Why Americans cant win International kickboxing

-guerilla-

Founder of the Louisville fight club est..1993
Banned
Reaction score
The United States has a curious habit of inventing its own sports

sometimes this is really interesting and cool Sometimes this is a major handicap

In the sport of kickboxing it has been a devastating decision

Throughout the world kickboxing has a handful of primary Styles but they all revolve around the traditional King from Southeast Asia....
Muay Thai

Instead of adopting the internationally accepted styles America took kickboxing and created its own unique particular style

American kickboxing competitors were required to wear padding Across The Shins and feet and were disallowed from kicking to the legs or throwing knee techniques of any kind

This isn't a minor tweak like removing elbows as they do in Europe and Japan by disallowing leg kicks and knees you radically changed the sport and create a completely different style

It turns out the leg kicking and knee stye was wildly Superior when the two Styles went head-to-head and we learned the hard way

Here's of couple videos of some of the most dominant American kickboxers getting beat by they're leg kicking counterparts

to this day Americas still hasn't produced a dominant kickboxing champion in any weight class

https://www.glorykickboxing.com/fighters

That first fight Roufus vs Kietsongrit was a seriously good fight. Both guys displayed their styles excellently and showed they were both tough as nails with tons of heart.

That first fight Roufus vs Kietsongrit was a seriously good fight. Both guys displayed their styles excellently and showed they were both tough as nails with tons of heart.

yes it was...I think Rick could have beaten him had he checked kicks better and focused on the boxing

Dennis Alexio however! WOW

I am torn as Rick the jet and Stan the man are 2x of my favorite fighters in history!!!

to this day Americas still hasn't produced a dominant kickboxing champion in any weight class
Wrong.
1kZsjMz.gif

So I take it you've never heard of Smokin' Jo Nattawut?

America is more than the US.

Alex Pereira is american.

Post some links guys....

There's something about smoking Joe that makes me think he's from Thailand....

I looked but couldent find a bio....

The United States has a curious habit of inventing its own sports

sometimes this is really interesting and cool Sometimes this is a major handicap

In the sport of kickboxing it has been a devastating decision

Throughout the world kickboxing has a handful of primary Styles but they all revolve around the traditional King from Southeast Asia....
Muay Thai

Instead of adopting the internationally accepted styles America took kickboxing and created its own unique particular style

American kickboxing competitors were required to wear padding Across The Shins and feet and were disallowed from kicking to the legs or throwing knee techniques of any kind

This isn't a minor tweak like removing elbows as they do in Europe and Japan by disallowing leg kicks and knees you radically changed the sport and create a completely different style

It turns out the leg kicking and knee stye was wildly Superior when the two Styles went head-to-head and we learned the hard way

Here's of couple videos of some of the most dominant American kickboxers getting beat by they're leg kicking counterparts

you should've put *Muay Thai & Dutch/ Japanese style kickboxing Americans dominated Full Contact throughout the mid 70s - mid 90s until the sport faded away. Using Rick Roufus as an example when he fought under a rule set that didn't allow lowkicks is meh. There is fighters that fought under WKA sanction events that allowed low kicks like Benny Urquidez, Don Wilson, Maurice Smith, and so on that held their own.

Often boils down to fundamentals. Europe dominated for some time because they put a focus on technical skill instead of flash.

Not really, boxing and MMA aren"t invented by the Americans. The US MMA scene rocks compared to Europe and even Japan. Europe is nobody in MMA except for Russia. Russia is good in all the combat sports, Eastern Europe from Russia, Ukraine to Romania but less than those that continued because of the amateur background, and of course Great Britain and Ireland, are good in boxing, in kickboxing Europe is really the most developed at the moment and probably even than boxing of course (best scenes now are in the Netherlands and Romania regarding promoting, as promotions, but there are top kickboxers everywhere in Europe and Japan, Thailand and China now).

Because they fight like this

you should've put *Muay Thai & Dutch/ Japanese style kickboxing Americans dominated Full Contact throughout the mid 70s - mid 90s until the sport faded away. Using Rick Roufus as an example when he fought under a rule set that didn't allow lowkicks is meh. There is fighters that fought under WKA sanction events that allowed low kicks like Benny Urquidez, Don Wilson, Maurice Smith, and so on that held their own.

good points...

no american has held an international kickboxing belt for any real length of time have they?

I thought kickboxing in USA was primarily from boxing and point karate while japan started their own after coming into contact with muay thai which itself developed from the old striking arts of SEA.
So i would not say that USA took it and watered down the art.

Asa Ten Pow is actually pretty legit.
I'm sure he is but i think his style has inherent flaws and i don't think he'll be a dominant kickboxing champion any time soon.

Last edited:
Back