Why is Fairtex BGV9 not good for sparring?

CodeBreaker

What belt?
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm planning to buy Fairtext BGV9 for my boxing trainings as I've seen reviews they are really good on heavy bags, pads, and focus mitts. Also the thumb placement is great for making fist.

But why is it not recommended for sparring? What's the difference?

I'm planning to buy Fairtext BGV9 for my boxing trainings as I've seen reviews they are really good on heavy bags, pads, and focus mitts. Also the thumb placement is great for making fist.

But why is it not recommended for sparring? What's the difference?
The padding is hard as fuck!
Your sparring partners would hate you

Oh, I thought it would hurt me or anything like that.
If it's on my sparring partner, all good.
Lol good for you. Bad for him!
Although heaps of my gym mates wear gloves that are really hard and use the same gloves for the bag and sparring. I could justify wearing the bvg9s to even if up
Why should they get hit with my soft sparring gloves when they are hitting me with rock hard bag gloves

Although heaps of my gym mates wear gloves that are really hard and use the same gloves for the bag and sparring. I could justify wearing the bvg9s to even if up
Why should they get hit with my soft sparring gloves when they are hitting me with rock hard bag gloves
Exactly.
"protect yourself at all times"

Should I get 14oz or 16oz?

Should I get 14oz or 16oz?
16oz but check if your gym allows them first. They aren't designed for sparring. And you don't really want to piss off your sparring partners.
I love mine (12oz) but i only use them for bag and pads
Bvg6 are the sparring model, I haven't tried them though.
There is a comparison review on here

16oz but check if your gym allows them first. They aren't designed for sparring. And you don't really want to piss off your sparring partners.
I love mine (12oz) but i only use them for bag and pads
Bvg6 are the sparring model, I haven't tried them though.
There is a comparison review on here
yea they are allowed. I'll just use them for mitts and bags.
I'm 5'8, 145 lbs. I usually use 14oz twins. I think 16oz would be too big for me?

The Philippines is a lot like Australia, when I was training in Manila there were people using Cleto Reyes fight gloves for sparring. Its more of 14 - 16oz and you're good even if the gloves are made of cement. BGV9's are great gloves, not so great for your opponent, I wear mine when we spar guys from other gyms though ;)

The Philippines is a lot like Australia, when I was training in Manila there were people using Cleto Reyes fight gloves for sparring. Its more of 14 - 16oz and you're good even if the gloves are made of cement. BGV9's are great gloves, not so great for your opponent, I wear mine when we spar guys from other gyms though ;)
So is 16oz too big for me? Should I go with 14?

I just realized all my main sparring partners are fucked up.
One has BGV9s, one Cleto Reyes, and the other 7 year old Fairtex F-days. All in 16 ozs.
When I bring up how hard all their gloves feel they counter me by saying im wearing 14 oz gloves. But im sparring in winnings.

just throwing it out there that old time sparring gloves incorporated horsehair and were designed solely to be safe for the hands and not the protection of the other, in terms of cuts and bruises.

watching young kids spar with big pillowy gloves... did not teach them defense. taking shots, heads snapping back but feeling no real pain. nowadays everyone uses soft gloves and wears big face-bar headgear. I feel like it should most definitely hurt to get hit during sparring. the defensive wizards of old probably developed that way because getting hit hurt.

just throwing it out there that old time sparring gloves incorporated horsehair and were designed solely to be safe for the hands and not the protection of the other, in terms of cuts and bruises.

watching young kids spar with big pillowy gloves... did not teach them defense. taking shots, heads snapping back but feeling no real pain. nowadays everyone uses soft gloves and wears big face-bar headgear. I feel like it should most definitely hurt to get hit during sparring. the defensive wizards of old probably developed that way because getting hit hurt.

That's true, but here we are talking about sparring in the gym. You want to learn in the gym without taking (or giving) all the cumulative or immediate injury. When it's time for a competitive fight, the gloves (fightgloves) are light and not at all pillowy like some sparring gloves might be.

I like softer gloves for sparring so I can use better technique without injuring the other guy as much, so I don't have to half-ass it (3/4 ass = okay!). I mean I'm already not going full power when sparring so I don't want to have to water it down even more because my gloves are hard, that would make the session even less realistic (for both sides).

If you're using good technique and timing, you don't need or want hard gloves. As soft and protective as possible (without being impractical) will still have as sweet an effect as you could want. Then when you put on the small gloves for an actual fight, that technique you practiced will pay off and go so much farther.

Last edited:
That's true, but here we are talking about sparring in the gym. You want to learn in the gym without taking all the cumulative or immediate damage. When it's time for a competitive fight, the gloves (fightgloves) are light and not at all pillowy like some sparring gloves might be.

the thing is, I think the general consensus is that taking small sustained hits leads to long term brain damage, no? I may sound like an ideologue here, but for sparring in the gym, one should learn to control the power of the punch regardless of types of gloves used. I guarantee you that the general youth boxing community that I've seen across California has kids getting their heads knocked back constantly by soft gloves, as if the child is receiving no damage whatsoever from these blows.

fighting is not for everyone. having a soft fighter spar in pillows then putting him in against 10 oz horsehair gloves is cruel punishment, real bait and switch there. fighting let alone sparring is not for everyone.

the thing is, I think the general consensus is that taking small sustained hits leads to long term brain damage, no? I may sound like an ideologue here, but for sparring in the gym, one should learn to control the power of the punch regardless of types of gloves used. I guarantee you that the general youth boxing community that I've seen across California has kids getting their heads knocked back constantly by soft gloves, as if the child is receiving no damage whatsoever from these blows.

fighting is not for everyone. having a soft fighter spar in pillows then putting him in against 10 oz horsehair gloves is cruel punishment, real bait and switch there. fighting let alone sparring is not for everyone.

Definitely. You still will need to control your shots. Using harder gloves will just cause more grotesque surface/tissue injuries

Even with the soft stuff, you can make people bleed. So yeah. But training with harder gloves doesn't teach anyone to pull their shots any better than softer gloves- that's why I and everyone who spars against someone recommends softer gloves for sparring (especially for beginners, but also for everyone including pros).

The only reason people tend to want harder gloves for sparring is to have "greater effect" on their sparring partners, which is completely unneeded if you're doing your job right in the first place. It's a cheat that robs you of technique and your partner of health. Lose/lose

Last edited:
Definitely. You still will need to control your shots. Using harder gloves will just cause more grotesque surface/tissue injuries

Even with the soft stuff, you can make people bleed. So yeah. But training with harder gloves doesn't teach anyone to pull their shots any better than softer gloves- that's why I and everyone who spars against someone recommends softer gloves for sparring (especially for beginners, but also for everyone including pros).

The only reason people tend to want harder gloves for sparring is to have "greater effect" on their sparring partners, which is completely unneeded if you're doing your job right in the first place. It's a cheat that robs you of technique and your partner of health. Lose/lose

I don't disagree with you at all, I'm just saying it's a double edged sword.

Some douches at the gym just want to hurt you, only cares about themselves lol they deserve what they give!

Back