Why can we not use a Meme as a proper context reply to a post?

MikeMcMann

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This joke post was made in the Roger Stone guilty thread and was getting a lot of traction as a witty reply to the topic.

Videer said:
Is the government stupid enough to think that this man wont break out of Arkham within a week? Likely with help from a trick umbrella.

EJbbkM0W4AIe8Um

I created this meme as a reply to that post

3gi0xh.jpg

and it got deleted by a Mod with the statement that I should be posting that in the meme thread??

That is not some general meme that belongs in the Meme thread. It makes no sense as a Meme without context. It is a very specific reply to a very specific post.

Why is that not allowable?

And if its not allowable is the acceptable altternative,

WHEN HE DOES I'LL BE WAITING
Insert generic Batman Pic here _______

As that would not just be silly but really shortsighted with regards the forum dynamic which DOES involve making light of some situations.

Please explain??

That’s a meme, and it goes in the meme thread which has a sticky.

So another example is this thread here, we see a common thing with this reply by Strychnine.

Is that reply ok but if instead you reply with the Meme/gif below it is not?

Is it the animation in the meme? Meaning if it just a picture that says 'Common Man' would that then be ok?

Help with the rule appreciated.

C'mon man....

<{hfved}>

tenor.gif

What are you confused about? Meme's go in the meme thread. It's been a rule for a while. I'm not saying it makes sense or it's right(or is always enforced), but it is a known rule. That's why your post was deleted.

What are you confused about? Meme's go in the meme thread. It's been a rule for a while. I'm not saying it makes sense or it's right(or is always enforced), but it is a known rule. That's why your post was deleted.
It is? I've checked the rules and did not see that listed? Where did you learn this?

I've literally been seeing countless meme's in all sorts of threads now that I am paying attention. I was going to put them all in this thread with links to ask the Mod's WTF? Do I need to start hitting report so they can purge them all. If it was an empty post, meaning not a contextual reply to the topic in the thread I would get it, but these are direct response posts that are being deleted.

In that very thread there are literally about a dozen or Images being used to tell part of the story including the one I replied to by creating my own meme.

Are we really saying this is OK?

EJbmPFJWoAA5p7s

But this is wrong

3gqsfm.jpg

That this post below that is getting so much positive attention is ok because the words were written separate to the picture?

Keep the words OFF the picture and Mod's are like, ya, good', but put them on the picture and its like 'no, bad'.

Is the government stupid enough to think that this man wont break out of Arkham within a week? Likely with help from a trick umbrella.
EJbbkM0W4AIe8Um

But if instead he posted the same thing this way it would NOT be ok?

3gqsvt.jpg

If you are saying this is unwritten rule then I guess I am saying the mods should reconsider.

I mean why would me posting this be fine

WHEN HE DOES I'LL BE WAITING!
Justice-League-High-Res-28.jpg

But if I run it thru a Meme generator and it looks like this it is suddenly not ok?

3gi0xh.jpg

And since when just reviewing the rules I saw that it said to ask the War Room mod's directly and it gave the list of them, I'll tag them here to get comment.

@Zankou
@Madmick
@Lead
@Ruprech
@computer fogie
@panamaican
@irish_thug

So to answer your question, ya its confusing and maybe something the Mod's should reconsider, and make allowances for Memes that are on topic and a specific reply??

So to answer your question, ya its confusing and maybe something the Mod's should reconsider, and make allowances for Memes that are on topic and a specific reply??

Nah, it's fine the way it is. It's a bit of an unwritten rule(much like OT content is supposed to be posted in the Lounge), sure, but it cuts down on spam posts. It's why the Meme thread was created. It would be silly to ask the mods to interpret every single meme posted, because there will always be an argument that they're on topic, and then you'll just get people bitching about biased mods, and all that shit, which will probably just lead us back to where we are now with them not being allowed to be posted in discussion threads.

It's really no big deal. Post 'em if you want. I doubt you'll get punished for it, unless you start spamming the hell out of them, but just don't be surprised if they get removed from the thread.

Nah, it's fine the way it is. It's a bit of an unwritten rule(much like OT content is supposed to be posted in the Lounge), sure, but it cuts down on spam posts. It's why the Meme thread was created. It would be silly to ask the mods to interpret every single meme posted, because there will always be an argument that they're on topic, and then you'll just get people bitching about biased mods, and all that shit, which will probably just lead us back to where we are now with them not being allowed to be posted in discussion threads.

It's really no big deal. Post 'em if you want. I doubt you'll get punished for it, unless you start spamming the hell out of them, but just don't be surprised if they get removed from the thread.

What your saying makes no sense really.

What is the difference here

EJbbkM0W4AIe8Um

3gqsvt.jpg

How does a mod see one and think 'that is ok' but see the next ans say its not.

Yes the mods already have to scan for things that are not reported and make a determination as to whether it should stay or not. That is part of the job.

And it is simply common sense. They say a picture is worth a thousand words for a reason. They can speak very effectively to a topic. Especially when you put the words on them so no one is guessing.

So while you have every right to think it is wrong to allow memes, I doubt many other would.They are used effectively in all sorts of threads.

I guess the question is whether or not the mod's want us not to start reporting every single meme for removal if they agree with your position??

If the line is 'yes you can do the first all day long, just keep the words SEPARATE from the picture' that is just silly, imo.

I don't know if I have to bump this to Admins of the forum?? It says in the rules of the forum itself if you need a rule clarified or have a question, ask the mod's of the thread.

So i'll try this again with the mods hoping to get an answer to the OP

@Zankou
@Madmick
@Lead
@computer fogie
@panamaican
@irish_thug

And not to throw Pan under the bus, but I guess I am, but here is a post here where he is using a relevant meme, just as I did, to directly respond to the topic being discusses.

If there is a distinction between what he did and what makes his allowable and what I did and why its not please explain so I can adjust.

@HereticBD, since you have been trying to make the 'against' argument.

Last edited:
Can anyone help me figure out why it won't let me reply to other users on a thread? Was working fine but just stopped letting me reply, it wont even show the option to reply or quote either. Please help lol

Can anyone help me figure out why it won't let me reply to other users on a thread? Was working fine but just stopped letting me reply, it wont even show the option to reply or quote either. Please help lol
You're under the cap on contribution for new members so unless you're trying to reply to a locked thread, can you confirm the problem is explicitly that the Reply text (bottom right) is not unresponsive but rather not page-loading at all? Also, try for me changing your theme (i.e., forum skin) and/or browser and see if that corrects the issue.

It doesn't load at all I cant even reply to your message on here I have to just reply to thread

This is bullshit. Memes should be a viable option as a reply in all threads, not just the meme thread. It was ok before, so what changed? New mods? New owner?

Memers are no longer welcome here

Go back to 4chan you nerds

Back