Who's the worst #1 overall draft pick in sports?

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I thought Sam Bowie, but he was drafted #2 in 1984. Probably the worse #2 overall draft pick in NBA history. When you consider Michael Jordan came in 3rd pick. Olajuwon was first overall.

What a weird feeling for Sam Bowie.

So who's the worst 1st overall pick in sports?

1*PyKfQg56DqvuzVMm8YjEWg.jpeg

Daigle is up there.
Drafted first and said that he is happy to be drafted first because people dont remember nr 2's.

Nr 2 in 93 draft was Chris Pronger who ended up having HoF career while Daigle had 2 seasons where he barely broke 50 points.

Jarmarcus russell

Ik Darko Miličić wasn't the first pick he was #2 but imagine being drafted ahead of Carmelo, d Wade, Chris Bosh etc

Daigle is up there.
Drafted first and said that he is happy to be drafted first because people dont remember nr 2's.

Nr 2 in 93 draft was Chris Pronger who ended up having HoF career while Daigle had 2 seasons where he barely broke 50 points.

And Paul Kariya was 4th

I would say Ryan Leaf but if memory serves Manning went before him.. tho, there was srs debate as to who would go 1st between them prior to the draft.

So I’ll say JaMarcus Russell

Jarmarcus russell

Ik Darko Miličić wasn't the first pick he was #2 but imagine being drafted ahead of Carmelo, d Wade, Chris Bosh etc

Jawalrus.
Thing is the Raiders needed a QB and the only other realistic option was Brady Quinn. 07 was a terrible draft class for QBs. Like I haven't even heard of some of these guys.

JaWalrus
Brady Quinn
Kevin Kolb
John Beck
Drew Stanton
Trent Edwards
Isiah Stanback
Jeff Rowe
Troy Smith
Jordan Palmer
Tyler Thigpen

And keep in mind, LSU (JaWalrus' team) had just destroyed ND (Quinn's team) in the Sugar Bowl.

Last edited:
Looking at that list I can see how the raiders took JaMarcus. Not gonna lie I thought he was going to be good never thought how bad he would be.

Thing is the Raiders needed a QB and the only other realistic option was Brady Quinn. 07 was a terrible draft class for QBs. Like I haven't even heard of some of these guys.

JaWalrus
Brady Quinn
Kevin Kolb
John Beck
Drew Stanton
Trent Edwards
Isiah Stanback
Jeff Rowe
Troy Smith
Jordan Palmer
Tyler Thigpen

And keep in mind, LSU (JaWalrus' team) had just destroyed ND (Quinn's team) in the Sugar Bowl.

This doesn’t make JaMarcus not a bust. Should have selected Calvin Johnson or AP -there were tons of questions about QB going into that draft, it was known it was a down year. Meanwhile generational talent like CJ and AP were right there.. hell even Joe Thomas was mentioned as a generational OL talent going into that draft.

No excuses, the Raiders fucked up plain and simple on that one bud, is what it is.. as a Bears fan I know a thing or two about fucking up in the draft with QB.. or just fucking that position up in general lol

It’s not about Jamarcus not being qualified for the pick. He was and they needed him. It’s the fact that he held out for more money as a rookie, got a guaranteed payday and literally never tried again. He practically scammed the NFL out of $40 million. It was an unbelievable hustle.

Sam Canford literally made the NFL put a cap on rookies.

Honorable mention to the Madres drafting Matt Bush in 2004

Mark Appell was drafted by the *stros first overall and never made it passed Triple A.

Anthony Bennett averaged 4 points and 3 rebounds lmao.
To be fair the Angels called him up a few weeks ago.

Brien Taylor was supposed to be the shit when the Yankees drafted him first in 1991. Then while still in the minors a couple years later he blew out his shoulder getting into a fight, had major surgery, was never the same and had to retire before reaching the bigs.

Back