Why have gamers become so entitled?

Zazen

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I've been gaming for 30 years now and I have never seen the gaming community so entitled as they are now.

Last week we had a Nintendo direct and there were a few interesting games but nothing too major. I think it is safe to say that Japan is less equipped than America to deal with the work at home situation.

Last night we had a state of play that got ripped to shreds by the online community. Personally, I thought it was fine. Sony came out and released a statement previously that the state of play was to focus on game's from June 2020's presentation. I personally loved the FF7R announcement, I'm hyped to go back and play again along with the DLC.

Even outside of these two events there is nonstop bitching about how games should be free, how every game should be AAA.

Each time an indie is shown people mock it and call it trash yet I find those games to be some of the most creative and fun even over AAA games.

I've never seen this growing up as much, people were grateful for the games they were getting and we had great conversations about games. Now, nothing ever seems to be good enough for people.

What has changed?

Back in the day, people had access to the same magazines showing the same games, so most people looked forward to the same title.

But because of the current age, and the internet, there are games for every type of gamer. You dont show one game, and a group of people are disappointed, that in addition to just the sheer amount of diversity in gaming, means that there is a propensity to disappoint plenty of people and plus gaming is mainstream + growing rapidly year on year.

I also think people are in an echo chamber when browsing the internet. Something that seems like a big deal to you, is probably not even a big deal to a majority of people.

Back in the day, people had access to the same magazines showing the same games, so most people looked forward to the same title.

But because of the current age, and the internet, there are games for every type of gamer. You dont show one game, and a group of people are disappointed, that in addition to just the sheer amount of diversity in gaming, means that there is a propensity to disappoint plenty of people and plus gaming is mainstream + growing rapidly year on year.

I also think people are in an echo chamber when browsing the internet. Something that seems like a big deal to you, is probably not even a big deal to a majority of people.

That's true, the internet is mainly a negative place. Its just upsetting that it seems more difficult to find people online to have a positive conversation with. Nearly every forum is nothing but complaining. I once posted on a forum called gamefaqs but that place is so damn negative. Every game sucks, its like why even play video games in the first place if it makes people feel this way.

Because I'm a grumpy old fuck who was lucky enough to get his hands on a PS5 and I want to play some amazing games on it. Not fucking Oddworld or PS4 games.

I'm not 12 and I don't own a Sega Genesis. Earthworm Jim isn't going to cut it anymore.

Last edited:
It's been sort of a gradual downhill spiral. Back in the LAN community days most gamers just loved games. If they didn't like one, oh, well. No big deal.

I think internet culture is the biggest reason, combined with gaming becoming far more popular, which results in more people taking an attitude that they get more cred by being so unsatisfied with everything. Could just be a generational thing too. Younger generations tend to be more spoiled and entitled.

Developers have done nothing for us lately, they should be ashamed.

Man children who lack emotional intelligence.

Even look at people shitting on the newest PS+ lineup because they’re not getting a AAA PS5 game for free.

It’d be like spending $5/year for a movie subscription. One month they give you a free ticket to one of the biggest blockbusters and your reaction is “It’s not in IMAX 3D?!?! Are you fucking kidding me?! Fuck you you greedy pigs!”

Meanwhile you have the option of getting half price off the IMAX ticket if you’d like.

It really is insanity.

Its a byproduct of four things;
  1. Generation has now grown up with having instant gratification. Not comprehending the required development cycle of mobile compared to other platforms. Nor do they grasp the sheer swath of garbage on the mobile app market.
  2. Social media usage has had the exact opposite effect than intended. Instead its marginalizing people into groups that share their opinions. While at the same time giving those with irrational thought processes a platform for mass consumption.
  3. Game developers eliminating mod support in their titles. This shrinks the game shelf life and places all feature implementation onto the game developer.
  4. Console makers(except Nintendo) inability to innovate. Instead designing their devices as inferior Pc's with a user base fixated on 2005'sh console design ideas.

Because they watch influencers who are in their 30s but sound like high school kids when talking about games.

I've been gaming for 30 years now and I have never seen the gaming community so entitled as they are now.

Last week we had a Nintendo direct and there were a few interesting games but nothing too major. I think it is safe to say that Japan is less equipped than America to deal with the work at home situation.

Last night we had a state of play that got ripped to shreds by the online community. Personally, I thought it was fine. Sony came out and released a statement previously that the state of play was to focus on game's from June 2020's presentation. I personally loved the FF7R announcement, I'm hyped to go back and play again along with the DLC.

Even outside of these two events there is nonstop bitching about how games should be free, how every game should be AAA.

Each time an indie is shown people mock it and call it trash yet I find those games to be some of the most creative and fun even over AAA games.

I've never seen this growing up as much, people were grateful for the games they were getting and we had great conversations about games. Now, nothing ever seems to be good enough for people.

What has changed?

remakes, remasters, mindless sequels, loot boxes, mtx, p2w, overpromise/underdeliver, day 1 patches, game releases that are basically beta testing for $60... in general, the devs got lazy/greedy and take advantage of the % of gamers that will buy almost anything. and that's not getting into the insertion of politics/etc to push bs narratives...

there's very little innovation/creativity. ffs, the most anticipated console release is a remake of a ps3 game. a diablo 2 remaster has more hype/anticipation than diablo 4.

personally, i like indies. but i'm also sick of indies basically meaning graphics should look like they're from 1980-1992

What truly kills me about the fans, is that they'll bitch and moan about damn near everything, but still line up like Lemmings to support the companies they constantly bitch about.

I hear people really want a "Star Wars: Battlefront 3". Why? Two scoops of shit in your mouth wasn't enough? Boy, they're really teaching the evil empire EA a lesson by constantly eating their shit. And then they wonder why they don't change any of their practices.

Oh', and then there's the hilarious complaints over micro-transactions in games, from some of the same people who have spent hundreds if not thousands of real life dollars for some "Fortnite" bullshit. Gee, I wonder why they don't take those complaints seriously and continue to fleece people for a bunch of garbage they could give you for free? Real big mystery.

What has changed?

Like you, I have been gaming about 30 years as well. The ONLY complaint i had from those two events is that SquareEnix (or Sony) decided that people that bought the FF7R digitally will be the only ones entitled to a free upgrade from PS4 to PS5...whereas people who bought the disc for the game are left in the dust. This pissed me right off and is the stupidest thing I've seen...and i've seen a lot of stupid stuff.

Other than that, I enjoyed the State of Play.

Man children who lack emotional intelligence.

Even look at people shitting on the newest PS+ lineup because they’re not getting a AAA PS5 game for free.

It’d be like spending $5/year for a movie subscription. One month they give you a free ticket to one of the biggest blockbusters and your reaction is “It’s not in IMAX 3D?!?! Are you fucking kidding me?! Fuck you you greedy pigs!”

Meanwhile you have the option of getting half price off the IMAX ticket if you’d like.

It really is insanity.
Going from xbox live to psplus is a breath of fresh air. I'm stoked that I get the ff7 remake for free in March. Go take a look what xbox is getting lol.

Because I'm a grumpy old fuck who was lucky enough to get his hands on a PS5 and I want to play some amazing games on it. Not fucking Oddworld or PS4 games.

I'm not 12 and I don't own a Sega Genesis. Earthworm Jim isn't going to cut it anymore.
Because gamers are the paying customers and are therefore entitled to demand whatever they want and chose not to buy what doesn't meet those standards.
Modern gamers = bunch of retards who like shit games.
Developers have done nothing for us lately, they should be ashamed.
What truly kills me about the fans, is that they'll bitch and moan about damn near everything, but still line up like Lemmings to support the companies they constantly bitch about.

I hear people really want a "Star Wars: Battlefront 3". Why? Two scoops of shit in your mouth wasn't enough? Boy, they're really teaching the evil empire EA a lesson by constantly eating their shit. And then they wonder why they don't change any of their practices.

Oh', and then there's the hilarious complaints over micro-transactions in games, from some of the same people who have spent hundreds if not thousands of real life dollars for some "Fortnite" bullshit. Gee, I wonder why they don't take those complaints seriously and continue to fleece people for a bunch of garbage they could give you for free? Real big mystery.

If you are quoted in this post, thank you for your common sense. You have saved my faith in humanity, as dwindling as it is.

Like you, I have been gaming about 30 years as well. The ONLY complaint i had from those two events is that SquareEnix (or Sony) decided that people that bought the FF7R digitally will be the only ones entitled to a free upgrade from PS4 to PS5...whereas people who bought the disc for the game are left in the dust. This pissed me right off and is the stupidest thing I've seen...and i've seen a lot of stupid stuff.

Other than that, I enjoyed the State of Play.
That wasn’t stated anywhere. Do you have a link that it’s digital only?

That wasn’t stated anywhere. Do you have a link that it’s digital only?

I've only seen that it covers both digital and physical so we're all good there

Back