Who's the greatest NBA point guard?

Who's the greatest NBA point guard?

• Total voters
200.gif

Calm down. The 3PT% last year was a paltry 2.1% better than in 1993, and overall FG% was lower because they took so many of those.
3s today aren’t just spot shooters with set feet. Those stats mean nothing. Hit the court homeboy.

3s today aren’t just spot shooters with set feet. Those stats mean nothing. Hit the court homeboy.
Wow. So much ignorance about shooting packed into so few sentences.

But, tabling that, you'r wrong, because contrary to your logic, here, it's actually set shooting where the NBA made the largest gain since 1993. The average FT% went up 4.2% during that same period.

But, tabling that, you'r wrong, because contrary to your logic, here, it's actually set shooting where the NBA made the largest gain since 1993. The average FT% went up 4.2% during that same period.

again, shooting from a place with your feet planted is different then rolling out to a 3 and your mechanics aren’t stationary

just shut the hell up, you look at stats and don’t understand how those stats are made

It's spelled you're.
Wow.
All future arguments invalid sorry bud.

again, shooting from a place with your feet planted is different then rolling out to a 3 and your mechanics aren’t stationary

just shut the hell up, you look at stats and don’t understand how those stats are made
All more complicated tasks in shooting stem from first attaining proficiency in the most basic task of set shooting. If you can't set the table, then there's little point in advancing to the next skill. Anyone who has attendned an elite shooting camp has been taught this. Hell, even many who haven't operated at that level have been taught this. It's fundamental shooting theory.

Even those guys who couldn't shoot back in 1993 learned it. Fancy you never did.

All more complicated tasks in shooting stem from first attaining proficiency in the most basic task of set shooting. If you can't set the table, then there's little point in advancing to the next skill. Anyone who has attendned an elite shooting camp has been taught this. Hell, even many who haven't operated at that level have been taught this. It's fundamental shooting theory.

Even those guys who couldn't shoot back in 1993 learned it. Fancy you never did.
No, you’re wrong. Curry doesn’t have great mechanics. Literally just shows you don’t know shit about basketball.

shooting on the move you don’t get a solid base, therefore your base mechanics aren’t even reliable. Depending on how you support the ball and what foot you plant first changes the mechanics entirely on most of these shots.

in 93, spot shooters would stop n pop. They’d be set up on the wing or relatively wide open. They wouldn’t move off the dribble and step back or fake right and push off the left for a jumper at 3.

the correlation from free throws to standing shots is legislate, but the spacing and movement rarely grants those shots.

there are great FT shooters who shoot terribly from the field, there are also guys who shoot great from the field who are average FT shooters.

Edit; I’ve been at camps with eventual nba players and they’ve always stressed the flow of your shot > the form and mechanics of your shot. This is coming from coaches and players or former players at the highest levels. Nobody sat there and bagged my mechanics or anyones unless their release wasn’t at the top of their shot. If you pushed it (like Curry and Trae do) they’d have a problem with it. Turns out it works for those guys too.

I don’t want to divulge a bunch of personal shit because nobody cares and it sounds try hard. I wasn’t an NBA prospect by any means.

Last edited:
No, you’re wrong. Curry doesn’t have great mechanics. Literally just shows you don’t know shit about basketball.
I never brought up Curry, or his mechanics. However, you're wrong, his overall mechanics are widely praised.
shooting on the move you don’t get a solid base, therefore your base mechanics aren’t even reliable. Depending on how you support the ball and what foot you plant first changes the mechanics entirely on most of these shots.
This is the dumbest shit I've ever read on this forum.
in 93, spot shooters would stop n pop. They’d be set up on the wing or relatively wide open. They wouldn’t move off the dribble and step back or fake right and push off the left for a jumper at 3.
Yes, they would. This is absurdly ignorant of the game as it existed in 1993.
the correlation from free throws to standing shots is legislate, but the spacing and movement rarely grants those shots.

there are great FT shooters who shoot terribly from the field, there are also guys who shoot great from the field who are average FT shooters.
The correlation to strong field shooting from strong free throw shooting is profound.

I never brought up Curry, or his mechanics. However, you're wrong, his overall mechanics are widely praised.

This is the dumbest shit I've ever read on this forum.

Yes, they would. This is absurdly ignorant of the game as it existed in 1993.

The correlation to strong field shooting from strong free throw shooting is profound.

I brought up curry because he’s the reason for longer shots and movement to the outside and he has awful mechanics with shooting. Anyone who praises him is a retard. He’s the best 3 point shooter of all time but that’s not replicable with his form.

You probably can’t even dribble with your left hand lmao

Embiid, Lebron, Luka, Morant, Bradley Beal, and Anthony Edwards are all average FT shooters who have great jumpshots.

shut the hell up

Curry would be my pick, four championships and his offensive efficiency pushes him over the top.

As for trying to compare shooting stats from different eras, you guys are missing an important point. Before the defensive rules were changed you used to be able to hand check people on the outside. It is much more difficult to get open for a shot and get up a good shot when someone has their hand on your hip.

Curry would be my pick, four championships and his offensive efficiency pushes him over the top.

As for trying to compare shooting stats from different eras, you guys are missing an important point. Before the defensive rules were changed you used to be able to hand check people on the outside. It is much more difficult to get open for a shot and get up a good shot when someone has their hand on your hip.
no you really couldn’t, at least not in 1993 like they’re referencing. handchecking has been illegal for much longer than that, but people love misremembering this.

no you really couldn’t, at least not in 1993 like they’re referencing. handchecking has been illegal for much longer than that, but people love misremembering this.

I think you are missing the nuance of the hand checking in the league. It was banned in '79 but that rule was lightly enforced until '95. They cracked down some until '05 when it was banned completely and the rules strictly enforced. Hand checking was a huge part of the game until '05.

I think you are missing the nuance of the hand checking in the league. It was banned in '79 but that rule was lightly enforced until '95. They cracked down some until '05 when it was banned completely and the rules strictly enforced. Hand checking was a huge part of the game until '05.
i don’t think the nuance is very significant. hand checking did initially allow for very light contact with the hand & it was fully abolished in 2004, but it didn’t have much of an effect on the game once fully abolished. the initial ban had much more of an effect. the vast majority of the league scored more points in 2004 as opposed to 2005 with the rule fully in place.

Some serious recency bias here when you got half putting Curry above Magic. Curry is on par with Magic in terms of basketball IQ, slightly above Magic on moving without the ball, and galaxies ahead of him in shooting. Magic is significantly better at every other aspect of the game. Not even close. Magic is GOAT PG, followed by Stockton.

I don't think he was the greatest NBA point guard, but I think it's unfortunate that Isiah gets left out of a lot of these conversations. He was sensational, better than Stockton and Iverson in my opinion (and I'm a Sixers fan). He wasn't very likeable, and his career after his playing days has been a bit of mess, but he was great scorer and playmaker. I also think he could have adapted his game for today's NBA and become a much better three-point shooter than he was.

I don't think he was the greatest NBA point guard, but I think it's unfortunate that Isiah gets left out of a lot of these conversations. He was sensational, better than Stockton and Iverson in my opinion (and I'm a Sixers fan). He wasn't very likeable, and his career after his playing days has been a bit of mess, but he was great scorer and playmaker. I also think he could have adapted his game for today's NBA and become a much better three-point shooter than he was.

I feel there's a reflex to underrate Thomas because the media overrates him. In a world obsessed with team success Thomas being the best player on a team that beat Jordan a few times is going to get him places on all time lists he shouldn't be.

Some serious recency bias here when you got half putting Curry above Magic. Curry is on par with Magic in terms of basketball IQ, slightly above Magic on moving without the ball, and galaxies ahead of him in shooting. Magic is significantly better at every other aspect of the game. Not even close. Magic is GOAT PG, followed by Stockton.
slightly above magic on moving off-ball is ridiculous. magic was as ball-dominant as any guard ever and curry is the best off-ball player in the history of the sport, regardless of position. curry’s handle is also galaxies better than magic’s.

I feel there's a reflex to underrate Thomas because the media overrates him. In a world obsessed with team success Thomas being the best player on a team that beat Jordan a few times is going to get him places on all time lists he shouldn't be.

Isiah is underrated by pretty much everyone nowadays for various reasons. And you should actually try to watch the Pistons instead of basing your thoughts 30+ years later on Michael Jordan. It was a great time in history, you’d find yourself enjoying it.

ridiculous. steph is the entire warriors offense. without him, they’re a top 3 pick in the lottery and the worst offense in the league. diddler malone by himself could have carried the jazz to the playoffs. stockton’s entire legacy is built on having two nba all-time records that really only exemplify what is accomplishable when you don’t get injured and play for 20 years. does he deserve credit for reaching that goal? sure, but as an overall basketball player, he’s not touching the all time greats

If being a John Stockton were as easy as work ethic, consistency, and staying injury-free, we would see a dozen guys putting up 15/15/3 every season. But we’re not, because Stockton was clearly elite, both in terms of his career, and individual seasons. He’s second only to Magic in running an offense, IMO.

Last edited:
Back