Why did MMA/Kickboxing lose popularity in Japan?

So what do you think it will take to make MMA big in Japan again and do you think that will happen?

I think it is what it is.

I really don't see any massive up rise to compete with someone like the UFC. I don't see that for any org. I think the best you'll get is more or less Rizin with maybe doing a few more shows a year than currently.

Remember JMMA caters to Japanese people and market. Pride even did this but what brought other countries in was the vast talent they had from around the world. Today that talent isn't really available to them on that level because the revenue isn't there to support it on a wide scale and never will be.

About kickboxing i think the hype died when Masato and Kyotaro stopped.

You can believe the Yakuza/Italian Mafia/Juicy Smollet/Lori Loughlin/Jeffrey Epstein fairy tale or the more likely answer is lack of generational homegrown Japanese stars. Sakuraba was finished and they had no one to replace him a the higher weight classes and Masato and Genki Sudo also retired.

Same thing happened back in the 70s when the great Tadashi Sawamura retired from kickboxing, Up till that point kickboxing was huge on Japanese network TV but once he retired it died and didn't come back till K-1 in the nineties.

So what do you think it will take to make MMA big in Japan again and do you think that will happen?

Combination of UFC eroding and a Michael Jordan like Japanese MMA talent.

One of the reasons Pride took off in the first place was because boxing lobby guy Senator McCain and the boxing Italian Mafia (if you want to go with that Yakuza angle) took the UFC off US cable TV which killed the UFC. Without the PPV money the UFC didn't have cash to pay their top fighters. So top star Ken Shamrock left for the WWF/WWE. Pride/Japan was able to fill that void by outpaying the UFC for the top fighters.

Also, The original Rorion Gracie owned UFC was a 3 hour infomercial for Gracie Jiu Jitsu. It was carefully crafted and the booker, Rorion hand picked opponents for Royce. Guys like Sambo's Gokor Chivchanhan who lived right in Los Angeles were kept out. Once Gracie Jiu Jitsu had made it's point and Rorion sold his shares, the original purpose of the organization was gone and without cable it was going in a rudderless direction. With Pride the original purpose was to show that Strong Style Pro Wrestling was superior to Gracie Jiu Jitsu and all other forms of marital arts. With K-1, it was to show that Kyokushin Karate/Seido Kaikan was the superior striking form. That didn't work out too well with the exception of Andy Hug but K-1 had an open field unlike Rorion's hand picked field.

In terms of what it will take:

The first condition UFC declining:

The UFC has really fallen off since the Ferttitas sold and went into the NFL. They also made the huge mistake of letting Connor McGregor run the show which has watered down the sport for any show that lacks Conor McGregor. The new owners are clueless on how to create stars or build hype. Dana White is the only thing that is keeping the thing together right now but I could see him leave to start his own organization. It's just not the same product that it was under Ferttita/Dana.

The second condition Japanese generational star:

I think we will eventually see one. It will probably be some hybrid hungry Japanese fighter that is half Japanese and Half African or Eastern European or Middle Eastern like Rui Hachimura is doing for Japan in the NBA.

I think it is what it is.

I really don't see any massive up rise to compete with someone like the UFC. I don't see that for any org. I think the best you'll get is more or less Rizin with maybe doing a few more shows a year than currently.

Remember JMMA caters to Japanese people and market. Pride even did this but what brought other countries in was the vast talent they had from around the world. Today that talent isn't really available to them on that level because the revenue isn't there to support it on a wide scale and never will be.

Also I believe Jiri prochazka who are their best lhw at the moment can't compete with any top 10 lhw, not against someone like Nikita Krylov or Anthony Smith

Back in 1999 Pancrase and Pride brought a huge roster of Lhw such as Bas Rutten, Guy Mezger and Semmy Schilt (from Pancrase)

From Rings they got Fedor Emelianenko and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Back then it was not that huge salary, today Rizin will not be ready to pay 10,000$+10,000$ for every lhw or he as Ufc

Back then it was maybe 5000$+5000$ for a pride debut

Also in Japan they hade Hidehiko Yoshida and Nagoya Ogawa as hw and they gave a challenge against foreigners. Today there are no hw that can compete with foreigners except Satoshi Ishii who has more or less left Japan for eternity since he is now a Croatian citizen

So I guess the only way Rizin can grow is to make a huge 125 lbs division that can compete against Ufc roster

Today i can see Horiguchi best Henry Cejudo if it goes on the feet

Same thing happened back in the 70s when the great Tadashi Sawamura retired from kickboxing, Up till that point kickboxing was huge on Japanese network TV but once he retired it died and didn't come back till K-1 in the nineties.

Interesting. Tadashi sawamura's flashy kickboxing career exactly martches with Vietnam war in timeline.

While US troops fought against Vietcong, Japanese martial artists were combating their own indochinese enemies in the ring.

Kickboxing has always been a fairly popular combat sport in Japan since the late 60s. The reason why it's wasn't called muey thai is the same reason "manila envelope" would not sell in the US market. It is a sport that was originated and associated with the developing country and Japan that was on its way to join world's greatest economy/industry/massculture in the latter half of the 70s naturally found herself unfit in the insect eaters' genre.

By the time of gulf war, UWF (led by a Korean wrestler) revived kickboxing and kyokushin 3rd generation standouts reemerged to the surface stressing their presence as the best fighting style. (Mike Tyson had the first overseas title defense at Tokyo dome in 1988. Mas Oyama was interviewed while the prime champ was in Japan. "I would be surprised if Tyson lasted 3 minutes with my boy" Oyama said.) Mutually contributed new saga involving UWF and full contact karate fighters became extremely popular among martial arts fans which helped the birth of k-1 in 1993.

The original k-1 was planned as UWF vs strikers around the world because that had been the draw in the UWF events

Combination of UFC eroding and a Michael Jordan like Japanese MMA talent.

One of the reasons Pride took off in the first place was because boxing lobby guy Senator McCain and the boxing Italian Mafia (if you want to go with that Yakuza angle) took the UFC off US cable TV which killed the UFC. Without the PPV money the UFC didn't have cash to pay their top fighters. So top star Ken Shamrock left for the WWF/WWE. Pride/Japan was able to fill that void by outpaying the UFC for the top fighters.

Also, The original Rorion Gracie owned UFC was a 3 hour infomercial for Gracie Jiu Jitsu. It was carefully crafted and the booker, Rorion hand picked opponents for Royce. Guys like Sambo's Gokor Chivchanhan who lived right in Los Angeles were kept out. Once Gracie Jiu Jitsu had made it's point and Rorion sold his shares, the original purpose of the organization was gone and without cable it was going in a rudderless direction. With Pride the original purpose was to show that Strong Style Pro Wrestling was superior to Gracie Jiu Jitsu and all other forms of marital arts. With K-1, it was to show that Kyokushin Karate/Seido Kaikan was the superior striking form. That didn't work out too well with the exception of Andy Hug but K-1 had an open field unlike Rorion's hand picked field.

In terms of what it will take:

The first condition UFC declining:

The UFC has really fallen off since the Ferttitas sold and went into the NFL. They also made the huge mistake of letting Connor McGregor run the show which has watered down the sport for any show that lacks Conor McGregor. The new owners are clueless on how to create stars or build hype. Dana White is the only thing that is keeping the thing together right now but I could see him leave to start his own organization. It's just not the same product that it was under Ferttita/Dana.

The second condition Japanese generational star:

I think we will eventually see one. It will probably be some hybrid hungry Japanese fighter that is half Japanese and Half African or Eastern European or Middle Eastern like Rui Hachimura is doing for Japan in the NBA.
Some 'inaccuracies' there...

> Pride (& the Japanese scene as a whole) did more scoutin´ in essential countries like Brazil or Russia.

Some key players (Volk [Rings] for instance> Russia...or Antonio Inoki (who spent his childhood in...Brazil)with the Ivan Gomes experience in the 1970s, or Frederico Lapenda [WVC]or Sergio Batarelli [IVC] > Brazil):...

...were involved and made the transition to the Japanese scene easier.

Sometimes, Pride would even send some dudes [Quadros, and another one, cant recall his name now...) who would work [judgin´] @ ringside (IVC events)...

> "Also, The original Rorion Gracie owned UFC was a 3 hour infomercial for Gracie Jiu Jitsu. It was carefully crafted and the booker, Rorion hand picked opponents for Royce."

See:

If we are 2 believe Art Davie´s book ['Is It Legal?']:
1- Horion can hardly be called 'co-creator': he had no faith in this new business, and Art had to insist many times, Horion would even duck the subject. Horion was more interested in openin´ BJJ academies, and usin´ some [BS] Academy challenges to promote his vision.

2- People misunderstand UFC´s (or Pride´s) beginnin´...
The 1st events were 1st and foremost about buildin´ a new market.

The [US] market was expectin´ somethin´according to the narrative built through US & Hong Kong movies: the [perceived] legit and lethal MA were kung fu, karaté, kenpo, boxing etc... not BJJ, JJJ, Luta Livre,Wrasslin´or Catch Wrasslin´.

And this was what the TV dudes/American audience were expectin´.

3- About the roster:

Ken was [rightfully] a legit favourite too, and even Art Davie (BJJ student by then) admitted in his book that even though Horion was very self-confident/arrogant about a probable Hoyce victory, Ken could realistically be seen as a legit threat:

" As dismissive as the Gracies were of all other fighting styles, I knew that Rorion took Shamrock very seriously, and felt that he could be his brother’s toughest opponent. He didn’t tell me much about Royce’s week of training in their
Executive Tower Inn hotel suite, but Rorion did say that Rickson had special drills that he was putting Royce
through, so as to be ready for Shamrock"]

Meanwhile, we´re talkin´ here about a rookie Org. in a brand new unsure market (nobody believed it would work... which explains the name of the book...).
The roster was built accordin´ to realistic expectations &... finances...

> About who picked the roster:

"I wondered to myself what Rorion would have said if I told him that I wanted someone from a rival
Brazilian jiu-jitsu lineage
in the field of 16 fighters.
I didn’t dare, but I had no doubt Rorion would have dismissed their style as worthless as well. Such was the self-confidence that surrounded the mystique of the unbeatable Gracies."

From Hoyce´s side, he was a kid, willin´2 face anybody, careless [see the episode at his gym, b4 UFC 1, when he rolled with Nick Baturin [sambo])

In the book, ya can acknowledge that it´s Davie, not Horion, who had all the contacts in the American scene & did all the scoutin´.

"I wasn’t sure how a sumo wrestler would do in a real fight, but the sheer audacity of putting one in the tournament got to me. When I ran the idea by Rorion, he didn’t know what to make of
it, but said, “Hey, the old man grappled to a draw with Wladek Zbyszko (the famous Polish strongman and wrestler). He weighed 280 lb. So, why not?”

"I realized more than ever that my job was to get the best of the best, provided they didn’t live in the financial stratosphere"

"... keep Rorion updated at our weekly Friday meetings on what fighters I had signed or
was pursuing. His attitude was always the same:
“Whatever you think Arturo.

"Another boxing trainer told me, “No rated heavyweight is going to waste his time on that shit.”
, even though I didn’t say this to Rorion.
I simply had to have a boxer.
Thinking al in connecting me with various heavyweight boxers.
Cruiserweights are forever stuck in a boxing financial dead zone, as they’re seen as not as fast and
exciting as the smaller guys and not as powerful and awesome as the heavyweights. So you could
have a great career in this weight class, and still not reap the rewards of fame and fortune. And this was Jimmerson in a nutshell. His record was 29-5, he was on a 15-fight winning streak, a
legit top-10 cruiserweight."

"Between his Olympic triumphs, Karelin had captured three straight world championships. But
penetrating the bureaucracy of Russia to bring their sports hero to Denver seemed about
as likely as getting Tyson an early release from prison just so he could fight for us."

"I figured fuck it; I have Shamrock, and while he’s not a straight wrestler, the guy
knows how to grapple. So, I moved on."

> "Once Gracie Jiu Jitsu had made it's point and Rorion sold his shares, the original purpose of the organization was gone"

Inaccurate: Horion was forced 2 sell his shares, was Davie who insisted & Horion didnt like it, to say the least (their relationship was never the same after that)...

Last edited:
You can believe the Yakuza/Italian Mafia/Juicy Smollet/Lori Loughlin/Jeffrey Epstein fairy tale or the more likely answer is lack of generational homegrown Japanese stars. Sakuraba was finished and they had no one to replace him a the higher weight classes and Masato and Genki Sudo also retired.

Really though you look at Pride and K-1 and they were not built on Japanese dominance, Sakuraba was not at the top of the sport after 2001 and Yoshida was never at the top of the sport yet Pride did consistently well for years. Really the backbone of Pride and K-1 were guys like Wanderlei, Crocop, Fedor, Nog, etc and Hug, Hoost, Aerts, etc and MMA loosing so much talent so quickly had a big effect. A native fighter could get an extra boost on casual interest but they weren't the ones supporting the entire thing.

Part of the problem there I would say is that MMA in Japan wasn't run to get maximum profit as a niche sport, it was dependant on massive TV audiences and crowds with the best paid fighters depending on cashing in on their very high level of exposure doing endorsements/adverts. The UFC even at its most popular is still much more of a niche sport in the US but PPV and premium TV deals mean its a niche sport with money.

Personally I suspect as well that a lot of the issue with Pride was that it was locked in a PR war with FEG, the negative stories happened shortly after Pride beat FEG on NYE for the first time and I wouldn't be supprised if the magazine running them had some links to them on the media group they worked with. A lot of in fighting ended up with FEG being king of the ashes before succumbing to its own dodgy dealing.

Some 'inaccuracies' there...

> Pride (& the Japanese scene as a whole) did more scoutin´ in essential countries like Brazil or Russia.

Some key players (Volk [Rings] for instance> Russia...or Antonio Inoki (who spent his childhood in...Brazil)with the Ivan Gomes experience in the 1970s, or Frederico Lapenda [WVC]or Sergio Batarelli [IVC] > Brazil):...

...were involved and made the transition to the Japanese scene easier.

> "Also, The original Rorion Gracie owned UFC was a 3 hour infomercial for Gracie Jiu Jitsu. It was carefully crafted and the booker, Rorion hand picked opponents for Royce."

See:

If we are 2 believe Art Davie´s book ['Is It Legal?']:
1- Horion can hardly be called 'co-creator': he had no faith in this new business, and Art had to insist many times, Horion would even duck the subject. Horion was more interested in openin´ BJJ academies, and use some [BS] Academy challenges to promote his vision.

2- People misunderstand UFC´s (or Pride´s) beginnin´...
The 1st events were 1st and foremost about buildin´ a new market.

The [US] market was expectin´ somethin´according to the narrative built through US & Hong Kong movies: the [perceived] legit and lethal MA were kung fu, karaté, kenpo, boxing etc... not BJJ, JJJ, Luta Livre,Wrasslin´or Catch Wrasslin´.

And this was what the TV dudes/American audience were expectin´.

3- About the roster:

Ken was [rightfully] a legit favourite too, and even Art Davie (BJJ student by then) admitted in his book that even though Horion was very self-confident/arrogant about a probable Hoyce victory, Ken could realistically be seen as a legit threat:

" As dismissive as the Gracies were of all other fighting styles, I knew that Rorion took Shamrock very seriously, and felt that he could be his brother’s toughest opponent. He didn’t tell me much about Royce’s week of training in their
Executive Tower Inn hotel suite, but Rorion did say that Rickson had special drills that he was putting Royce
through, so as to be ready for Shamrock"]

Meanwhile, we´re talkin´ here about a rookie Org. in a brand new unsure market (nobody believed it would work... which explains the name of the book...).
The roster was built accordin´ to realistic expectations &... finances...

> About who picked the roster:

"I wondered to myself what Rorion would have said if I told him that I wanted someone from a rival
Brazilian jiu-jitsu lineage
in the field of 16 fighters.
I didn’t dare, but I had no doubt Rorion would have dismissed their style as worthless as well. Such was the self-confidence that surrounded the mystique of the unbeatable Gracies."

From Hoyce´s side, he was a kid, willin´2 face anybody, careless [see the episode at his gym, b4 UFC 1, when he rolled with Nick Baturin [sambo])

In the book, ya can acknowledge that it´s Davie, not Horion, who had all the contacts in the American scene & did all the scoutin´.

"I wasn’t sure how a sumo wrestler would do in a real fight, but the sheer audacity of putting one in the tournament got to me. When I ran the idea by Rorion, he didn’t know what to make of
it, but said, “Hey, the old man grappled to a draw with Wladek Zbyszko (the famous Polish strongman and wrestler). He weighed 280 lb. So, why not?”

"I realized more than ever that my job was to get the best of the best, provided they didn’t live in the financial stratosphere"

"... keep Rorion updated at our weekly Friday meetings on what fighters I had signed or
was pursuing. His attitude was always the same:
“Whatever you think Arturo.

"Another boxing trainer told me, “No rated heavyweight is going to waste his time on that shit.”
, even though I didn’t say this to Rorion.
I simply had to have a boxer.
Thinking al in connecting me with various heavyweight boxers.
Cruiserweights are forever stuck in a boxing financial dead zone, as they’re seen as not as fast and
exciting as the smaller guys and not as powerful and awesome as the heavyweights. So you could
have a great career in this weight class, and still not reap the rewards of fame and fortune. And this was Jimmerson in a nutshell. His record was 29-5, he was on a 15-fight winning streak, a
legit top-10 cruiserweight."

"Between his Olympic triumphs, Karelin had captured three straight world championships. But
penetrating the bureaucracy of Russia to bring their sports hero to Denver seemed about
as likely as getting Tyson an early release from prison just so he could fight for us."

"I figured fuck it; I have Shamrock, and while he’s not a straight wrestler, the guy
knows how to grapple. So, I moved on."

> "Once Gracie Jiu Jitsu had made it's point and Rorion sold his shares, the original purpose of the organization was gone"

Inaccurate: Horion was forced 2 sell his shares, was Davie who insisted & Horion didnt like it, to say the least (their relationship was never the same after that)...
Holy shit man
Bringing in the knowledge
Awesome!

Really though you look at Pride and K-1 and they were not built on Japanese dominance, Sakuraba was not at the top of the sport after 2001 and Yoshida was never at the top of the sport yet Pride did consistently well for years. Really the backbone of Pride and K-1 were guys like Wanderlei, Crocop, Fedor, Nog, etc and Hug, Hoost, Aerts, etc and MMA loosing so much talent so quickly had a big effect. A native fighter could get an extra boost on casual interest but they weren't the ones supporting the entire thing.

Part of the problem there I would say is that MMA in Japan wasn't run to get maximum profit as a niche sport, it was dependant on massive TV audiences and crowds with the best paid fighters depending on cashing in on their very high level of exposure doing endorsements/adverts. The UFC even at its most popular is still much more of a niche sport in the US but PPV and premium TV deals mean its a niche sport with money.

Personally I suspect as well that a lot of the issue with Pride was that it was locked in a PR war with FEG, the negative stories happened shortly after Pride beat FEG on NYE for the first time and I wouldn't be supprised if the magazine running them had some links to them on the media group they worked with. A lot of in fighting ended up with FEG being king of the ashes before succumbing to its own dodgy dealing.

So do you think the rise of these paid online streams (like Fite.tv) will have a significant impact.

I recently watched a youtube video about the decline of NASCAR. I'm guessing it's the same with JMMA. JacJeanFinger pointed it out. Younger people aren't interested in MMA I guess. It's like with cars, well at least in my part of the world where a lot of people are obsessed with Japanese 90s cars at one point.

The aftermarket business was booming. I was buying and selling 2nd hand JDM rims and car parts back then and there were never a time that my phone nor my email didn't have any inquiries about my goods. But suddenly, it just stopped. Liked for example, one week I was selling a lot then after 2 weeks, no inquiries whatsoever.

I was wondering what happened. Then after asking around and asking my old customers, almost all of them either got old and have families now and bought vans or trucks and sold their Civics and the younger ones sold theirs and opted to buy smaller cars that was just released like the Mitsubishi mirage, those Toyota kei cars and a lot of small Korean cars. They were not interested in sprucing up their new cars with aftermarket stuff.

That's why my booming side business died.

I should say, I think the JMMA fad had ran its course in Japan.

I hope it gets a second wind.

Japanophile detected.
ive never seen the word japanophile before. def gonna use that

10 years ago a bunch of japanophiles on here kept insisting aoki would come to ufc and submit all the ufc's best.

couldn't really watch a lot of fights online in 1999. that explains a lot

So do you think the rise of these paid online streams (like Fite.tv) will have a significant impact.

Honestly I haven't followed things closely but I'm guessing that overall Japan is still much less of a PPV and premium TV culture than the US or even most of Europe that makes it hard for a sport to bring in massive income without massive popularity. Japan in the 00's seems more akin to say the UK in the 1980's with a handful of big networks absolutely dominating the market which in itself raises another issue. Pride wasn't just an org that was on Fuji TV it was an org that was in part run by Fuji TV and subject politics of execs programing choices, a lot of talk at the time was that even without the yakuza story Fuji was considering defunding Pride and it was a good excuse.

I recently watched a youtube video about the decline of NASCAR. I'm guessing it's the same with JMMA. JacJeanFinger pointed it out. Younger people aren't interested in MMA I guess. It's like with cars, well at least in my part of the world where a lot of people are obsessed with Japanese 90s cars at one point.

The aftermarket business was booming. I was buying and selling 2nd hand JDM rims and car parts back then and there were never a time that my phone nor my email didn't have any inquiries about my goods. But suddenly, it just stopped. Liked for example, one week I was selling a lot then after 2 weeks, no inquiries whatsoever.

I was wondering what happened. Then after asking around and asking my old customers, almost all of them either got old and have families now and bought vans or trucks and sold their Civics and the younger ones sold theirs and opted to buy smaller cars that was just released like the Mitsubishi mirage, those Toyota kei cars and a lot of small Korean cars. They were not interested in sprucing up their new cars with aftermarket stuff.

That's why my booming side business died.

I should say, I think the JMMA fad had ran its course in Japan.

I hope it gets a second wind.

Pro wrestling was always very boom and bust in Japan and MMA/K-1 grew out of that kind of environment were the business model was geared to massive mainstream popularity not niche status.

I'm no expert in Japanese culture as a whole but as an outsider I think you could argue theres been something of a shift to the feminine(no judgmental alt-rght insecurity there just an observation) within it that might mean there isn't such a strong place for fightsport having massive popularity.

PRIDE was corrupt, but Japan was fascinated. This seems to have evaporated the moment they realized they were going to get steamrolled by the West.

Where are you getting the idea that Japan doesn't have the finances to support an enormously well-funded org if the sport was that popular? The mean wealth of adults in Japan, in American dollars, is $227K. That's #19 in the world. More importantly, their median wealth is #9 (ahead of the USA). Japan has 127m people, or nearly 40% of the USA's population. In the USA there are at least five sports more commercially popular than MMA.

It's strange because you observe the same phenomenon from fetishists of that culture over here. I remember when all the Japanophiles talked nonstop trash about "fat Americans", and how bad we would get trashed by Japan in Sasuke (Ninja Warrior). Well, it picked up here, several years later Team America went to compete against Team Japan, and utterly humiliated them. Suddenly Japanophiles stopped talking about Ninja Warrior all the time.

It isn't' so much about the mean wealth of adults in Japan as it is tapping into that wealth in that culture. US more so than any other country in the world has very a lopsided view on disposal income. Which is big reason these massive sports can succeed here. I like many people know people that spend thousands every year on season tickets to their favorite NFL team yet are behind on their electric bill or whatever. That way of thinking in the US runs rampant across the country. I know quite a bit people living in various countries in Europe for example and many think it's insane that in America we basically dine out multiple times a week.

I don't believe there is much more that can be done in Japan with MMA. A lot of it is what your talking about, the UFC has won the war world wide on MMA. If anyone is out there searching for the best that the sport of MMA has to offer their going to find the UFC. So if Japanese have this complex of having to be best they now know they aren't in MMA.

MMA supporting community in Japan was built among Ultraman generation (those who were born in mid 50s - mid 70s) and they grew out of it by the arrival of new century.

Since fetal weaponry were strictly banned, they developed a collective parallel wonderland where every possible fightfight hypothesis was routinely discussed. "Kickass" was the biggest concern for male population from this Ultraman generation.

Late 70s to early half of 80s was the hardest era when Japan was an extension of "basketball diaries" episodes. After communist student's violence slowly left the country, it was replaced by uncontrollable street fights and teen gang conflicts. "Who is the toughest man?" "What's the most effective martial arts?" They would talk on and on while having no military functions.

Ultraman generation's overgrown dreamers realized that they were wasting their precious time when Bob Sapp, an untrained NFL dropout destroyed seasoned martial art champions one by one in a dominating performance.

this is interesting. it seems east asians are prone to mystiscism when it comes to fighting. just look at how the samurai have been elevated to too godlike status when realistically knights would wreck any samurai.

Back