Why don't we see the rape choke more often?

it's IMO the best way to set-up submissions from the mount, but I don't think it's legal.

If it is legal, then for the first time ever I think Systeman00b may have made a halfway decent point.

Those rape chokes didnt finish the fight.............. the fucking bombs did.

I thought that any choking action is illegal in grappling (and also in the UFC if I recall), but controlling with an open "throat hold" was fine.

Either way, it is not likely to be added to my training.

It didnt look like wand or ninja were using it to choke, it looked like they were holding his head in place to hit him.

Against a trained fighter, i dont think you would be able to keep your grip to choke them

The choke itself comes from the finger side of the hand for the most part, and uses a strong pushing action at a minute angle of the neck. Check the differences of the two, Wand wasn't choking, while Ninja was (regardless of weather it was choke or punches what put Tony out.)

You don't just grab the throat and squeeze.

Its not even much of a choke. Its an innate thing people do to measure distance for power punches. Its purely control and distance measuring. Can't really understand all the attention its been getting lately. Its been around for a LONG time.

Besides, I always thought years back that the 'rape choke' was when somebody usually has someone elses back and hey place their hand over their mouth and sometimes nose from behind, smothering them.

I thought that any choking action is illegal in grappling (and also in the UFC if I recall), but controlling with an open "throat hold" was fine.

You can't squeeze the throat, but you can extend your hand in an "L shape" and push it into your opponent's neck while pulling his head down. It's really no different in that regard than any other trach choke (baseball bat, ten-finger, etc.)

IMO, it's usually pretty difficult to get from guard unless you've got long arms, but it's quite effective from mount if you set it up right.

I use it right before I gouge the guys eyes out

Wow... I gotta try that technique!

Personally, I like to do that rip-out-the-throat move a-la Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse. He taught me everything I needed to know about realistic fighting.

-CP

I was wondering, can you put your hand around the neck and not choke, just lean in for stability while pounding?

in all seriousness though, do we really need to call it that? absolutely not. it's in poor taste. it's definitely not helping credibility or mainstream acceptance.

and yeah, i mean, we shouldn't have to cater to the masses, but it'd be great to keep chipping away at the stigma on the sport.

people complain enough with it being bloody and barbaric and blah blah blah, and then you've got a bunch of chinstrapped, tattooed, tapout/affliction-wearing goons not helping things out any.

it's just classless, distasteful, i don't know. pick an adjective.

Since it's apparently necro day I searched for an old Einarr thread but this is the best I've got.

So all you kids today, could you berimbolo out of a well applied rape choke?

Ha. Quality bump.

In all seriousness, regarding the actual so-called rape choke:

Even though it’s illegal in jitz & MMA competition, & regardless of whether one’s motivations to train are primarily self-defense related or not... I do think anyone who studies jiujitsu with any level of seriousness, should invest some time at some point to learn & practice some defenses & counters to it. In an actual violent confrontation, it is by far the most common technique an average untrained attacker will use to try & strangle you from the front.

Even if someone is more concerned with training for other reasons — competitions, fitness, lifestyle etc. — going over a few techniques like these with a training partner once in a while is a good thing for anyone.

And most especially if you do train with any level of self-defense in mind, then you certainly don’t want to be caught offguard with something as basic & common as the hape choke

Back