Why is Mousasi never brought up in GOAT discussions?

He lost every time he was given the opportunity to shine.
He had the opportunity to be Strikeforce LHW champion back in 2010 against Muhammed Lawal but lost to a unanimous decision. He had a majority draw against Keith Jardine in 2011, but got signed to the UFC in 2013.
He won his UFC debut at LHW against Illir Latifi, but lost his MW debut against Lyoto Machida at UFN 36 on Feb 14th 2014.
He beats Mark Munoz, but then gets matched up against Prime Jacare and loses to a third round submission.
In 2015, he finished Dan Henderson and UD'd Costa Philippou, but then got fluke KO'd by Uriah Hall.
Mousasi then goes on an impressive 5 fight winning streak, adding notable fighters such as Thiago Santos, Chris Weidman and Vitor Belfort to his resume.
In 2017, Mousasi gets signed Bellator and that's where his UFC journey comes to an end.
Most recently, in 2019, Mousasi lost his MW championship to Raphael Lovato Jr.

Mousasi lost every time he had to win, that's why he isn't brought up in the goat discussions.
Had Mousasi beat Lawal back in 2010, or Machida back in 2014, history might've been different.

He has longevity and alot of really nice wins that aged well. He never had UFC gold but he had the bellator belt for a good while, he also beat rory who I had really high on the WW all time list. The only blemish that looks bad is his loss to Hall which he avenged.

Is he universally considered a top 3 MW and a Top 10 fighter P4P?

Because he's not in those convos. Mousasi is someone who was the face of every post PRIDE number 2 organization's MW/LHW division. But truth is only reason he could be UFC champ last few years(as his fans love pointing out) is because the killer UFC MW division of the mid 2010s aged out. Couldn't beat Machida, couldn't even beat Jacare who will always be the MW sterotype for a gatekeeper after Bisping got a title shot.

He lost every time he was given the opportunity to shine.
He had the opportunity to be Strikeforce LHW champion back in 2010 against Muhammed Lawal but lost to a unanimous decision. He had a majority draw against Keith Jardine in 2011, but got signed to the UFC in 2013.
He won his UFC debut at LHW against Illir Latifi, but lost his MW debut against Lyoto Machida at UFN 36 on Feb 14th 2014.
He beats Mark Munoz, but then gets matched up against Prime Jacare and loses to a third round submission.
In 2015, he finished Dan Henderson and UD'd Costa Philippou, but then got fluke KO'd by Uriah Hall.
Mousasi then goes on an impressive 5 fight winning streak, adding notable fighters such as Thiago Santos, Chris Weidman and Vitor Belfort to his resume.
In 2017, Mousasi gets signed Bellator and that's where his UFC journey comes to an end.
Most recently, in 2019, Mousasi lost his MW championship to Raphael Lovato Jr.

Mousasi lost every time he had to win, that's why he isn't brought up in the goat discussions.
Had Mousasi beat Lawal back in 2010, or Machida back in 2014, history might've been different.
Inaccurate.
He did win the belt in SF & the GPs in Dream, & obviously Bellator.

This motherfucker has solid wins at HW ffs.
Top 10 MW easily. Top 5 in my book. Arguably close to #1.
Two huge factors are he has over 50 fights, beating even HWs in K1,
And was great at LHW while visibly undersized.

Look at his record. And he got robbed in two of those decision losses.

He's up there but he's not the GOAT. Could have been, but didnt seem to have the desire to be so.

Inaccurate.
He did win the belt in SF & the GPs in Dream, & obviously Bellator.
Yeah, but you need to be blind to deny the fact that he always lost the big fights.
In this day and age, you can't be a GOAT without being a UFC champion. Fedor gets a pass.

could have been goat had he stayed in the UFC

instead he chose to go to bellator and win the belt off someone i've never heard of. And lose the belt to someone i'd never heard of.

Lol- good baseless comeback.
Another sherdog punchline poster that I actually giggle at.
Thank you ( for the laugh).
Seriously, I notice you cause you're all over the place but you cant be right about everything.
I know I'm not but my mma acumen obviously more polished than yours ( sorry ,yo - you still ok in me book)

I dont need your acceptance.

He just lost to a bum the other week

He literally just lost a fight against a guy who'd never beaten a top fighter in his life.

So what? He has fought over 16 years and has 54 fights in MMA. He could lose 10 fights in a row and it wouldn't matter anymore, its not fair to expect him to be in his prime anymore. He already has a great legacy.

My top 3 mw:
- Anderson
- romero
- Henderson

Edit: I know romero never held a belt so maybe put Franklin/Whitaker instead

Top 20 goat: maybe
Top 10 goat: no
Weidman is in the discussion too. Stopped silva's streak (fluke or not he was winning every minute of both fights) defended his belt against a Machida fresh off a good win over Gegard and has been competitive in every L.

Hard to be in the discussion w/o a gold UFC belt...

Because he's a UFC gatekeeper. Always has been.

He can be champ in 2nd tier orgs. That's it.

Not enough killer instinct to be UFC champ.

Yeah, but you need to be blind to deny the fact that he always lost the big fights.
In this day and age, you can't be a GOAT without being a UFC champion. Fedor gets a pass.
Well, ya agreed that it was inaccurate, then ya use the word "always";...

wt.png

@DatSamboKid hit the nail on the fucking head...Moose is a great fighter but he always drops the ball when he's right there at that pinnacle level.

Something else to mention is that he was very "Jekyll & Hyde" where some fights he was out there looking like a killer, and other fights he looked like he was disinterested and was bored and just waiting for the final bell. It's hard to be a fan of a fighter when they go out there and it's obvious they're not fighting at their optimal level.

For the record I'm a big Moose fan and was hoping he would do better in the UFC, but he made his choices and now he's not even the champ in Bellator.

Because he went to Bellator in the prime of his career when he was a fight away from the title da fuck

He would have beat Weidman if they did a rematch, would have beat Rockhold and Jacare (in a rematch imo) and could have beat Yoel or Bobby and been champ and probably defended a couple times and on p4p list...all hypothetical of course but at the time it was only these 5 guys at middleweight. Instead he takes the ‘easier’ route, goes to Bellator, almost loses to schlemenko and now has to fight a bunch of juicy sluts....terrible career move

Moose murders Whittaker. It wouldnt even be close
I like mousasi also
.....murder. ..maybe- may be not but I do like the match up for moose. All these people( and for record, I like whitaker) put these lofty labels on rob cause he beat a SMALLER AND OLDER Jacare. Yoel is a beast( but 42- 41 with stamina issues when fought) and bested him once and many feel Romero beat him in re match.
All of a sudden Robert Whitaker is some legend- goat ????.
Hey, maybe he'll continue to add to his lore and someday I can even come out and give him his just due( which I have absolutely no problem doing). Hes fought twice in 29 months - let's see how Whitaker fairs in the next few years ....let alone any serious longevity. Its always about the flavor of the month in sherdog which makes fan base comical and one of the worse..... and I dont attach whitaker's name to that. Hes proven that much.

I'm with you, though, at end of day.
You know when you're onto something- when you're in the minority of an opinion around here. Its actually quite funny- I call it " all the sheep gathering ".

The only exception is when something " unreasonable is posted" .....and you certainly did not do that.
I've finally learned my lesson and ignored most people who retort me on the career of Gegard Mousasi and there just not educated on timing and circumstances which is sad for a legend like him.

Again- trying to educate some which is actually possible for some who have hit me with " oh- I didnt know that" but futile for most cause they hsve their opinion and they're stubborn about it. That's fine cause most of us are like that.

Anyways at day 75ish of his 90 day negotiation period, he voiced hed fight rockhold OR Whitaker ( I wont gif- it can easily be googled ...f%$^ them).
They went with Rockhold fight ( oh God I wish and this is well after Bisping did not want to give Gegard his earned shot). Mousasi took the initiative ( I should repeat thst). A little bit of cash got in the way and its sad cause mousasi was making his run and DID WANT to stay- go to the tapes. Go to post UFC 210 show ( his last contacted fight).
He also was in prime and still is..... again with the timing and circumstances .
If Bisping wasnt a coward, Mousasi wouldve won title( obviously signed contract to stay) ---- then how does history change for the blind ?

He gets the reasonable bump he was looking for, knocks out Luke and gets title shot which at that time would've been against Whitaker ....actually no, bisping put division on vacation. Bisping lost ,gsp vacated and then there wouldve been rob, Yoel and gegard----- who knows what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back