When do you do your heavies

Fahcough

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Frist when tank is full.

A few sets in, so everything is loose and warmed up.

At the end, leaving it all on the floor.

Or is everyday all day heavy

Personally, heaviest lifts require the most energy and focus so they’re done at the beginning of the workout. Of course it takes some warmup sets to get to a heavy set, so you’d be loose anyway.

Oh yea it's also your goals. Some folks like hypertrophy so they might work until exhaustion. I want to just move weight so I rest and take my time. I honestly never work till complete exhaustion. I rather not deal with injuries caused by mental or physical fatigue.

Oh yea it's also your goals. Some folks like hypertrophy so they might work until exhaustion. I want to just move weight so I rest and take my time. I honestly never work till complete exhaustion. I rather not deal with injuries caused by mental or physical fatigue.
Guess there's 30 different approaches to training. Heavy might be 8 reps @ 60 sec rest, or 1 rep @ lunch hour rest.
Always kept bench & squat early and DL for last (different days, not all 3) . No bigger reason other than that's how they felt best.

Fast/explode-y exercises first.

Primary strength exercises second.

Assistance/antagonist strength/hypertrophy work third.

Muscular endurance/conditioning last.

This is just my general take on things. In general, the more that a quality would diminish with fatigue, the earlier in the session it goes. Same thing with whichever exercise is most taxing/demanding. I'm not going to do deadlifts after doing lunges or back extensions. Of course, your own goals may differ to mine, in which case you do you boo.

I don't get the post. You have to warm up to your heaviest sets anyway.

First exercise of the workout and warming up to the top set.

I don't get the post. You have to warm up to your heaviest sets anyway.
I forget everyone has vast different routines. Most are probably focusing on 1 area per workout. I do majority full body so the 'heavy' part falls in different parts of the workouts.

It was more of a lazy ass, not thought out attempt at starting a conversation because it had been storming for an hour. OP sounds stupid now.

I usually do my biggest, compound (barbell) lift second or third. I'll do something more explosive and/or something to get a pump, then go into the big compound lift, ramping up to my working sets (which as you know are still pathetically light).

Depends on the day but usual gym workout:
Warmup (bike, jump rope, row, whatever)
Dynamic
Some specific work for a weak point (usually ankles or shoulders)
Explosive movement, most often jumps
Then main lift warmup sets.

Good job to those who decoded the vague riddle.

Use the same style format most days:

Progressive cardio full body movements
Body weight increments
Compounds & isolation

Benching finds itself early in sets. Squats burn more so they feel best mid sets to keep moving on them after. DLs at end , sucks more life out.

With most exercises, I do sets across with the same weight. The exceptions to that are Football Bar Bench and Barbell Rows. With them, I warm up, then work up to a heavy(for me:oops:)Double. Then I'll reduce the weight and do three sets of 4 - 6.

I just do 5's and increase the weight as and when/
TBH I got my best results doing the 5/3/1 regime but I don't think I'll get the best out of it at the moment due to my detrained nature (compared to when I first used it).

Back