Who's the worst #1 overall draft pick in sports?

Olowokandi had a 9-yr career that was only abbreviated at the end by his relentless physical troubles (knee injuries, back injuries, foot injuries, abdominal tears, groin tears, severe hernia). It's why, disappointing as they were for a #1 pick, neither is a serious candidate for this thread's question. But they belong in the same breath. Olowokandi had over 4,100 career points and 3,400 career rebounds, and was 3 shy of 700 career blocks. Kwame had ~100 fewer career points and rebounds, each, with about 70 more blocks. They're roughly identical in terms of career production, and yet Kwame had the longer career.

There's no comparison to busts like Bennett or Oden.

Unexpectedly, the guy who looks like he is going to settle into the same bracket as Kwame and Candyman is none other than Ben Simmons. Never would have thought he'd finish as one of the Top 10 busts in NBA history.
How long until we can add Zion to that list?

I hope Zion doesn't make this list but it should be noted that he is on the clock. One of the biggest stars coming out of college in years.

The thing that makes the Zion pick egregious is all the warning signs were there dudes BMI was off the charts for a pro athlete even an NBA center(they don't move around nearly as much). I'd have been horribly wrong cause I'd have picked RJ over Morant and that'd be dumb but at least that's an conventional mistake instead of gambling on someone whose a walking injury risk.

Gene Melchiorre was the #1 pick in the 1951 NBA draft but was banned for life before the season started.

And to think, they could have drafted the great Mel Hutchins. <{MingNope}>

i don’t think you can say any #1 pick performed as poorly as anthony bennett did.

2nd overall pick

TBF the number 3 pick in the '86 draft was one of the worst picks ever. Chris Washburn. IIRC the bullets hired someone to wake him up in the morning. That was the entire job, make sure Washburn wakes up before noon.

TBF the number 3 pick in the '86 draft was one of the worst picks ever. Chris Washburn. IIRC the bullets hired someone to wake him up in the morning. That was the entire job, make sure Washburn wakes up before noon.
What was the salary?

I remember Brien Taylor in 1991 for the Yankees. He had massive hype behind him. I don't follow the mlb draft or the minor leagues at all, but he was being billed as potentially the greatest high school pitcher ever. he signed a big contract and never spent a day in the majors

Anthony Bennett comes immediately to mind. And it's not like he was Fultz or somebody like that who most people agreed would be good and then didn't pan out. Nobody could understand what the hell the Cavs were doing with this pick.
I remember that draft well and there was zero consensus on who should go #1. Heck I remember people suggesting Alex Len, trey Burke, Ben mclemore should go 1 lol. It was truly an up in the air draft. Nerleans Noel was probably the closest thing to a consensus #1 that year until he got hurt. Top 9 picks were Bennett, oladipo, Otto porter, Cody zeller, Alex Len, nerleans noel, Ben mclemore, kentavvious Caldwell pope, trey Burke

I think you have to take the lost potential into consideration as to how bad the 1 pick was in which case there were other examples of first picks that resulted in regret than Bennett

Mandarich will always be the worse pick to me because he was the absolute lock of that draft. He still might be the best college offensive lineman ever for his time. He is still a physical freak today at a time when Bruce Smith was a considered an absolute monster at 6'4" 265lbs.

I still remember a run block from the 10 that he drove the defensive lineman downfield and out of the back of the end zone in college. Contrast that with Deion Sanders showing up to the draft with more bling on than basically any rapper ever. It is hysterical to think about who was the ultra safe pick there.

Is it possible to be a worse pick than Mandarich? 5 can't miss prospects and he was the only one to miss.

In the NBA has to be Hasheem Thabeet.

Back