Whats a decent pistol for home defense?

growing up in one of the most criminal neighbouhoods in saint petersburg russia,then about 6 years as a criminal myself plus 2 years as a bouncer.

not bragging because its nothing to brag about, just answering your question
so you actually witnessed that many incidents to make a reasonable decision that an axe is scarier than a gun? but russians are dumb, so i can see that thought process. "oh iz only 9mm i won't feel it through vodka induced stupor, but axe...now that will cut right through the vodka"

i follow active self protection where they gather video from al over the world of violence to educate people on how violence occurs, and nearly every video involving a defender with a gun, the bad guy either flees as quickly as possible or is shot and incapacitated...and off the top of my head i can't recall one with a defender using an axe...i've seen one with a lady using a flip flop vs a machete on there once though...flip flop won lol.

so you actually witnessed that many incidents to make a reasonable decision that an axe is scarier than a gun? but russians are dumb, so i can see that thought process. "oh iz only 9mm i won't feel it through vodka induced stupor, but axe...now that will cut right through the vodka"

i follow active self protection where they gather video from al over the world of violence to educate people on how violence occurs, and nearly every video involving a defender with a gun, the bad guy either flees as quickly as possible or is shot and incapacitated...and off the top of my head i can't recall one with a defender using an axe...i've seen one with a lady using a flip flop vs a machete on there once though...flip flop won lol.

you also have to realize this thread started in mayberry so i wasnt that serious when talking about this.

of course a gun is more effective than axe

but i have never seen anyone rush against an axe, i have seen people not care about a gun thats my point

hilariously a bulgarian guy who worked with me in construction and was in prison there said the same thing about an axe lol

i've seen so much bad advice here lol.
1. smaller people aren't the best at handling a 10-14 gauge shotgun.
2. any thing that will reliably stop a person will penetrate the walls of that standard american or european home.

an SBR in a pistol caliber would be the best failing that an AR pistol or SMG style pistol with a brace attached. the pistol caliber round combined with the weight of the larger weapon will make felt recoil nearly nothing, have 3+ points of contact will make it easier to steady and aim, longer barrel will help with accuracy, and a self defense pistol round will do just fine at stopping a person.

you also have to realize this thread started in mayberry so i wasnt that serious when talking about this.

of course a gun is more effective than axe

but i have never seen anyone rush against an axe, i have seen people not care about a gun thats my point
shit i'd rush an axe closer to the person wielding it the safer you are from the part that really hurts you lol. hand gun you can still get shot in the clinch. guess people who'd run from an ax, but not a gun aren't the brightest regardless.

shit i'd rush an axe closer to the person wielding it the safer you are from the part that really hurts you lol. hand gun you can still get shot in the clinch. guess people who'd run from an ax, but not a gun aren't the brightest regardless.

heres a bit of example about guns in russia

at 1:25 dude comes up with an ak and nobody cares that much

at 2 40 guy pulls out a gun and threatens to shoot the activist but again nobody cares

and these are normal young college people not the crazies who break down doors.

guns dont have that much intimidation factor there.

best bart is the guy with ak actually reloding it when walking up lmao

heres a bit of example about guns in russia

at 1:25 dude comes up with an ak and nobody cares that much

at 2 40 guy pulls out a gun and threatens to shoot the activist but again nobody cares

and these are normal young college people not the crazies who break down doors.

guns dont have that much intimidation factor there.

best bart is the guy with ak actually reloding it when walking up lmao

to me guns aren't about intimidation, they're about effectiveness. if you're pulling a gun just to intimidate people, you shouldn't be pulling a gun.

to me guns aren't about intimidation, they're about effectiveness. if you're pulling a gun just to intimidate people, you shouldn't be pulling a gun.

Of course

I was just showing my point about people not caring that much about them

I agree with eveything you say btw

If guy with axe will not initially attempt chop head but legs at first & arms and after this will go for head?

Also this is Russia and average male knows more about h2h than average westerner male.

If guy with axe will not initially attempt chop head but legs at first & arms and after this will go for head?

Also this is Russia and average male knows more about h2h than average westerner male.

Nah its mentality thing ,not combat ability

Life in russia sucks for average guy.

So you got average citizens who act like they got nothing to lose(and usually they really dont have much to lose)hence the ability to not care about these things

But this is off topic

For example they have mandatory military service, so they have more % of population that are taught how to use guns and a bit how to punch etc.

Average military conscript doesnt do that much anything useful.

Guy i knew didnt do anything for a year except clean and build houses for officers

Anyway the myth of russian hand to hand ability comes from the 90s where being a criminal was considered a normal occupation and murder rate was at a ridiculous level so people had to be tough (my moms class in school had 14 boys, 10 of them were dead and the rest 4 were in prison before age of thirty)

Nowadays its not like that, russia is a very big place and there are very big differences in culture depending on where people live.

For example people from saint petersburg moscow,kazan are pretty much like westeners really nowadays

But further you go from these cities into small towns and villages then yes people get a bit meaner

Why do you recommend a .22? For the small hands?

Everyone else I hear says don't get a .22, not good enough for self defense.
Because of the 15 year old female. My gf doesn't even like to shoot a .380 and she's in her 30s. I suggest a revolver because they are reliable. .22 also isn't the best round for a pistol because it has a rim like a revolver round.

It depends on the female though. If she can handle a 9mm I'd get that. Dont get a .380. In my experience they all have cycling issues even my SiG.

Last edited:
Because of the 15 year old female. My gf doesn't even like to shoot a .380 and she's in her 30s. I suggest a revolver because they are reliable. .22 also isn't the best round for a pistol because it has a rim like a revolver round.

It depends on the female though. If she can handle a 9mm I'd get that. Dont get a .380. In my experience they all have cycling issues even my SiG.
That's what I figured.
Last year when I was considering my first purchase, I heard the .22 get shot down by anyone I asked.

I was looking to plink as a hobby, with the side benefit of self defense after car jackings and burgling took a rise around here, and I have smallish hands, and am poor as fuck.

Ended up going the poor mans route and bought the ultimate scrub gun, the Hi-Point c9.

I know gun people hate them, but after researching online a bunch about their durability and functionality, it was the right choice for me, because

1) as a gun noob, I don't know what I'm missing versus a more comfortable pistol
2) for 138$ new, it fit my price point. Even jumping up to the 200$ range would be a challenge
3) because of number 2, it was this or nothing. Figured a crappy gun is better protection than no gun

Overall, I'm quite pleased. Spent $10 bucks on a lockable case, so I was out the door for 150.

I immediately watched youtube videos on how to tweek the magazine spring and lips to fix the feeding issue that the cheap magazines cause, and then put 200 brass rds thru it at the range without a single failure. For curiosities sake, I then put 200 shitty steel rds through it, as these are the rds that frequently jam up in youtube vids. It also handled those, with the only issue being when first cocking after magazine insertion, slide would stick back to where I'd have to manually force it forward or smack the back of slide to feed the first rd. Still fired all 8 rds flawlessly every time though.

In total, I've put 600 rds through it now, so it's considered "broken in" according to the manual, and I have no complaints.

It shoots accurate, as far as an amateur can tell, I'm able to group shots in 2-6 inch circles. It's heavy, they say, but again, I don't notice it as I have nothing to compare it too, and it doesn't look as cool as big name pistols, but I'm confident that it fires every time, so fuck it.

Can't wait for warm weather so I can go out and shoot it again.

Mas Ayoob is a big proponent of the Hi-Point pistols. The slides are heavy, but it goes bang every time, is reasonably accurate, certainly enough for home defense, decent capacity, and priced affordably.
I wouldn't want to carry one, but for the home, yeah, a perfectly acceptable choice. And for under $140, you were able to afford ammo and break it in, and practice with it. You could buy 2 more and still not have spent what you would have on 1 new (S&W, Glock, XD, etc).
:cool:

Mas Ayoob is a big proponent of the Hi-Point pistols. The slides are heavy, but it goes bang every time, is reasonably accurate, certainly enough for home defense, decent capacity, and priced affordably.
I wouldn't want to carry one, but for the home, yeah, a perfectly acceptable choice. And for under $140, you were able to afford ammo and break it in, and practice with it. You could buy 2 more and still not have spent what you would have on 1 new (S&W, Glock, XD, etc).
Good enough to defend my precious TP stash at the very least, or go pillaging for more in the ransacked future scape in a few weeks.

<Eek2.0>

And if run out of ammo or it jams . You beat them with it lol hi points are heavy . But you’re right hi points work and cheap

I would go for a 38 special revolver. 4 inch barrel. No safety to fool with in the heat of the moment. No rack to slide. Just pull the trigger. Small recoil.

Double action revolvers require a committed pull compared to a semi auto. This will minimize accidental firing in an intense situation.

Back