International Where was you / what was you doing when 9/11 happened?

10th grade, shop week. Teacher came into the class and said somebody had bombed the WTC again. Jumped on the class computer to read the news. This must've been the absolute slowest piece of shit computer in the world. Looked up Yahoo front page and saw both towers smoking. Refreshing the page took a couple of minutes each time, and I vividly remember one time the page managed to refresh and it was the same picture, but one tower had fallen.

I had to bring attendance to the Dean's office and walked by classrooms with TV's replaying the second plane hit. Everybody was just silently watching, teachers and students alike. That was a scary day.

I was working a terrible, graveyard shift job and helping take care of my terminally ill mother, I got up mid morning, just before the second plane hit the towers.Seemed surreal.

I will never forget it.

I was in grade 11 , at my locker getting ready to go to Biology class when my friend came and told a group of us.

That afternoon after lunch we spent the rest of the day watching the news in the library. I remember thinking this was my generations Kennedy assassination.

You're absolutely right. One of those moments you can always remember clearly, no matter how many years have passed.

I was at a basketball practice. My father drove me home afterwards and told me what happened. Other kids' parents were pleasantly surprised, but he was literally overcome with joy. He was naïve in his belief that it was just the beginning of a huge series of terrorist attacks on the US.

I was at a basketball practice. My father drove me home afterwards and told me what happened. Other kids' parents were pleasantly surprised, but he was literally overcome with joy. He was naïve in his belief that it was just the beginning of a huge series of terrorist attacks on the US.
Your dad sounds like a gigantic asshole and I hope he gets dick cancer.

I was at Fort Knox in Marine Corps Tank School. I was guarding the tank ammo for the main gun. I thought the staff sergeant who was there had it onto a science fiction radio show. That is because the radio was talking about planes crashing into the twin towers. Shortly after we got called into formation and the company commander went to talk to us. The whole base went into full lock down.
Are you on the documentary?

Was in class (high school). US government class, somewhat coincidentally

Working in the comms center on an aircraft carrier on the mids watch. We had just left Hawaii after finishing a 6 month deployment enforcing Op Southern Watch. Initially the report over the broadcast was the towers were hit with a small cessna plane. It was until we wrapped up our shift and turned on the news that we learned it was a much bigger incident.

Bagging some gal the night before, woke up in shock, pretty sure I was shitposting on SD soon after. I don’t think it was the war room back then.

Your dad sounds like a gigantic asshole and I hope he gets dick cancer.

He had lost two brothers in war against NATO, so such a reaction was to be expected. What I could personally never respect was the fact that he decided to live vicariosly through others who had the strength to retaliate for the deaths of their loved ones (the terrorists in this case) and celebrate petty "victories" such as that.

If you feel you've been wronged, either do something or get over it. Everything else is pathetic.

Last edited:
He had lost two brothers in war against NATO, so such a reaction was to be expected. What I could personally never respect was the fact that he decided to live vicariosly through others who had the strength to retaliate for the deaths of their loved ones (the terrorists in this case) and celebrate petty "victories" such as that.

If you feel you've been wronged, either do something or get over it. Everything else is pathetic.
I wish you had included this in your original post…my reaction would not have been so knee-jerk.

I was 19 years old working at Ace Hardware in the paint department. That morning I was mixing up some paint. It was in the shaker machine which runs on an internal timer. As I was standing there I could see thru the seam to the timer and it was counting down 4….3….2…1 I said to myself “it’s a bomb, osama is gonna kill us all”. Half hour later a customer came in and told us to turn on the news. We all sat there and watched tv for the whole day. It was a crazy premonition that I will never forget.
I knew of OBL at the time, I was 19. But I don't think I ever mentioned his name or ever thought of him that much. Not enough to joke about it in my head at work. That is pretty nuts man

Also, don't move to and live in the country that you feel wronged you. Your dad sounds like he was awful all over

Back