International Where was you / what was you doing when 9/11 happened?

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
A new documentary has just hit Netflix. I'm currently half way through.

I've seen so many 9/11 documentaries, but I always make room and watch a new one. They're very upsetting but also very interesting.

This one delves into the Taliban and the attacks in 1979 in Afganistan, etc.

To the topic...

I was in a Science class in school, I think I was year 8 or 9 at the time.

My Science teacher put the news on on the TV, and we watched as these were unfolding. I was very young at the time so didn't pay too much attention, but I did watch it, not many in the class did though.

In college. My father worked in the city and his company lost the most people during the attacks. Luckily he didn’t work in the WTC and his office was in midtown but that day was hectic trying to contact him. Cell networks were all overloaded and didn’t hear he was safe until 11pm that night.

I can remember exactly where I was when it happened. Was working building houses in CA and listening to Howard Stern on the way to work when I heard the news. It was not known what was going on until the 2nd plane came in. I spent the whole day trying to get out of work, didn't work. I listened to the whole thing on the radio while working my ass off, it was one of the most bizarre days in American history in my lifetime.

I was at Fort Knox in Marine Corps Tank School. I was guarding the tank ammo for the main gun. I thought the staff sergeant who was there had it onto a science fiction radio show. That is because the radio was talking about planes crashing into the twin towers. Shortly after we got called into formation and the company commander went to talk to us. The whole base went into full lock down.

I was in a computer class, senior year of high school. Teacher told us something happened that would change our lives forever, then wouldn't tell us what happened. We were all like, "huh, wtf?!"

Eventually word got out. I lived on Long Island, so kids had parents that worked at the WTC. They started getting called down to the main office.

Everyone pretty much left, eventually. My friends and I went to Wantagh Parkway, across from the Jones Beach trail leading to Jones Beach. Parked by a bridge. We could actually see the towers smoking from there.

About 10 or so alumni from my HS, including two brothers, died. Some kids lost relatives. One of my neighbors, guy I always talked to when I walked my dog, was actually above where one of the planes hit, but managed to get out. He passed away recently from a heart attack while shoveling snow.

Sister's boyfriend/future husband, was in Manhattan, interning for the banksters there. He had a real close view of it. Scary day.

Last edited:
Was surfing at Pine Point in the state of Maine. Someone I was surfing with told me. I just couldn't picture it and thought it must have been some type of accident. Little did I know how much of an event it really was at that point.

I was in gym class senior year in HS. I was a month away from turning 18. When I got home my dad made me register for the draft lol.
Yeah we all thought there was going to be a war and we were going to get drafted.

There were American flags EVERYWHERE after 9/11. Like holy moly somebody must have become a billionaire off that. The 7/11s and Dunkin Doughnuts, which for some reason around me always had owners/workers from Pakistan and India, really went wild with them.

I was in Jr college. Was in Martial Arts class. One kid came in and said a plane had hit the WTC. I thought it was a small plane that got lost or whatever. Another kid came in later saying another one hit. One kid said he was scared, and the coach said we are all get scared, keep doing the warm ups.
Went to the next class and got more info, and they decided to send us home. Being in the DC area, there were police cars everywhere on the way home. Was surreal how many were going all over the place.
My Middle School teacher, a helicopter pilot in Vietnam and the Gulf War, died in the Pentagon. Dude was a great teacher and he apparently while leading people out, heard a shout and went back to help. He was never seen alive again.

In college. My father worked in the city and his company lost the most people during the attacks. Luckily he didn’t work in the WTC and his office was in midtown but that day was hectic trying to contact him. Cell networks were all overloaded and didn’t hear he was safe until 11pm that night.
That is nuts. My brother was a med student and he did triage down there.
Bet there was a while where you were like F, hope dad didn't go to the HQ today. That must have been rough.

Was 11 years old. Mom came and picked me up out of class and explained what happened. Then I watched the news for hours of the planes hitting the towers. Little did I know, those towers falling was the end of everything.

Annual "Working at a greenhouse, boss was floating out some news I didn't think much about. Went for break. Listened to Howard Stern freaking out and got the full picture" post.

I remember that vividly. What’s weird is I very seldom watch the news, but that morning I turned it on and they were covering what was happening. I don’t recall if it was before or after the second plane hit, but it was before the pentagon was hit and before either tower had come down.

I was actually home from school with the chicken pox. I vaguely remember my mother flipping out and calling other people.

Also, i dont know if you guys would remember this but i remember some moron being interviewed and he was going on and on about parachutes landing

I was sleeping. Got a phone call from a cousin who tells me to open the TV. He thought it was the beginning of WW3.

I was actually home from school with the chicken pox. I vaguely remember my mother flipping out and calling other people.

Also, i dont know if you guys would remember this but i remember some moron being interviewed and he was going on and on about parachutes landing
As soon as it happened there were all sorts of apocryphal stories. Eventually they got truly bizarre. Like, "the planes were holograms" and shit.

One of Sherdog's classic nuts, Gotti McCarran, was a big proponent of that, back when we used to have 9/11 Truther threads constantly.

I was working in Manhattan on a detail when the first plane hit... we were all at one world trade when the second plane hit ...i sounded like godzilla just roared.. it was so loud like deafening.. i was about 1 block away from the debris field when the first building went down ... after it fell it was silence ... just dust and silence .. like the entire world ended or something just really eerie .. people stumbling around cars just flattened and big tears in buildings... there really aren't words for it .. decimation maybe?

we started looking for injured and survivors and the second building fell .. at least we were backing people up etc..

i really dont remember much of it .. its just a mass of screaming and death and stumbling around looking for someone to give us orders and trying to help where we could .. i think i ddnt sleep the first 2-3 days after.. we were too busy looking for people in rubble .. i slept on the floor of a fire station along with 20 other guys using coats and hoses to sleep on .. it was the worst thing i have ever seen ... we spent a month there looking through the rubble for anything we could identity a person with .. a shoe... what looked like pants or a shirt maybe with blood on it for DNA etc...

it was terrible ..i wont get into specifics except for crushed body parts or spots of blood we marked off for testing etc ... sometimes the shoes still had a foot in it etc...

the one thing i will never forget is all of the camaraderie... we werent cops or firemen anymore we were all just people doing a job and trying to get through it together... i made some lifelong friends ... and buried twice as many after from all the cancers and diseases they got .. i think the only thing that didnt kill me was i had my fire dept gear in my car and wore it those first 2 days and then my MSA mask afterwards... who knows .. i might have cancer in me right now .. i hope not

I had a friend get 6 different types of cancer afterwards just horrible things... watching all my friends wasting away..

they didnt tell anyone that DOW chemical had like 5 subfloors where they were doing all kinds of testing on bio weapons or some bacteria shit ... and when the buildings went down all that went into the air

the cloud stayed for months..

no one was ever held accountable and we were told not to talk about it to the press or our families...

yeah it was hands down the worst thing i went through... worse than having to take someones life by far...

Back