Banned
Reaction score
Brown Rice

c8a97cf86dd9877c02ee937fe9b64ca0ed80da5e.jpg

Or smart bite potatoes?

Brown Rice

c8a97cf86dd9877c02ee937fe9b64ca0ed80da5e.jpg

Or smart bite potatoes?

I don't do well with nightshades. Felt better after I cut out potatoes.

You can eat a variety of carbs. Familiarize yourself with the glycemic index. Following a cardio workout, you can typically get away with a carb which is digested more quickly, but I wouldn't necessarily limit yourself to any one carb source.

Brown rice tastes significantly worse so ima go with that.
Although something about the husk not being removed makes it higher in vitamins and minerals, but also arsenic and possibly other heavy metals.

Washing the rice multiple times seems to take a good portion of that away though

I pretty much stick to white rice so I don't have a dog in this fight.

I find white rice tastes better and there's no phytic acid/arsenic compared to the brown rice as @biscuitsbrah said. Like @Robocok mentioned potatoes are a nightshade and contain a fair amount of lectins so if you've got autoimmune issues you may want to be careful. Potatoes are ranked pretty highly on most scales that measure satiation so if your goal is weight loss then the potatoes might be a better choice since they'll be harder to over-consume because of how full you'll be feeling afterwards.

Plantains are a pretty health choice in terms of starchy carbs. Have you ever had them?

I pretty much stick to white rice so I don't have a dog in this fight.

I find white rice tastes better and there's no phytic acid/arsenic compared to the brown rice as @biscuitsbrah said. Like @Robocok mentioned potatoes are a nightshade and contain a fair amount of lectins so if you've got autoimmune issues you may want to be careful. Potatoes are ranked pretty highly on most scales that measure satiation so if your goal is weight loss then the potatoes might be a better choice since they'll be harder to over-consume because of how full you'll be feeling afterwards.

Plantains are a pretty health choice in terms of starchy carbs. Have you ever had them?
Never have, only bananas and some red bananas but got annoyed with them because it's too hard to tell when they're ripe and it takes for ever before they even become ripe

Never have, only bananas and some red bananas but got annoyed with them because it's too hard to tell when they're ripe and it takes for ever before they even become ripe

Good thing about plantains is that you can cook them at any stage of their ripeness. I like them green. Cut them into coins/medallions, toss in olive oil/salt, and pop them in the oven until they're brown.

Wait until they're yellow/spotted and you can do the same thing but add some cinnamon and maple syrup towards the end and you've got something a little on the sweeter side. There's also all kinds of recipes where you mash them up too. Pretty versatile starch.

Plantain with butter and brown sugar, fried and topped onto pancakes

Hemp seeds
Quinoa seeds
Yams
Sweet Potatoes
Buckwheat

Hemp seeds
Quinoa seeds
Yams
Sweet Potatoes
Buckwheat
I like potatoes and rice because I eat them with meat and they compliment each other well. I used to eat sweet potatoes but got tired of them, now I only eat them in november. I feel like they're not as healthy because I have to eat them with butter and sugar otherwise they're nasty. Oatmeal, bananas and cereal are pretty much the only standalone starches I eat now

There’s no such thing as healthy/unhealthy carbs. Ask Greg Doucette. Calories in, calories out bro. Complex carbs mean nothing

There’s no such thing as healthy/unhealthy carbs. Ask Greg Doucette. Calories in, calories out bro. Complex carbs mean nothing
Well the carb itself will be the same but depending on what source you get your carbs from, you could also be taking in a lot of other unhealthy stuff like trans fat, sugar etc, and missing out on important vitamins and minerals

Just put in the work and dont worry about small things like this.

Imma not gonna read any of the other posts so excuse if it's already been covered.

You need to define HEALTHY. without defining health nobody can suggest which is healthiest.

The simplest definition of healthy is whatever keeps you alive the longest. In which case the choice the decision is easy, pick whatever has the highest number of calories.
This goes for ALL foods. A sack of sugar is more healthy than a cup of oats when you just want to stay alive.

The approach for athletes should not actually be much different.
Athletes aiming to be heavily muscled should basically aim for whatever has the highest amount of concentrated useful nutrition and is easiest to digest. These should be mediated by consideration of inflammation, antioxidants and micronutrients (ie vitamins and minerals).
This approach will almost always be the perfect one in what makes you feel the best for training and recovery.
But there are some people who actually perform better being keto.

The above approach has recently been branded by stand efferding as the "vertical diet" but it was just common sense for many high level athletes. Such as the Chinese weightlifting team who's main staple is buckets of white rice. Which is what Stan recommends for his clients.

Brown rice is not good for anybody! Throw that shit in the trash. Tastes horrible, no native rice eaters touch it (Asians). Is difficult to digest and full of phyates which rob r
Essential minerals like zinc and magnesium from your gut.

A smaller athlete (like most fighters are as opposed to powerlifters) can have more fibre than someone looking for maximum muscle bulk. The latter person needs to eat so many calories and protein that they don't have space in their gut for additional useless fibre, a few spinach leaves is all they need.
A "normal" sized person like a 160lb fighter can have more fibrous stuff but fibrous vegetables come before fibrous grains. So eat broccoli etc.
If you want to eat fibrous breads then get the fermented kind, sourdough etc. And not ones loaded with seeds all over.
Oats have soluble fibre and protein in them too so they are okay .
Seeds, peas, corn etc don't digest and large amounts will only irritate your gut and slow your bodies access to nutrients.

As long as you are exercising everyday and not a fat POS, no amount of white carbs will hurt you and make you diabetic.
But don't eat sugar or corn syrup. Those things go over the edge of what is acceptable in terms of inflammation.
Also try not to have too much fried oily stuff.

Well the carb itself will be the same but depending on what source you get your carbs from, you could also be taking in a lot of other unhealthy stuff like trans fat, sugar etc, and missing out on important vitamins and minerals
You eat oatmeal right?
I'm fairly certain that they're the healthiest source of carbs that there is, at least amongst standard foods, like breads, rices, potatoes, pasta, etc.

They've got tons of fibre though, which while healthy, means it takes long to digest.

You eat oatmeal right?
I'm fairly certain that they're the healthiest source of carbs that there is, at least amongst standard foods, like breads, rices, potatoes, pasta, etc.

They've got tons of fibre though, which while healthy, means it takes long to digest.
Yea but I like rice and potatoes for dinner because you can mix them with meat and have a well balanced healthy meal that also tastes good

Back