Opinion Where do you draw the line on gun regulation?

I agree. Were you just commenting in general, or was there something in my previous post that made you think I supported banning guns based on how they look?
Because when gun controlls talk about "common sense" that always includes an AWB.

Because when gun controlls talk about "common sense" that always includes an AWB.
I think you misinterpreted my post then. I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support assault weapon bans. I think we may be able to find common ground (I mean more as a collective nation rather than you and I personally) when it comes to extended clips and bump stocks. Generally I err on the side of freedom over concerns about safety. I also kind of feel like the cat is out of the bag when it comes to guns in the US.

I think you misinterpreted my post then. I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support assault weapon bans. I think we may be able to find common ground (I mean more as a collective nation rather than you and I personally) when it comes to extended clips and bump stocks. Generally I err on the side of freedom over concerns about safety. I also kind of feel like the cat is out of the bag when it comes to guns in the US.
What's an extended clip?
Bump stocks are irrelevant. You don't need one to bump fire.
It's also not common sense to keep suppressors on the NFA.

So a test, license and insurance for a constitutional right? Would you support the same thing for the first amendment? Before a person can publicly speak or get on any kind of social media and type away they must take a test, be licensed by the government and must I have insurance in case their words causing any damage?

And generally equating cars with firearms, especially when it comes to the insurance aspect, is silly.
Times have changed. Firearms have massively changed since the 2nd amendment was written. Some rules should be changed over time. I believe in gun ownership, but it should be controlled. I know it's not as simple as switching it to a car licensing system, but Both are far to dug in on the issue, and nothing ever changes.

Times have changed. Firearms have massively changed since the 2nd amendment was written. Some rules should be changed over time. I believe in gun ownership, but it should be controlled. I know it's not as simple as switching it to a car licensing system, but Both are far to dug in on the issue, and nothing ever changes.

What need to be changed in your opinion?

Times have changed. For firearms and speech. Wouldn't you agree? If times have changed so much and you feel restrictions are needed to curtail rights you should want any all all rights curtailed with the times. Right? Except you deflected away from virtually all my direct questions.

It (guns) should be controlled? Are you implying they are not now? And again I'll ask you about speech. Should it not be controlled too following your logic here?

Is America getting safer as gun proliferation grows and if so for whom??

Gun deaths were the leading killer of US children in 2020
Guns overtook car crashes to become the leading cause of death for US children and teenagers in 2020, new research shows.

...over 4,300 young Americans died of firearm-related injuries in 2020.

While suicides contributed to the toll, the data shows that homicides form the majority of gun-related deaths.

More than 390 million guns are owned by US civilians.

According to the research - which was published this week in the New England Journal Medicine - the rise in gun-related deaths among Americans between the ages of one and 19 was part of an overall 33.4% increase in firearm homicides nationwide.

Homicides, the study noted, disproportionately impact young Americans.

Over the same time period, the rate of firearm suicides in the US rose by 1.1%.

The overall rate of gun deaths of all reasons - suicide, homicide, unintentional and undetermined - among children and teenagers rose by 29.5%, more than twice that of the wider population.

"We continue to fail to protect our youth from a preventable cause of death," said a research letter published in the journal...

In past years, gun-related deaths were second only to car crashes as the leading cause of death among young Americans. Car deaths, however, have fallen over time and in 2020 approximately 3,900 Americans under 19 died in vehicle crashes....

Gun violence in the US has increased since the Covid-19 pandemic began in early 2020.

"The reasons for the increase are unclear," the research letter said. "It cannot be assumed that firearm-related mortality will later revert to pre-pandemic levels".

A separate study, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine in February, found that 7.5 million US adults - just under 3% of the population - became first-time gun owners during the pandemic between January and April 2021.

This, in turn, exposed 11 million people to household firearms, including five million children...

Is America getting safer as gun proliferation grows and if so for whom??

Gun deaths were the leading killer of US children in 2020
Guns overtook car crashes to become the leading cause of death for US children and teenagers in 2020, new research shows.

...over 4,300 young Americans died of firearm-related injuries in 2020.

While suicides contributed to the toll, the data shows that homicides form the majority of gun-related deaths.

More than 390 million guns are owned by US civilians.

According to the research - which was published this week in the New England Journal Medicine - the rise in gun-related deaths among Americans between the ages of one and 19 was part of an overall 33.4% increase in firearm homicides nationwide.

Homicides, the study noted, disproportionately impact young Americans.

Over the same time period, the rate of firearm suicides in the US rose by 1.1%.

The overall rate of gun deaths of all reasons - suicide, homicide, unintentional and undetermined - among children and teenagers rose by 29.5%, more than twice that of the wider population.

"We continue to fail to protect our youth from a preventable cause of death," said a research letter published in the journal...

In past years, gun-related deaths were second only to car crashes as the leading cause of death among young Americans. Car deaths, however, have fallen over time and in 2020 approximately 3,900 Americans under 19 died in vehicle crashes....

Gun violence in the US has increased since the Covid-19 pandemic began in early 2020.

"The reasons for the increase are unclear," the research letter said. "It cannot be assumed that firearm-related mortality will later revert to pre-pandemic levels".

A separate study, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine in February, found that 7.5 million US adults - just under 3% of the population - became first-time gun owners during the pandemic between January and April 2021.

This, in turn, exposed 11 million people to household firearms, including five million children...
Including suicides as gun violence?

<{MingNope}>

Also, let's cut through the crap.

mm7042a6-F.gif

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7042a6.htm

Here is the mentality of a man who grew up in a city and never bothered to visit or befriend someone from the countryside.
100%. As a person moving to a plot with some acreage in northern Minnesota in the next few months, I did my research. I have come to the conclusion that the largest predators I need to account for in gun selection are black bear, cougar, and gray wolf. This means I need larger capacity and high caliber to account for a pack animal and a furry tank. There's no reason I can think of to own these guns in Saint Paul, but they make perfect sense three hours north.

I dont have an issue with bans on particular assualt weapons (semi auto shotguns, automatic rifles, expslosive rounds) But thats where it needs to stop, alot of these politicians pushing for change have never had to deal with criminals attempting to mug you or breaking into your house or car at 3 in the morning.

The gun serves as deterrent in this aspect also.

Why do you have a problem with semi-auto shotguns which are the most common waterfowl hunting gun but not, it seems, with semi-auto rifles and handguns?

Well if about handguns, I think it depends from country.
Powerful riffles should be allowed in countries with strict hunting limits.
This means that if you had wounded animal licensed to hunt certain numbers, you had used your license for this animal even if you can't collect him. Yeah, you are allowed to shot multiple times on the same target. If managed to do and then.... do job and find, collect elk, wild pig etc...find where this is and ...

I'm in favor of fully automatic weapons but against explosives and open carry.

Just came to see why this thread was necro'd.

Personally, I have no restrictions on weapon ownership. I do think people should register the things they own though. But if someone can safely store nukes, I don't have a problem with them owning them. So, I guess regulation that ensures the owner is capable and competent to secure whatever it is they're buying.

Regards to wounding potential with single shot in close distance: like 3-15 meters...
Smoothbore 16-12-10 gauge with certain loads beats even ordinary military riffle on target without good body armour.
Load power is higher than from 44.Mag revolver with long barrel. Not alone to compare with 45.ACP cartridge etc stuff or NATO 9*19mm even if P+ ...

27- 36 grams ( metric units ) bullet with velocity 330-450 m/s.
Or slugs in container even till level like effect from 8 shots with PM pistol ( 9*18mm ) with trigger pulled once.
+ now with anti lead campaigns to save nature, these " bullets " not rarely are from steel, coated with copper and placed in plastic contrainer.
Total effect with 1 shot ....God help...

Back