What's the 7 saddest songs on this poll?

What's your picks?

• Total voters
Mad World is a Tears for Fears song. Nothing Compares 2 U is a Prince song. Hallelujah is a Leonard Cohen song. Hell, Jeff Buckley's cover is basically a cover of a cover since it's based on the Jeff Cole version. While credit should always go to the original artists, I'd say the cover versions of ALL of these songs are sadder than the original, and in many cases are more epic, dynamic, whatever you want to call it. There's a reason why the cover versions are much more remembered. Hell, when Trent Reznor heard Johnny Cash's cover, he realized it wasn't his song anymore.
2e7b023a87f2fe1bfaf595822c0223ae.jpg

This - if you've lost a parent or they are older and at some point you'll have to deal with it.

Kiss me goodnight and say my prayers
Leave the light on at the top of the stairs
Tell me the names of the stars up in the sky
A tree taps on the window pane
That feeling smothers me again
Daddy, is it true that we all have to die?

At the top of the stairs
Is darkness
At the top of the stairs
Is darkness

I closed my eyes and when I looked
Your name was in the memorial book
And what had become of all the things we planned?
I accept the commiserations
Of all your friends and your relations
But there's some things I still don't understand

You were so tall
How could you fall?

Some photographs of a summer's day
A little boy's lifetime away
Is all I've left of everything we've done
Like a pale moon in a sunny sky
Death gazes down as I pass by
To remind me that I'm but my father's son

I offer up to you
This tribute
I offer up to you
This tank park salute

Oh fuck no. That's really sad. It was only a small museum but I really enjoyed it, and that chair is legendary, what a shame.
Do you know why it burned down? As in arson or an accident.
I couldn’t remember I had to look it up. Apparently an accident during a renovation

Hurt and Tears of Heaven off this list.
Honorable mention to Warren Zevon, also Pearl Jam for the "Last Kiss"

Cash because of the way he sings it and Clapton because of the content are a clear 1 and 2 for me.

a lot of the other ones are sad or somber but those two stand out to me.

Living Years is a very poignant one though. Really hits on that Cats in the Cradle type vibe- make the most of the time you have with a loved one while you can.

My Grandfather was a huge Johnny Cash fan so I always think about him when I hear that version of Hurt.

My vote goes to Clapton. Though outside of that list my vote would be Elliot Smith, especially when the song is about his partners alcoholism, whom eventually stabbed him to death.

Ellliott Smith was awesome. His partner didn't stab him though. He stabbed himself.

tears in heaven, cuz its about his real son who died

"Tears in Heaven" for the circumstances behind it, "Hurt" for the video and interpretation of the original. "Adam's Song" is a strong, strong contender. That line, "Please tell mom this is not her fault"...

I can't believe "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor isn't on the poll. It's more famous and sadder than all but a couple on the list. An absolutely beautiful, emotional song.

There is a song by Phish (yes, Phish) called "Brian and Robert" that is about a person living in a city while having crippling social anxiety/phobia. It's kind of brutal.

"Hope" by Sandy(Alex G) is a tough one for me as I've lost close friends and family to opiod overdoses. Along those same lines is "Nutshell" by Alice in Chains. The unplugged version is like listening to someone perform at their own funeral.

I always thought "Space Oddity" was depressing/disturbing/sad.

Last edited:
Those songs aren't particularly sad other than REM, which is a little to on the nose.

And this Russian song is lyrically similar to "somewhere over the rainbow".

Last edited:
Ellliott Smith was awesome. His partner didn't stab him though. He stabbed himself.
Well that's highly speculated and debated but that's another discussion.

Ben's Song is probably the saddest Sarah McLachlan song. There's several songs on her earlier albums that are all sadder & more depressing than Angel.

Also, Tristania.

From the poll:

Streets of Philadelphia
The Living Years
Landslide
Candle in the Wind
Tears in Heaven
Yesterday
Hurt

Can’t be a legit “saddest song” list without Jason Isbell on it. Dude writes the saddest songs ever. Tried to learn “Elephant” on the guitar a few months ago and couldn’t get thru it without tearing up.

Back