Opinion What's Dan Crenshaw's deal with David Goggins?

GolovKing

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This the second time I've heard him speak about David Goggins and it seems like he some personal issue with him. The first time was on Rogan's podcast where Joe was bringing him up and Dan basically said something like he didn't know David Goggins which seemed a little dismissive but wasn't a big deal. Then here he is putting David Goggins down saying what he does isn't "SEAL like". Wtf does that even mean? Being a motivational fitness guy isn't "SEAL like" but being a suit and tie wearing politician is? He also questions David Goggins resume saying he isn't known for any deployments, and also questions David Goggin's toughness, saying that a guy who gets shot and walks away is tougher than Goggins. That may or may not be true but why even bring it up?

Goggins is a fraud, Jocko Willink who was a real SEAL commander slighted him by saying he doesn’t like harping on BUDS stories because the deployments are what mattered. But Jocko isn’t innocent either because these guys used their SEAL background for fame and money

Crenshaw is blowhard, he was promoted as being something he's not. He's the typical politician goes to Washington and turns into Washington.
Goggins is a weird cat but he's an animal, Crenshaw is just a big mouth.

Don't know much about the history between them, but even according to Goggins, his relationship with the military guys are hot and cold. Some love him, some hate him.

From what I can gather Goggins wasn’t a “Team guy”. His deep inner personal desire and motivation didn’t mesh very well with other seals.

Fractures in the SEAL cult?? Heaven forbid!

Also remember Crenshaw is a guy who totally dismissed fellow combat vets who once attempted to express their concerns over Trump to him in the congressional hallway.

Fractures in the SEAL cult?? Heaven forbid!

Also remember Crenshaw is a guy who totally dismissed fellow combat vets who once attempted to express their concerns over Trump to him in the congressional hallway.

that pussy in that video isn't a seal, Crenshaw did well there

I imagine the Alpha male dynamic within the teams combined with a certain pack mentality can make it difficult for those that are more inclined to be internally focused.

Eh like Jessie Ventura probably doesn’t like the glamorization of it all. Don’t think it’s a bad thing it’s not like he hates him

One guy talking about another guy subjectively.
This.

It feels like the SEAL teams have a lot of internal annoyance with each other that spills into the public sphere which is what draws the ire of the other Special teams like Rangers, Delta, and even the Marine Raiders. There's a reason Rangers joke that SEALs become SEALs in order to sell books.

I like Goggins and his messages. I get he is un Seal like in his language (a lot of swearing and bluntness) and how he can be defensive. But to question his toughness... that's fucking insane. He's one of the toughest mother fuckers alive... period!

I've read Goggins's book and have listened to (and met) Jocko for years. Not much on Crenshaw besides his appearances on JRE and Jocko's podcast.

From what I can gather, Goggins is introverted and antisocial. I'm not saying this disparagingly and I think he would agree on that description. The overwhelming majority of his public image including Jesse Itzler's book Living With a SEAL and other sources are all about the SELF. Mental toughness, running ultra marathons, etc.

There's nothing wrong with that, but combined with his self-professed desire NOT to hang out and get beers with other team guys, his becoming a recruiter for the SEALs and literally getting paid to run marathons and talk about mental toughness instead of deploying overseas and his obsession with doing hard things just for their own sake (he went through 2 or 3 hell weeks, completed Ranger school and tried out for DEVGRU and Delta Force) makes it seem, to me at least, like he is more interested in collecting "merit badges" than actually fighting wars, killing bad guys and breaking their stuff. Least of all anything related to working with others, leadership or team concepts.

The combination of all these things is what I believe leads others in the SEAL world to not like Goggins very much.

Other SEAL's don't like Goggin's cuz he joined the Navy literally just to exercise lol... didnt give a shit about anything else
You're not wrong. His motivation for joining the SEALs was getting out of the rut in life that he had found himself. Not many people realize that Goggins joined the SEALs as a Navy reservist.

You're not wrong. His motivation for joining the SEALs was getting out of the rut in life that he had found himself. Not many people realize that Goggins joined the SEALs as a Navy reservist.

Yeah think I remember him saying he needed to be around alpha male energy its just weird that he would be so antisocial while he was there. You'd think he'd want to make friends with these people who he finds motivation from. Makes him seem a little bit on the selfish side.

Back