Where Does The Rock Stand In the Hall of Greats?

Ok but two notes:

Could is not the same as did. Magnum TA could have been the greatest of all time for instance. Austin was the foundation of the last Golden time. I don’t like Austin personally (even have an email from him, oh and he killed Piper)and prefer to watch Rock but I will give Austin his due.

Secondly, Vince was the Piper for Hogan to Austin so maybe I should also put him above Rock. But I’m biased, I love Piper. Maybe he should be on the same level as Rock.

Fair enough. I guess it's just part of the game, to take what is given to you and make the best of it.

Vince McMahon is an all-time great bad guy and should absolutely be considered in the conversation, even if he wasn't a great wrestler. As a character, he's right up there.

Yeah, but it was only in front of 1 billion Rock-a-Maniacs. Not quite the 3.5 quadrillion Hogan drew. In fairness, Hogan had crossover appeal, what with him being Metallica's bassist and all.

If Hogan hadn't left Metallica, you can bet Mustaine never would have pulled the shit that got him kicked out of the band. So Hogan also needs to get credit for creating Megadeth.

At the top with a small group of guys.

Respectfully, I wouldn't say that Rock was riding a wave at all.

I'd argue one of two things.

- He could have made the Attitude Era just as big if he was put in Austins spot. He may have became a little stale after his match with Hogan, but he was fire in his prime. So in that sense, I'd compare him to Savage. I think that Savage could have done just as well, perhaps even better, in Hogans spot.

- If Piper was essential for Hogan, then Rock was essential for Austin. Him going over Foley like he did as well, was just as beneficial for Foley than it was for Rock.
Agree on the account of Savage. I respect Savage and his accomplishments

savageelbowanimated.gif
macho_man_drop.gif

I'd put him Top 3 along with Austin and Hogan and would have no problem making him number 1. I think some people forget that not only was he arguably the biggest star in wrestling for a time, but he was the biggest star in wrestling at a time when wrestling was at its peak and just packed to the gills with big stars. And as someone mentioned up thread, he was versatile as hell. He played a fantastic heel and babyface. He was great in the ring. He was arguably the best ever on the mic. And something that hasn't been mentioned yet is the fact that despite his persona, he always kept his ego in check. He had no problem putting someone else over, even when he was on top of the world.

I'd put him Top 3 along with Austin and Hogan and would have no problem making him number 1. I think some people forget that not only was he arguably the biggest star in wrestling for a time, but he was the biggest star in wrestling at a time when wrestling was at its peak and just packed to the gills with big stars. And as someone mentioned up thread, he was versatile as hell. He played a fantastic heel and babyface. He was great in the ring. He was arguably the best ever on the mic. And something that hasn't been mentioned yet is the fact that despite his persona, he always kept his ego in check. He had no problem putting someone else over, even when he was on top of the world.

And unlike a lot of them, he had to overcome the world's shittiest gimmick to rise above. People tend to forget just how fucking hated The Rock was for being the lamest stereotypical baby face early in his career. It's now a footnote in his career, and something that just gets mentioned in passing as a lead in to his rise and coming into his own, but man, he was DOA when he came into the WWE. And not in a boring and forgettable way like "The Ringmaster", but in a "Get the fuck out of wrestling, you waste of life! Your mere presence offends me!" kind of way. Not too many can win the fans back after that.

And unlike a lot of them, he had to overcome the world's shittiest gimmick to rise above. People tend to forget just how fucking hated The Rock was for being the lamest stereotypical baby face early in his career. It's now a footnote in his career, and something that just gets mentioned in passing as a lead in to his rise and coming into his own, but man, he was DOA when he came into the WWE. And not in a boring and forgettable way like "The Ringmaster", but in a "Get the fuck out of wrestling, you waste of life! Your mere presence offends me!" kind of way. Not too many can win the fans back after that.
This is the exact reason that Vince insisted Kurt Angle debut as a heel.

He definitely wasn’t the biggest star at the Attitude Era peak because that was Austin. And the NWO trio during 83 weeks.

Before that it was Hogan during the WM Golden years.

Before that it would be Flair in the 70/80 peak NWA.

And earlier you would have to ask Bixenspan.

He has gotta be number 1. If anyone could come back today, no one would get a bigger pop. Not even Austin or Hogan. People should keep in mind that the Rock rose to prominence during Austin's run at the top. Thing is, no one should have risen to Rocks heights during Austin era. Austin was so over, and all of a sudden theres another "the MAN" and I honestly never saw anyone else more over than Austin other than the Rock.

Mic Skills as Good as Flairs.

He has gotta be number 1. If anyone could come back today, no one would get a bigger pop. Not even Austin or Hogan. People should keep in mind that the Rock rose to prominence during Austin's run at the top. Thing is, no one should have risen to Rocks heights during Austin era. Austin was so over, and all of a sudden theres another "the MAN" and I honestly never saw anyone else more over than Austin other than the Rock.

Rock might get a bigger pop than Austin because he’s now the biggest movie star in the world. Not because he was or is more over in wrestling.

Hogan ain’t shit nowadays but consider what Rock’s most over match ever was - vs Hogan.

1st Tier guy

1st Tier: Cross over superstars

2nd Tier: Main event draws that don't quite reach tier 1.

3rd Tier: Guys who were great at multiple aspects but never really became "the guy," and didn't draw tons of fans solely on their name.

4th Tier: Regular guys

5th Tier: Jobbers

he's the most successful pro-wrestler ever if you count what he's done outside of wrestling. Most likely the richest too unless you count Vince.

His ability?

Top tier mic-guy
Great worker, that was average from a technical standpoint

He's definitely top 10 ever

He definitely wasn’t the biggest star at the Attitude Era peak because that was Austin. And the NWO trio during 83 weeks.

Before that it was Hogan during the WM Golden years.

Before that it would be Flair in the 70/80 peak NWA.

And earlier you would have to ask Bixenspan.
Flair didn't hit his stride until the 80's. Bruno would have been "the" guy if we are talking US only.

Agree on the account of Savage. I respect Savage and his accomplishments

savageelbowanimated.gif
macho_man_drop.gif

Macho Man was a huge part of the absolute peak of the WWF Rock N' Roll era, which I believe if you were to find a way to account for inflation of the metrics, might be the zenith of WWF popularity!

he's the most successful pro-wrestler ever if you count what he's done outside of wrestling. Most likely the richest too unless you count Vince.

His ability?

Top tier mic-guy
Great worker, that was average from a technical standpoint

He's definitely top 10 ever

Easily, in my opinion. Even within wrestling, he broke the gates and buyrates records and then set the all time ppv buys record when he came back as an older man.

He would be in the top few for me.. he had so much charisma and was great in the ring and on the mic.

I consider Austin the greatest of all time. No one, including Austin / Hogan / Flair etc would consistently have the crowd in the palm of their hands like the Rock though.

Rock is easy top 10, but just outside of Mt Rushmore

Back