Every round that exits your gun is your responsibiliy. If you live in dense housing for example with neighbors in a condo or apartment you need to be aware of that fact.

Y’all recommending a .22 for self defense are killing me. But not in a literal way, because it’s a .22
That’s a round you use for hunting squirrels and rabbits.
no way, brah, the .22 round stays inside the skull and scales the brain into jelly.

I agree with a shotgun, but honestly people, don't get a pistol grip only (PGO) shotgun. You want the stock to help stabilize and aim. Have you ever seen a woman shoot a regular shotgun? How about a 15 year old girl trying to hold a pistol grip only ?? They'll practically sprain their wrists or drop the damn thing.

If you are a man or someone who shoots a lot and understands how to brace it then maybe consider it, but there is no downside to a full stock really. It will help your aim, help the recoil, and improve accuracy of your followup shots.

LOL - There is obviously so much wrong with what he is saying in that video. "You don't need 3 rounds to protect yourself"? lol - An AR15 is harder to shoot??
"Real life aint like the movies...in real life you miss...you miss all the fuckin' time." - Bill Burr

10-22 with a helfire and a big clip will mess up some home intruders and not kick out of a 15yr old girls hands
I’ve owned two 10-22s. Seen hundreds of them at shooting matches. Never seen one run anything resembling the word “reliable”. 22s are dirty and lack the power to cycle semi autos reliably. The last thing you want is to point a gun at a bad guy and pull the trigger and get a click instead of a bang.

If your going to get one gun and it’s strictly for home defense, spend the money and get a reliable 9mm. Budget guns don’t save you thay much, especially once you factor in resale value of you ever tried to sell it.
You can get Gen 3 or 4 Glock 17/19s for pretty cheap these days. Or any of the copies (XD, P10c, M&P etc). Saving a few bucks isn’t worth it when it comes to something you may end up betting your life on that it’s going to work when you need it to.

I’ve owned two 10-22s. Seen hundreds of them at shooting matches. Never seen one run anything resembling the word “reliable”. 22s are dirty and lack the power to cycle semi autos reliably. The last thing you want is to point a gun at a bad guy and pull the trigger and get a click instead of a bang.
I’ve onwed a bunch my whole life, never had a problem and it’s what I used fucking off in the woods as a young kid growing up mostly , that or my .410 squirrel killer

None of my friends had issues either. My experience is not the same as yours.

Back