Which Gloves Should I get Next? (Large Hands)

vision1

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I currently have R2C C17 (16oz Velcro), which I’ve been using for a couple years now. They’ve seen many rounds and it’s time for an upgrade.

I’ve been fairly satisfied with my C17s, enough to recommend them to several friends, but there are definitely some areas I’d like to improve.

1) Size – These are small on me. The width is okay but the length is not. My fingers go all the way to the end, then when I make a fist, the part of the glove that contacts the bag is not ideal. I can also only get 3 layers of wrap over my knuckles, any more and the pressure becomes unbearable with a clenched fist. Finally, my thumbs go numb if I throw too many power shots because they get jammed on the bag. I don’t know if this is due to the thumb compartment being too short or the foam compressing too much over my knuckles. I’m 6’3 and my hands are at the very least average size for my height.

2) Wrist support – I get lingering wrist pain all the time when I’m boxing. It affects my main sport and my job and day-to-day activity.

Do you guys have any recommendations? The wrist support should be an easy fix by switching to lace-up but I need help with the sizing. I’ve been considering custom Top Boxer gloves but maybe some of their stocks fit bigger than R2C? I’ve also been looking into Sabas but again I’m not sure about fit. I’m considering a Mexican style glove this time around instead of Japanese. I only spar occasionally and I can keep my R2Cs for that.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

TopBoxer stock Win1 fits longer hands than R2C C17. Not sure on Alien as I've not had them at 16oz which is what I've had R2C C17s at. Sabas Pro Series fits longer hands better than R2C C17 also.

You could've broken those R2C in more over two years time from the sounds of things, stuff some tennis balls and socks into them where they're tight so that the padding and leather is forced to stretch and open up better for you.

RE: wrist support, the wrist support on R2C C17 is fine. The issue is either that because the fit of the glove is poor on you, you aren't making a fist properly/you're not landing on your knuckles properly and it's having a detrimental effect throughout your hands/wrists. Or it's an issue of technique where you'll do that on any gloves you have.

TopBoxer stock Win1 fits longer hands than R2C C17. Not sure on Alien as I've not had them at 16oz which is what I've had R2C C17s at. Sabas Pro Series fits longer hands better than R2C C17 also.

Thank you! Glad to get a quick comment from a big hand man.
Of the gloves you listed, which is your favourite? I'm assuming Win1 and SuperSoft are similar while Alien and Pro Series are similar.
I don't care at all about logos and colours, I was only considering going custom for a nice fit. If the stock sizes of TopBoxer and Sabas are both longer than R2C then I should be able to save some $.

You could've broken those R2C in more over two years time from the sounds of things, stuff some tennis balls and socks into them where they're tight so that the padding and leather is forced to stretch and open up better for you.

Possibly but after 100+ hours they should be well stretched. I'll give the tennis balls a try and see if it helps.

RE: wrist support, the wrist support on R2C C17 is fine. The issue is either that because the fit of the glove is poor on you, you aren't making a fist properly/you're not landing on your knuckles properly and it's having a detrimental effect throughout your hands/wrists. Or it's an issue of technique where you'll do that on any gloves you have.

Technique is decent, I'm not too worried about that. I also wrap my wrists a lot since there isn't much space to wrap my knuckles/hands. I think too many years of sports/lifting/etc is getting to me. If lace-up CAN help I might as well try it. Hopefully I can find a good price on Lace N Loop. I haven't found any good dealer in Canada. $58 on Amazon seems ridiculous.

Hopefully I can find a good price on Lace N Loop. I haven't found any good dealer in Canada. $58 on Amazon seems ridiculous.
Can you buy from lace and loop direct and pay the shipping? That's what I ended up doing here in the UK

I think the wrist support on the Win1 velco is fairly decent in my opinion as well for what its worth but I prefer lace ups depends how practical that is for you.

Are these for sparing or bag/pads

I think new gloves for bag and pad work
Keep my C17s for sparring only

Edit: Depends which gloves I decide to get though. If they're soft enough for sparring then maybe I'll use them for both.

I think new gloves for bag and pad work
Keep my C17s for sparring only
I wouldn't recommend 16oz Win1 then I find them far to soft for bag and pads but understand that the 14oz are firmer.

maybe some custom aliens

I wouldn't recommend 16oz Win1 then I find them far to soft for bag and pads but understand that the 14oz are firmer.

maybe some custom aliens

I've got 12oz Win1 and they're firm. Nothing like my Winning, actually. But still really good for bags and pads.

I've got 12oz Win1 and they're firm. Nothing like my Winning, actually. But still really good for bags and pads.
Yes it depends on the weight I have the 16oz Win1 and these are very soft.....the 14oz and 12oz are meant to be quiet different.

Yes it depends on the weight I have the 16oz Win1 and these are very soft.....the 14oz and 12oz are meant to be quiet different.

That's certainly what everyone says, yeah. It's odd that TB calls the padding "Win1" regardless of weight, when plainly the 12oz and lower padding is not the same as the 14oz and above padding. I got the Win1 padding on my 12oz TBs anticipating something like Winning padding. But it's nothing like the padding on my 12oz Winnings. My TBs are still great gloves. They're just not what I was anticipating.

Thank you! Glad to get a quick comment from a big hand man.
Of the gloves you listed, which is your favourite? I'm assuming Win1 and SuperSoft are similar while Alien and Pro Series are similar.
I don't care at all about logos and colours, I was only considering going custom for a nice fit. If the stock sizes of TopBoxer and Sabas are both longer than R2C then I should be able to save some
Sabas Pro Series and Alien dont feel at all similar, Ive not tried Sabas Super Soft.

It's odd that TB calls the padding "Win1" regardless of weight
The cut of the leathers was originally based on Winning, which is the justification. The padding on higher stock Win1 weights is intended as more medium density now than as soft as it used to be. More streamlined throughout.

Sabas Pro Series and Alien dont feel at all similar, Ive not tried Sabas Super Soft.

I looked it up, I think it's the Bella series that would be similar to Alien.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the thumbs on TB gloves. Have they improved? Are the Alien thumbs better than the Win1 thumbs?

I've only ever had one pair of gloves at a time, which means they've been do-it-all pairs.
Now that I'm getting a second pair, mostly for pad/bag work, should I consider going down in size or sticking with 16oz? I'm 215 lbs if that makes much of a different.

I've only ever had one pair of gloves at a time, which means they've been do-it-all pairs.
Now that I'm getting a second pair, mostly for pad/bag work, should I consider going down in size or sticking with 16oz? I'm 215 lbs if that makes much of a different.
Personally if there are 100% not for sparing I would get a pair of 14oz gloves.....that's what I use on bag and pads I am around 188lb. I am sure its personal preference but I prefer smaller gloves on bag and pad....I will occasionally use 16oz on the bag in between turns in the ring when sparing

fairtex bgv5 is good for large hands

Last edited:
I ended up getting 16oz custom all black Aliens. I was able to get a good price since I didn't ask for any special mods.
I'll let you guys know how they are after I've used them

I have the same question but I am based in the UK so R2C C17 not an option.
I have an order for a custom pair of Topboxer in process but would need another good pair in the meantime mostly for bag work. So something quite cheap but still of reasonable quality.

I found this seller on ebay which seems to have pakistan-made leather gloves: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/purexpk?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Pictures look fine to me. Let me know what you guys think or if anyone has ever tried buying from him.

Thanks

Back