What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the bounce is something that is weirdly misunderstood in kb/muay thai. There's obv a cadence and rhythm that gets used but I admit I'm still lost on the priority of how to use it. It makes footwork so much easier to perform but should one always have a bit of a bounce? Should it vary between standing and bouncing? Should it be more subtle most of the time? And obviously when you're in a prime position to tee off you want to sit down.

By my experience, it's just a tool. It should be used when it works. When it ceases to work, put it away.

The opponent of Utah Transplant was way outmatched. Your man swarmed him & he got rocked 'cause he couldn't handle the close in exchange. From the outset then, the match was decided.

When the opponent threw that fateful left whatever... he had basically committed all the typical boxer sins[1].. hence was open to being destroyed.

The punch your man threw was so perfect it surprised me. Can't drop one's discipline for a second against that. Program works.

EDIT: And uh, a disciplined striker could have readily finished your Transplant beforehand. Yeah OK.

[1] For argument sake.

Last edited:
For those of you in the U.K., my Norwegian Alexander Hagen is fighting on Boxing Social on Saturday

This is where the livestream will be:

Sorry for the mishap with Hagen's fight. There was kind of a huge incident between rival promotions and the entire card ended up getting scrapped the day of. Quite the shitty situation. Also, Alex Martinssen lost at the European Championships. However we're still glad he made it to the World Level in such a short amount of time. He may still get selected by the Scandinavian boxing governing body to attend the World Championships, from there it's a possible Olympic appearance.

Speaking of Olympics, one of the karate students I work with (Trinity Allen) won Gold at the U.S. Team Trials. She has one more tournament to place in and she'll be going to Tokyo also.

Trin is wearing the shorts.

Last edited:
Here's me getting my Saturday crew on some blast-off burpees. I told my Son and the 9 year-old kid they could do regular burpees, but my Son wanted to do what everyone else was doing. He did 31 total:

Sorry for the mishap with Hagen's fight. There was kind of a huge incident between rival promotions and the entire card ended up getting scrapped the day of. Quite the shitty situation. Also, Alex Martinssen lost at the European Championships. However we're still glad he made it to the World Level in such a short amount of time. He may still get selected by the Scandinavian boxing governing body to attend the World Championships, from there it's a possible Olympic appearance.

Speaking of Olympics, one of the karate students I work with (Trinity Allen) won Gold at the U.S. Team Trials. She has one more tournament to place in and she'll be going to Tokyo also.

Trin is wearing the shorts.

What was loco working on? It looked to me like they were working on developing the ability to stay in front of the opponent without being hit and being able to counter from there as well? Is that drill mostly free form give and take or no?

Rhythm and timing. After they do the attack, turn, they go into 1 to 1 countering. It has a few different functions, but the object definitely isn't to just stand in front. They just end up doing that when they first learn that

Rhythm and timing. After they do the attack, turn, they go into 1 to 1 countering. It has a few different functions, but the object definitely isn't to just stand in front. They just end up doing that when they first learn that
What about your step ladder drill. Is that pretty common now? When I was in the USA we often used the step ladder but it was mostly just football like stepping drills.
Here in China I have been training with some guys from the government sponsored team (so that soviet style I guess) and we do a copy of the drill you do almost exactly with the focus at least for me being on the rhythm between steps.

My heavyweight from tonight:

What about your step ladder drill. Is that pretty common now? When I was in the USA we often used the step ladder but it was mostly just football like stepping drills.
Here in China I have been training with some guys from the government sponsored team (so that soviet style I guess) and we do a copy of the drill you do almost exactly with the focus at least for me being on the rhythm between steps.

No, most people use the ladders football style as well. I was under the impression that the Chinese hired Cuban instructors.

My heavyweight from tonight:

Good stuff he is quite agile for being so big. That right hook was on point.

It’s funny as I was rereading the positioning thread and then you got this fight.boss man managed to stay in front of him and dominate that area pivot out of the way of attacks and not go to far or close, and still blast him with shots.

No, most people use the ladders football style as well. I was under the impression that the Chinese hired Cuban instructors.
Yes, I am having a hard time trying to figure out who they were though. I was looking through some photos a buddy of mine had from when he was at the sports university. They had photos of the Cuban trainers working with zhang zhilei. Thing is they pretty much say they are the foreign trainer and use a Chinese name. Which is a pain in the ass trying to pin down who they were exactly. But there are also some important Chinese trainers who I still need to learn more about too.

Not doubting your guy's skills but should he really fight at HW? He looks small and pudgy.

I'm not sure how to answer this...aside from that he's definitely not as pudgy as it may seem and his opponent was a chiseled 255 and got his ass kicked.

With the drill that the guys are doing here, it's taking in turns to throw one shot with proper extension but the power low, defending and countering in the pocket, and they're not aiming at each other's heads? as guy with blue gloves seems to be punching towards the other one's shoulders; do you ask them to pull their punches before it lands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back