Where do the Japanese Kickboxers Train?

FuNomad

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Guys like Masaki Noiri and Tetsuya Yamamoto? Are there high profile camps in Japan? What are they? Do these guys go to Thailand? Just curious.

Most of them train in Japan but many Camp's there also have thai trainers.

Hiroya trained ( not sure if he is still training there ) at Keawsamrit.

[YT]ocslOKRXYqE[/YT]

Last edited:
As fas as those two fighters, they train at each own camp in Aichi, where is the local region of Japan.
Both of their camps are just a minor camp, not so high profile. Aichi is the third largest city in Japan next to Tokyo and Osaka where most professional fighters are living. So also in terms of an interchange among fighters, their training environments are not so good. Also, they rarely go to Thailand for training, I can't say precisely though.

* Yoshihiro Sato also trains at some local camp in Aichi.
* Tetsuya Yamato belongs to Yamato-gym, so "Yamato" is not his real name but just a ring name. (real name is Iwashita)

I don't want to disrespect to their camps, maybe good camp and coaches. However especially Noiri, still just 20 years old, I believe his success owes a lot to his talent itself. (from Wiki : 'As a schoolboy, Noiri began practicing Shin Karate, a style of full contact karate based on Kyokushin but modified to use boxing gloves and allow punches to the face. He soon became an All Japan Junior Champion in the discipline.')

* Tetsuya Yamato belongs to Yamato-gym, so "Yamato" is not his real name but just a ring name. (real name is Iwashita)

Yamato gym in Holland?

Any other good camps to investigate?

As fas as those two fighters, they train at each own camp in Aichi, where is the local region of Japan.
Both of their camps are just a minor camp, not so high profile. Aichi is the third largest city in Japan next to Tokyo and Osaka where most professional fighters are living. So also in terms of an interchange among fighters, their training environments are not so good. Also, they rarely go to Thailand for training, I can't say precisely though.

* Yoshihiro Sato also trains at some local camp in Aichi.

I don't want to disrespect to their camps, maybe good camp and coaches. However especially Noiri, still just 20 years old, I believe his success owes a lot to his talent itself. (from Wiki : 'As a schoolboy, Noiri began practicing Shin Karate, a style of full contact karate based on Kyokushin but modified to use boxing gloves and allow punches to the face. He soon became an All Japan Junior Champion in the discipline.')

Just to clear it up, Aichi is actually a prefecture (equivalent to a state/province), not a region or a city. And if you were referring to Nagoya as Japan's third largest city, it's actually fourth (Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka, then Nagoya). It's not some provincial city either; it's the hub of central Japan and kind of a gateway between Kanto and Kansai.

As for Japanese fighters training in Thailand, aside from a few bigger names like Hiroya, most Japanese fighters training in Thailand also fight in Thailand under FTR (you see a fair number at Lumpinee and Raja on the weekend cards).

They normally don't go to Thailand unless they have a fight there.
They just bring in muay thai trainers, there is at least one former muay thai fighter holding
pad in most of pro gyms in Japan.

Unlike the suggestion above I don't recognize top kickboxer from Hakushinkai,
may be very few mma fighters but not high level kickboxers.
There are just bunches of 5-12 years old kids training there.

Loyalty to the gym is a big part for pro boxers, it seems to be the same for kickboxers
as well, so you might see top kickboxers sticking to their original gyms.

Despite the demise of K-1 in Japan is there still a strong scene there.

Noiri trains out of "full contact karate Oishi dojo". Or Oishi gym as it is usually called, in Nagoya.
http://www.oishi-dojo.com/

It is also the home of Shunsuke Oishi.

Last edited:
Despite the demise of K-1 in Japan is there still a strong scene there.

One of the fastest growing amateur sports in Japan at the moment is glove karate, which is basically K-1 rules kickboxing (actually more like kyokushin in scoring, but otherwise it is basically k-1), but done in karate-gi and with no ring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01XN-t18Qu0
(This is Noiri winning the u-18 glove karate title in the shinkarate organization, that got him a spot in K-1 youth tournament)

Japan and sometimes crossing over to Thailand. Both have great gyms for striking.

One of the fastest growing amateur sports in Japan at the moment is glove karate, which is basically K-1 rules kickboxing (actually more like kyokushin in scoring, but otherwise it is basically k-1), but done in karate-gi and with no ring.
(This is Noiri winning the u-18 glove karate title in the shinkarate organization, that got him a spot in K-1 youth tournament)

Towards the end of K-1 World Max's heyday, a lot of the (then) newer Japanese fighters entering the league were coming out of the shinkarate scene. It's definitely a sport that I wish were bigger outside of Japan (but I get the feeling that a lot of non-Japanese and non-karateka/judoka would understand the scoring system intuitively).

At the moment? Not so sure about that, may be 4 to 5 years ago before the death of k1.
Martial art is pretty much dead in Japan post k1 and Dream.
I will take wrestling and amateur boxing as a faster growing sport
at least these 4-5 years old kids have
hope to win gold medals in Tokyo olympic 2020.

Martial art is pretty much dead in Japan post k1 and Dream.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. MMA and kickboxing (i.e. kakutougi) are definitely not as popular/mainstream as they were a decade ago, but traditional Japanese martial arts (i.e. budoh) are still business as usual.

Oh well it is not as alive as it was back in its heyday then.

Back