Who would have taken it in their primes? Showtime or The Menace??

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Anthony Pettis vs. Michael Johnson at 155. Who would you have given it to?

Pettis would be the obvious favorite but MJ can pull off a weird upset like he did against Poirier, Ferg or Edson.

None of those three fights you mentioned were big upsets. The odds were close and you have to look at the momentum they all had at that time.

MJ was the first legitimate lightweight Poirier faced, close odds but Poirier was untested at LW while MJ already had wins over some of the best and wasn't on the terrible skid he's on now.

Both MJ and Ferguson were up and comers. Both green and on the rise. Close odds, nobody was shocked by the outcome.

The most surprising one was MJ vs Edson since MJ was coming off of a big layoff and Edson was pretty hot at that time.

In their primes and in a 5 round fight, Pettis definitely takes it. In a 3 round fight I could see it being a close decision for either guy.

pettis imo.

would still be a fun fight now at light weight.

MJ on paper is a bad matchup for Pettis who has shitty footwork and boxing defense

....that being said, MJ dominates him for 2.5 rounds then gets tornado kick KO'd with 10 seconds left to go.

The MJ that beat Barboza vs the Pettis that beat Melendez would be interesting. I'm leaning towards Pettis by sub but either could take a decision. The wild card is that MJ never fought 5 rounds.

If Johnson chose to go with a Clay Guida type fight plan, I would pick him to win a decision over Pettis, although Pettis is very dangerous and offensive off of his back.

I thought you meant Bermudez lol

Back