Which sparring headgear should I use?

Idk I also get worried that, if it did work, it'd provide a false sense of security

Sparring in the sting competition headgear gets me exactly use to the gear, how heavy it, and what sort of protection it brings

Do u find this to be a problem?
No your going to hit anyway that’s how I think of it and if you get reckless it will hurt more haha

Idk I also get worried that, if it did work, it'd provide a false sense of security

Sparring in the sting competition headgear gets me exactly use to the gear, how heavy it, and what sort of protection it brings

Do u find this to be a problem?

Aren't you in the UK? If so, then you aren't going to use headgear for competition anyway as an amateur unless you're a junior or female, so getting used to that gear isn't much advantageous.

The big advantage of a cheek protector headguard or facesaver is that it prevents cuts. That's why nearly every top professional uses one. The only top pros I've seen favour open face headguards that I can recall are Rigondeaux and Paulie Malignaggi. I personally still use an open face headguard though.

Aren't you in the UK? If so, then you aren't going to use headgear for competition anyway as an amateur unless you're a junior or female, so getting used to that gear isn't much advantageous.

The big advantage of a cheek protector headguard or facesaver is that it prevents cuts. That's why nearly every top professional uses one. The only top pros I've seen favour open face headguards that I can recall are Rigondeaux and Paulie Malignaggi. I personally still use an open face headguard though.

Nah man im aussie lol

Got this one ! Twins HGL 10.

Seems like a good headgear, padding seems thicker than usual (Twins does very hard headgear), everything is protected, especially the chin, and the visibility seems ok. Was very pricey though (paid it almost 200 bucks).
Only concern I have with that is that the chin pad is so big it might prevent me from tucking my chin properly without choking myself, but I'm gonna get it next week, I will make a review then.

Onyx is probably the smallest profile. Another good one is winning or everlast.

Headgear is literally only for protection against cuts

Onyx is probably the smallest profile. Another good one is winning or everlast.

Headgear is literally only for protection against cuts
https://www.researchgate.net/public...veness_of_Boxing_Headgear_for_Limiting_Injury
Everyone keeps saying that but I don't think it's accurate.
It's also counter-intuitive: if you had to be hit by Prime Tyson, would you rather have headgear on or not? I fucking would.
What is important though is to have headgear that doesn't limit your vision and movement.

Got this one ! Twins HGL 10.

Seems like a good headgear, padding seems thicker than usual (Twins does very hard headgear), everything is protected, especially the chin, and the visibility seems ok. Was very pricey though (paid it almost 200 bucks).
Only concern I have with that is that the chin pad is so big it might prevent me from tucking my chin properly without choking myself, but I'm gonna get it next week, I will make a review then.

Just sent this one back. Even in size XL, half of my eyes are covered by the top part of the headgear.
I want to purchase the Hayabusa T3 but they they are sold out everywhere in size L/XL.

The windy pro series is supposed to be decent
Do you know if it protects more than the Hayabusa T?
The Hayabusa is also said to be super light and to stay in place, which is uber important, on top of having thick protection on the chin, and even the straps look like they could absorb some shock (I also spar MMA, so accidentals to the top of the head are not uncommon when shooting or in the scramble etc.)

https://www.researchgate.net/public...veness_of_Boxing_Headgear_for_Limiting_Injury
Everyone keeps saying that but I don't think it's accurate.
It's also counter-intuitive: if you had to be hit by Prime Tyson, would you rather have headgear on or not? I fucking would.
What is important though is to have headgear that doesn't limit your vision and movement.
I would rather have headgear if it was a single punch. But having a bigger head along with less vision you will almost always be hit more

I would rather have headgear if it was a single punch. But having a bigger head along with less vision you will almost always be hit more
Fait point, that's why I sent back the Twins BVGL, couldn't see anything out of that.
But I think there are some headgears that almost don't hinder your vision, like the Hayabusa T3.
Btw, if someone knows where I can find a T3 (the full face, with the chin protection in size L/Xl (for my Henry Cejudo type of head), feel free to PM me ;)

Do you know if it protects more than the Hayabusa T?
The Hayabusa is also said to be super light and to stay in place, which is uber important, on top of having thick protection on the chin, and even the straps look like they could absorb some shock (I also spar MMA, so accidentals to the top of the head are not uncommon when shooting or in the scramble etc.)

Here is a review from Simon from the fit2box channel

Anddd....
https://www.fit2boxchannel.com/best-headguards
A list of best headguard from his website.

A lot of guys on here will look to Simon and Carlos from csquaredboxing for equipment reviews

Here is a review from Simon from the fit2box channel

Anddd....
https://www.fit2boxchannel.com/best-headguards
A list of best headguard from his website.

A lot of guys on here will look to Simon and Carlos from csquaredboxing for equipment reviews

@GoatArtemLobov if you want a facesaver (bar type) I recommend the fly sparbar x. Simon at fit2box rates them highly and vision is much better compared to the winning (I have both) just a little less padding I would say

@GoatArtemLobov if you want a facesaver (bar type) I recommend the fly sparbar x. Simon at fit2box rates them highly and vision is much better compared to the winning (I have both) just a little less padding I would say

goddamnit i should've gotten flys headgear when i had the chance then. the cheek x line one. the shipping cost to my country is suicide but im looking for new headgear cuz i bought one from fairtex in a local boxing store (my country only has muay thai stores so i so have to order all boxing equipment online). but the issue is the fairtex's headgear has a chinpad and is really bulky I've taken way too many unnecessary shots cuz of it.

are there any cheek headgears you'd recommend? im willing to save up to maybe 150 usd for good headgear. vision being the priority.

have you tried prize ring or TopBoxers headgear?

also on a completely unrelated note I've been lurking the forums to find a good glove to use for long bag sessions. i know u own bgv9s and reyes

i was looking to buy one of the two or possibly prize ring gloves or topboxer aliens for bagwork

which one did u think was the best out of the bgv9s and reyes for bagwork

goddamnit i should've gotten flys headgear when i had the chance then. the cheek x line one. the shipping cost to my country is suicide but im looking for new headgear cuz i bought one from fairtex in a local boxing store (my country only has muay thai stores so i so have to order all boxing equipment online). but the issue is the fairtex's headgear has a chinpad and is really bulky I've taken way too many unnecessary shots cuz of it.

are there any cheek headgears you'd recommend? im willing to save up to maybe 150 usd for good headgear. vision being the priority.

have you tried prize ring or TopBoxers headgear?

also on a completely unrelated note I've been lurking the forums to find a good glove to use for long bag sessions. i know u own bgv9s and reyes

i was looking to buy one of the two or possibly prize ring gloves or topboxer aliens for bagwork

which one did u think was the best out of the bgv9s and reyes for bagwork
The fly I was talking about the face bar one in the x range. For check ones if I was to look for a budget one I would prob get the uma r9 as seem to get lots of praise.

I really like the cleto gloves for heavy bag work and general training I always get drawn back to those. The bgv9 are great for the money though if buying them direct from Thailand. I haven’t tried the topboxer aliens.

I would imagine if you are in or around Thailand the bvg9 will be half the cost of most other gloves so I would try those

Reactions: CJ1
The fly I was talking about the face bar one in the x range. For check ones if I was to look for a budget one I would prob get the uma r9 as seem to get lots of praise.

I really like the cleto gloves for heavy bag work and general training I always get drawn back to those. The bgv9 are great for the money though if buying them direct from Thailand. I haven’t tried the topboxer aliens.

I would imagine if you are in or around Thailand the bvg9 will be half the cost of most other gloves so I would try those

i live in a country close to Thailand from a local muay thai store i can get the bgv9s for around 100usd or less. but i don't mind buying reyes for the durability but people say it can cause hand issues and sore knuckles im 60 kgs and i wanna get 16ozs (14oz if i got reyes cuz i heard its overweight would suck if the glove weights don't match) .

i may get it lace up too.

its between the bgv9s, reyes, prize rings or topboxer win1s/aliens

as for the headgear ill check the uma r9s out

i live in a country close to Thailand from a local muay thai store i can get the bgv9s for around 100usd or less. but i don't mind buying reyes for the durability but people say it can cause hand issues and sore knuckles im 60 kgs and i wanna get 16ozs (14oz if i got reyes cuz i heard its overweight would suck if the glove weights don't match) .

i may get it lace up too.

its between the bgv9s, reyes, prize rings or topboxer win1s/aliens

as for the headgear ill check the uma r9s out
All the Velcro reyes will come in over weight well all of mine have. I can compare the reyes and bvg9 directly as I had 14oz in both. Reyes was harder on the hand until you wear them in this will likely take a while I would say at least 20 rounds on the bag. Bvg9 are nice from the off. I have literally just got a new pair of 16oz reyes (Velcro) and I forgot how tight / solid they are to start with so need to break them in.

Also it might sound stupid but how much they hurt you hand etc will depend on the wraps you use and the bags at your gym. If you have a very hard bag then using a soft padded glove like a win1 or adidas adispeed can feel a little strange. I keep my 16oz fly gloves for sparring but to be honest I don’t think I would like using them on a heavy bag at the gym as wouldn’t feel right

All the Velcro reyes will come in over weight well all of mine have. I can compare the reyes and bvg9 directly as I had 14oz in both. Reyes was harder on the hand until you wear them in this will likely take a while I would say at least 20 rounds on the bag. Bvg9 are nice from the off. I have literally just got a new pair of 16oz reyes (Velcro) and I forgot how tight / solid they are to start with so need to break them in.

Also it might sound stupid but how much they hurt you hand etc will depend on the wraps you use and the bags at your gym. If you have a very hard bag then using a soft padded glove like a win1 or adidas adispeed can feel a little strange. I keep my 16oz fly gloves for sparring but to be honest I don’t think I would like using them on a heavy bag at the gym as wouldn’t feel right

i see. AHAH im having trouble with bag gloves and headgear.

i may use my bag gloves, for sparring but rarely as its pretty annoying to have to lace up sparring gloves for a round and then asking someone to take em off

was considering win1s for this tho im worried about durability. i love my feedback and id love to feel every punch, my knuckles and wrists r pretty strong so i have no worries but my sparring partners may not like me hitting them with a pair of aliens or bgv9s regardless of if i had it in 16ozs. tho not many people here use a separate glove for sparring and bag

tbh was considering winnings headgear but they expensive asf and i wont feel worthy of wearing them. dont wanna be that guy with all the gear but no skills but i fked up buying flys x line for sparring already AHAHA. i have time to save up on money cuz here it looks like the lockdown wont end till the end of the year and i prolly wont be able to spar for awhile when gyms reopen.

i see. AHAH im having trouble with bag gloves and headgear.

i may use my bag gloves, for sparring but rarely as its pretty annoying to have to lace up sparring gloves for a round and then asking someone to take em off

was considering win1s for this tho im worried about durability. i love my feedback and id love to feel every punch, my knuckles and wrists r pretty strong so i have no worries but my sparring partners may not like me hitting them with a pair of aliens or bgv9s regardless of if i had it in 16ozs. tho not many people here use a separate glove for sparring and bag

tbh was considering winnings headgear but they expensive asf and i wont feel worthy of wearing them. dont wanna be that guy with all the gear but no skills but i fked up buying flys x line for sparring already AHAHA. i have time to save up on money cuz here it looks like the lockdown wont end till the end of the year and i prolly wont be able to spar for awhile when gyms reopen.
I really didn’t like 16oz win1 or fly on the bag felt they was too soft. Bvg9 are a bit hard for sparring the Reyes should be ok once they are broken in a few people spar in those at gyms I use. Or get some bvg9 for bag and pads and win1 stock model to spar in

I really didn’t like 16oz win1 or fly on the bag felt they was too soft. Bvg9 are a bit hard for sparring the Reyes should be ok once they are broken in a few people spar in those at gyms I use. Or get some bvg9 for bag and pads and win1 stock model to spar in

ill consider it. maybe light sparring with the bgv9s or the aliens (ill be going to a new gym soon so ill have to check to see if their bags are soft enough to use win1s, it would be more convenient as an all rounder for those random 1 round sparring sessions). i dont think ill be able to afford another pair of gloves for awhile if i do decide to save up for winning headgear. saw a dude saying if he could go back he'd just save up and buy winnings headgear. so i might just take his advice and do that.
do you by any chance know where u can get winning headgear for possibly cheaper than the official website at 325usd?

i really like that springy recoil off the bag with punchers gloves, the feedback too and the fact i can feel every punch. does the bgv9s fit this category? and do you think they are comfortable, protective enough and durable to use for long bag sessions?

do win1s feel bad on the aqua bag too?

ill use my flys X for sparring only as i wanna preserve that.

i really appreciate the help! sorry for having so many questions!

Last edited:
Back