Why is the Bulgarian split squat so hard?

Feels like one of the most tiring exercises. Nothing pure weight lifting related seems to hit my conditioning like those

I don't find them that bad to be honest, but my goal is to work up to a set of 5 each side with dumbbells equalling my bodyweight. I use it as my main squat these days though so the work capacity is probably there.

It's a full-body, unilateral leg exercise, sets generally last about twice as long so RPE probably higher for most, etc.

I use dumbbells, and generally work in the 5-8 rep/set range(per leg). Tried using a barbell recently and it felt awkward AF.

Great assistance exercise to the squat, good move for athletes, or just for general fitness.

Last edited:
You mean the version with your rear foot elevated ?

Well comparatively to the other most popular unilateral leg pressing movement, the lunge, the bulgarian split squat forces you to really only use one leg and nothing else. While in the lunge wether it's the reverse or forward lunge you're always helping yourself a bit with your other leg.

That's why i only do reverse lunges and not split squats lol. But objectively Bulgarian split squats are better for developing true unilateral leg strength, which itself has better carryover for combat sports (think of the knee drop double leg in wrestling). At least it seems like that to me.

You mean the version with your rear foot elevated ?

Well comparatively to the other most popular unilateral leg pressing movement, the lunge, the bulgarian split squat forces you to really only use one leg and nothing else. While in the lunge wether it's the reverse or forward lunge you're always helping yourself a bit with your other leg.

That's why i only do reverse lunges and not split squats lol. But objectively Bulgarian split squats are better for developing true unilateral leg strength, which itself has better carryover for combat sports (think of the knee drop double leg in wrestling). At least it seems like that to me.
I tend to disagree, I find the rear supported leg still does a fair amount of work.
They are extremely tiring though

I tend to disagree, I find the rear supported leg still does a fair amount of work.

How so ? With the front of my foot on the bench I absolutely cannot press with it. Whereas with reverse lunge my opposite foot is planted firmly on the ground and assists the working leg quite noticeably

How so ? With the front of my foot on the bench I absolutely cannot press with it. Whereas with reverse lunge my opposite foot is planted firmly on the ground and assists the working leg quite noticeably
It does less than a split squat or lunge but it still does a fair bit. Try to keep that rear foot hovering above the bench and see how much weight you can use. The hip flexors on that rear leg definitely get involved.

the bulgarian split squat forces you to really only use one leg and nothing else.

Hmm I don’t think so. Imagine some sort of force plate underneath your rear foot. I think it would register a bunch of force being applied during the concentric portion and show that foot supporting some of the weight.

I think the only way of getting zero assistance would be pistol squats or some other “true” one legged squat.

I’ve been doing some split squats using a trap bar. Easier to regulate the weight. It fucks up my quads, but I think a hard set of 20 back squats would gas me the same or worse.

Last edited:

Everytime I go back to Bulgarian split squats my hip flexors get pretty sore. I assume they're really working hard when my foot is back and on the bench doing everything it can to stabilize me and maintain my balance.

They're one of my fav unilateral movements. I dont find them that difficult as you say. Sure they'll be challenging but not in the way described.

Are you new to unilateral work? Or have issues in flexibility?

Everytime I go back to Bulgarian split squats my hip flexors get pretty sore. I assume they're really working hard when my foot is back and on the bench doing everything it can to stabilize me and maintain my balance.

Out of curiosity, ever try Janda situps before doing split squats? It might help a tad here.

Out of curiosity, ever try Janda situps before doing split squats? It might help a tad here.

Can't say that I have. Honestly I'd put it down to having tight hip flexors in general, especially if I go really low with the split squats or use a bench that's on the higher side of things. I certainly don't stretch or work on mobility as much as I should. I've naturally had good hip and ankle mobility by way of my obsessions with front squats.... but I know that doesn't translate 100% to unilateral work like split squats.

I'll give those a shot though.

Can't say that I have. Honestly I'd put it down to having tight hip flexors in general, especially if I go really low with the split squats or use a bench that's on the higher side of things. I certainly don't stretch or work on mobility as much as I should. I've naturally had good hip and ankle mobility by way of my obsessions with front squats.... but I know that doesn't translate 100% to unilateral work like split squats.

I'll give those a shot though.

The recipricol inhibition may help. I have tight ass hip flexors from work sitting all day sadly.

There are ways to limit that rear leg use when you do them. The height of the object, amount of foot and how far out you are from the object.
I find standing closing with my foot resting lightly to be the best option. I use more rear foot when I lunge out further and try and chase depth.
It feels more like a shrimp squat to be honest.

I am hitting 60 kg (2x30kg dumbells) for 3x3 in my 90% week. I am about 80kg and have been really noticing an overall increase in single leg strength when I get caught in weird positions at BJJ. I am chasing 80kg total for a similar number before I swap them out as my main squat exercise. I feel overall stronger in certain positions than I ever did back squatting heavy.

Back