What's next for Yoel Romero?

TheBrownRanger

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
With the LHW tournament proceeding and whatever fuckery Rumble got himself into, what should be next for Romero?

Light-Heavyweight - I'd personally like to see Romero fight Manhoef. Both are violent as fuck, fresh match-up, and are older fighters. For the people wanting some "build-up" fight for Romero, there ya go.

Of course, the obvious answer is Machida rematch (given this forum's weird obsession with rematches from 5+ years ago in Bellator) but I really don't care to see it tbh. Alessio Sakara or Julias Anglickas in an alternate bout is also possible.

Middleweight - 185 is dogshit in Bellator, but there's some interesting fights here for Romero. Having Romero vs Larkin for title eliminator is very likely. Same thing with Anatoly Tokov, but Larkin would draw far more interest. If you want a build-up, there's Charlie Ward, I guess.

Yoel vs Rumble if Rumble doesnt become champion, otherwise, Yoel vs McGeary or Carvalho.

Yoel vs the loser of Rumble/Nemkov if he's cleared to fight again. I hope he's cleared but not super optimistic.

He has to get cleared first. If he can then I'd say if Rumble loses to Nemkov you make the Rumble/Romero fight like they planned.

If thats off the table then yeah I'd probably say go back to MW since you arent in the LHW GP anymore so go fight whoever at 185. He needs a win before he'd get a title shot.

Either Salter or Tokov is gonna be next, he could fight one. Really hard to say cause nobody knows if he's gonna be able to fight again or when.

I think he might be in an uphill battle with his eye condition getting licensed by a AC's. Let's not forget this on Indian grounds and there commission usually has always been much more relaxed than State AC's.

Many don't know this but when you turn 40 most AC's require a shit ton more documents/check ups than when your under 40. I won't doubt it if this was also part of the reason for his UFC release. My guess is for him to fight with his eye condition there may only be a few AC's that he could slip it by on and maybe none now that its public knowledge.

I think he might be in an uphill battle with his eye condition getting licensed by a AC's. Let's not forget this on Indian grounds and there commission usually has always been much more relaxed than State AC's.

Many don't know this but when you turn 40 most AC's require a shit ton more documents/check ups than when your under 40. I won't doubt it if this was also part of the reason for his UFC release. My guess is for him to fight with his eye condition there may only be a few AC's that he could slip it by on and maybe none now that its public knowledge.
So what you are saying is that Yoel fights Rumble in Japan

Retirement. His eye issue sounds like it could be brain damage. It may be that time
I agree. He achieved a lot in the sport, no need to get damaged more chasing a belt that is out of his reach.

I really want Yoel to compete in ONE or PFL.

I just want to see Yoel vs Rumble or someone with KO power at lhw.

Back