Whittaker vs. Strickland Has to Happen Next

Gabe

Saturdays are for the Boys
@Silver
Reaction score
I feel like it would be a shame if this fight didn’t happen next, it’s the perfect time. Both guys are in the title picture but still not quite there due to recent losses to DDP. They have both been around forever and their lack of finishing ability could provide for a 15 or 25 minute striking session. Fight should be five rounds too, would be such a disservice if it wasn’t. Who would win this?

I'd watch. It's probably a good #1 contender fight.

Or Strickland needs to fight down in the ranks.

This fight makes sense for sure, winner fights DDP again I guess.

There's a card coming up in Australia later in the year apparently, even though Izzy is 2-0 a trilogy with Whittaker would sell very well down here. Then again pretty much every card sells out here and there's been some thin ones, so maybe not needed.

Strickland's performed a lot better against high end competition than people thought he would. Razor close losses to Cannonier and DDP that many saw him winning and schooling Izzy is not that bad at MW, he stumbled against Poatan but seems like he learned well from it. The Imavov win I think is also going to age well.

2 years ago I'd say you're dumb as hell if you picked Strickland to beat Rob but now I think it's likely.

That’s the matchup that I thought of straight away too. Makes the most sense and would be a great fight!!

Bet you anything these two will get matched up on a future PPV card, but Rob will get injured close to fight night and this fight will never happen.

Could this fight headline a PPV?
With a banging undercard like 291 it definitely could. However the UFC has plenty of Champs to headline ppvs this summer with Leon, Tom, DDP, Islam, Ilia, & Jones/Stipe.

So I doubt they do it but it would cool if they did because it would allow for a couple super-cards to happen by pairing together some of the aforementioned Champs.

It makes sense. Winner gets another crack at Du Plessis. I'd be rooting for Whittaker, but i would favor strickland at this point in time. Both guys have good jabs and boxing, but i don't think Whittaker has the speed to consistently land on Sean and stay out of the way of his jab. Sean by UD imo.

Back